This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm Going a Little Nutty at Work

I'm a social person. It's part of my Meyer-Briggs Personality. (ENFP.) I've been enjoying my job recycling motors (tearing them down and taking the parts upstairs to get sold on Ebay) despite this. (I'm usually completely alone in the workroom, except for one day a week where I get a coworker.)

But I think I'm starting to go a little nuts.

I told a motor yesterday if it passed triage (meaning I couldn't tear it down fully or at all) then it was going to hell.

It passed triage.

You probably had a more intelligent conversation with that motor than I have had with some of my coworkers.

Want to swap jobs?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

There's nothing with going slightly mad Sometimes that's just what you gotta do, to deal with the madness all around you. Don't forget to inform the engine tomorrow that it doesn't have to worry about being sent to hell, as it's already there.

As an aside -- a) it's nice when you can tell the band had fun making the video b) is anyone else getting a Colin Mochrie vibe from John Deacon (I think) - the guy in the jester hat?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Now, why would going slightly mad be a problem? Didn't you know that some of the most creative minds on the planet could be considered a bit fruit-de-loop?

Quoth EricKei View Post
        As an aside -- a) it's nice when you can tell the band had fun making the video b) is anyone else getting a Colin Mochrie vibe from John Deacon (I think) - the guy in the jester hat?
        If you think they had fun making that, try watching "Breakthrough" or "I Want to Break Free"; great examples of bands having a blast! Contrast with the video for "We Will Rock You" where everyone looks thoroughly miserable as they tried to avoid frostbite (note Freddie's very unfashionable gloves nicked from a roadie).
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          But I think I'm starting to go a little nuts.
          Just don't forget the golden rule of solitary work:

It's ok to talk to yourself, it's ok to argue with yourself, but if you start losing the arguments, get help!

Comment

sms - That's pretty much my life philosphy

It seems i forgot to link the actual video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Just don't forget the golden rule of solitary work:

It's ok to talk to yourself, it's ok to argue with yourself, but if you start losing the arguments, get help!
              On that same note: It's okay to talk to inanimate objects. When the inanimate objects start talking back, and it's not an electronic feature of same inanimate object, then seek help.

ETA: One of my favorite lines I've used is, "I don't mind talking to myself. I'm always guaranteed semi-intelligent conversation."

It gets a smile/smirk/chuckle, and sometimes a double-take when they parse the "semi-" part of the line.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                It seems i forgot to link the actual video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0
                I see your "I'm Going Slightly Mad" and raise you an "I Want to Break Free" for sheer wackiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ

How many other rock bands of the time would be willing to take the piss out of themselves quite like that? Rock at the time took itself way too seriously.

I also submit a "Breakthrough" for sheer fun; the guys were like little boys with their own life size train set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjU9KVABao

RIP Freddie
                Last edited by greek_jester; 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM. Reason: Grammar is going down the tubes....
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Odd. both of yours are blocked in the US, even though the one I posted (same channel, it seems) is not.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                    I told a motor yesterday if it passed triage (meaning I couldn't tear it down fully or at all) then it was going to hell.

It passed triage.
                    What happened is, it thought you meant it. It's afraid of you.
                    "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

I know I'm sane. All the little voices tell me so...
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Odd. both of yours are blocked in the US, even though the one I posted (same channel, it seems) is not.
                        Huh. That is weird. I just tried logging out of YT & clicking on the link, so it's not that I was logged in when I copied it.

Anyway, just try searching for Queen "I Want to Break Free" or Queen "Breakthrough" and I'm sure they'll pop up.

Comment

I had one particularly rough day and I was sent in the cooler to fill some stuff. Well, let's just say that anyone who opened any of the doors might have gotten an earful though I doubt they would've heard me. I felt much better after cooling off.
                          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

It is all a matter of perspective and language. As long as you are not dangerous to your self (or others) then you are NOT crazy, just a bit Eccentric.

I am personally very Eccentric (not crazy), I just enjoy telling people I am crazy (see sig below). So many fun looks, so many fewer people bug me.
                            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                              It is all a matter of perspective and language. As long as you are not dangerous to your self (or others) then you are NOT crazy, just a bit Eccentric.
                              I'm not actually worried I'm going crazy. I'm already there. I've been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. I wondered for a long time about Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder, but it's more like I have the common cold and flu of mental disorders than pneumonia.

Comment

Working...
                              X