Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the "boxed in on all sides" scenario, that's when Twitch brings in his Russian friend, Mr. Sikorski.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's interesting you say that.

Many many years ago, before I worked here, there was an incident that probably would have taken that to resolve.

The way the story goes, someone's car was stolen, taken on a joyride, driven up into stripmine county and disposed of by pushing it off a cliff and into an abandoned mine pit that had since filled with water.

Someone discovered the car, State Police divers investigated it, confirmed there was nobody in it, and got the make/model/VIN, looked it up, and realized it was stolen.

Owner of said car filed insurance claim, now that he knew he wasn't getting it back.

Insurance company demanded the car be salvaged, they wouldn't accept third-party verification for some reason.

Cops laughed and said "good luck with that" as there was no tow company on earth that could do it. The road into the place had grown over, and no truck could fit through the route they drove the car in without cutting down trees/clearing brush. Furthermore, it was several hundred feet down a sheer cliff and then under at least ten foot of water, there's no tow truck with a winch line that long and now tow company SCUBA trains it's drivers, we're towers for God's sake! Not Delta Force! (This is how my company got involved, the insurers called everyone in the area, not believing that it was impossible, until they were told, garage-by-garage that it was impossible.)

They then tried to contract a construction company to bring in a crane, that would have required at least TRIPLE the amount of tree clearing and grading to get one in there. They would have to literally build a road to the edge of the cliff (and possibly shore up the cliff too) before they could try and lift it out.

The expense for that adventure soon reached such projected costs that they started calling around looking to get a HELICOPTER and AIRLIFT it out.

I guess saner (or just cheaper) heads won out eventually because the car is still down there. But I don't know if the owner ever got his check for it.

For what his policy issuer was willing to spend, it would be ironic if they turned him down.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Insurance company demanded the car be salvaged, they wouldn't accept third-party verification for some reason.

For what his policy issuer was willing to spend, it would be ironic if they turned him down.
        Cynicism talking here, but I'd bet that's why the insurance company started making these outrageous, cost- and reality-prohibitive demands before cutting a check. Because they're insurance companies, and they hate having to pay out money, riiiiight?

(This was meant to be a joke. Obviously there are plenty of stupid people in the upper reaches of corporateosphere, where the air is thin.)
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Kinda funny you mention no tow company trains it's drivers as divers. Not true! We have one in Oshkosh where that's one of their specialties. http://www.jimsrepairandtowing.com/sunk.html

Comment

There's at least one tow truck company in my hometown that SCUBA trains divers, or at least has a crew that includes people who hitch a vehicle submerged deep enough to require a diver to a tow truck, as I've personally seen several vehicles pulled out of deep canals that way. Then again, there's a LOT of water in/around my hometown, so it makes sense that companies would have trained crew available to do that.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              Nope, can't move other vehicles and cannot forcibly open things like locked doors, locked gates, etc.
              Wish someone had told Ford Credit that, back in the '80s.

My neighbor, with whom we shared an 8-foot-wide driveway, had a Lincoln Town Car that was a lemon from day 1. They kept having it in to the dealership, and finally ceased payments for it under the Lemon Law. Ford responded by (illegally) repossessing the car. Since it was in the back of the driveway and my father's Delta 88 was in front, they (again, illegally) moved my father's car out of the way to get to it. Since they were in a tearing hurry to get in and out before my dad came out with his rifle, instead of properly hooking up the Olds to the truck, they just shoved something under the car and picked it up by the radiator support. Bent the hell out of everything under the hood, as we found out when my father found the car abandoned on the street, mostly in a parking spot.

We basically reported this to the insurance as a theft and recovery, and let them go after Ford for the damages. We did eventually get the deductible back, so I guess they collected.

(originally typo'd as "defuctable" for some reason. freudian slip maybe?)

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Near as I can tell from the shenanegans with my neighbor the only way to keep something from being repo'ed 100% is to lock it in a building and not let it out.
                My niece had a similar experience--she tried to run and hide (not paying mind you) and her ride eventually got the hook.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  We basically reported this to the insurance as a theft and recovery, and let them go after Ford for the damages. We did eventually get the deductible back, so I guess they collected.
                  Just out of curiosity, did you also call the police? Or just straight to insurance?
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    See: Buddy and his big ass truck. It's in Argabarga's posts and details someone trying to find the secret combo move to not be towed.
                    Anybody got a link? I can't find it.
                    Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

@ silvercat
                      Here you go:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=66653

Comment

Quoth SkullKing View Post
                        Awesome. Thanks!
                        Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          Just out of curiosity, did you also call the police? Or just straight to insurance?
                          Don't actually remember, it was a long time ago, but I suspect we did.

(I do have a vague memory of my neighbor telling me the tow operator tried to claim he was a cop. Impersonating a police officer is a felony, I believe.)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            (I do have a vague memory of my neighbor telling me the tow operator tried to claim he was a cop. Impersonating a police officer is a felony, I believe.)
                            In the context of the Hammer's Slammers series of sci-fi novels, that tow operator was a cop (to avoid using a "real-life" expletive, their scatalogical swear word was based on the Latin word for feces).
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Any further word on this?

Comment

There are lots and lots of "alternative" expletives used in fiction. One that Heinlein used was "tanj" - short for "There Ain't No Justice".

Comment

Working...
                                X