Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Kind of underwhelming...
Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Assistant Manager

Default Kind of underwhelming...

Okay, those of us who work in supermarkets, convenience stores, bars, restaurants, and other venues that either sell or serve alcohol have heard the wide range of tactics used by customers to circumvent ID laws. But with my considerable experience, I am astounded to report one I haven't encountered until last night. But (spoiler alert), it was actually rather disappointing.

Here's the rundown. A young woman (who looked to be about 15 or 16 years old) felt that a photo on her cell of her (alleged) ID was the same as actual ID. “Look,” she said, “It has my picture and date of birth and everything.”

No dice, princess.

Why NOT?, she demanded. “A picture's just as good as the real thing.”

Because NO IT ISN'T.

After a minute or two of back-and-forth, it finally occurs to her that I'm not going to back down on this. So she finally leaves, but not before firing off a (not really) ominous “You'll regret this.”

Okay, SERIOUSLY? “I'll regret this?” No specific threats of unemployment, vicious assault, or crippling lawsuit? No explicit suggestions of anatomically-improbable actions or colorful descriptions of my lineage or orientation? No dire implications of enlisting parental involvement? No promises... err, 'threats' of never shopping here again? No tantrum? Not even a little one? C'mon, you ain't even TRYING.

I.... I don't know what to do. I feel incomplete, like I've been deprived of something elemental and essential. Such an intriguing start, but such a lackluster finish. Why, it's almost like....

Oh, god. I'm dead, aren't I?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

She'll be back, and in greater numbers.

I've heard of the photo-of-an-ID before, but due to my work I've only ever had to face the photo-of-a-CC attempted method of payment. Just as ludicrous, just as likely to cause one to laugh in the face of one's "customers."

Old 02-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Flux capacitor technician.

One of the Australian states is talking about trialing digital licenses. So that's going to make having a night out interesting for some people when they go out.

Dakhur
Beyond the black stump, breeding the finest in combat wombats

Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
She'll be back, and in greater numbers.
Of course she/they will. I'm dead and in purgatory, after all.

Quote:
Quoth dakhur View Post
One of the Australian states is talking about trialing digital licenses. So that's going to make having a night out interesting for some people when they go out.
Presumably such a system will be a bit more sophisticated than an easily-Photoshopped picture of an ID on a cell phone.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Store Manager

If she'll be back, and in greater numbers... Dude, you're not in Purgatory, but somewhere a little less pleasant. On the plus side, you'll have a REASON for all the "Customers from Hell".

Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Buzzard View Post
If she'll be back, and in greater numbers... Dude, you're not in Purgatory, but somewhere a little less pleasant. On the plus side, you'll have a REASON for all the "Customers from Hell".
Ah, but eventually I'll die for real, so my suffering will be finite. Plus I get days off. Theoretically, any way.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 AM
Front End Supervisor

My favorite "lack of ID" experience is still the time someone said "I lost my wallet, but you can call my mom. She'll verify who I am."

Old 02-18-2019, 02:04 AM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Mriswith View Post
My favorite "lack of ID" experience is still the time someone said "I lost my wallet, but you can call my mom. She'll verify who I am."
I've been hit with similar attempts, though admittedly it's been a while. And they were shocked, and angered, that I'd tell them no. And, of course, the concept that people might lie to get what they want was utterly foreign to them.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

Next time they offer you a picture of an ID, you could always offer them a picture of the alcohol they're trying to buy.

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Squishyware engineer

Quote:
Quoth CyberLurch View Post
Of course she/they will. I'm dead and in purgatory, after all.

Presumably such a system will be a bit more sophisticated than an easily-Photoshopped picture of an ID on a cell phone.
Given the way government software contracts tend to go, I assure you that it will not.