This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low prices cause...sinkholes?!

Title is what my mom said when she drove by and saw this.

This is what I walked up to on Sunday, around 4.

A water main had burst around 11AM; no damage inside the store (save for a soaked entry carpet; the water was gushing through the parking lot and came up to the doors), but they decided to close anyway as it was somehow affecting refrigeration and a few other systems. Also when the water was on it was coming from/flooding into every crack and hole it could find, so there were valid concerns about the stability of the asphalt on that side of the lot. I was told that the fire department could not shut the water off until they heard from the electric provider.

The only reason I was able to even go onto the property is that I had my uniform on and one of the water guys recognized me. ASM2 and SM were there; ASM2 said that if I wanted the hours I could stand in the driveway with another girl and tell people we were closed. Sure, weather's nice and we basically got paid for sitting/standing around and playing games.

Most people understood when I explained why we were closed, but there were a few whackaloons.

--Guy who insisted on being let in to buy smokes. "If you're closed why are the lights on?" Because we don't control the lights. The store is CLOSED. Do you see anyone inside? No? See the yellow tape? Good. Go away.
    --"Can I return my Redbox discs?" I can't let you on the property, but I can take the discs and return them for you. That's the only way they are getting returned at this location.
    --so many "But it's an emergency!" So is this. Will you pay my upkeep after I get suspended/fired for letting you into a CLOSED store? Didn't think so. The drugstore down the street has most of what you can't live without until tomorrow.

A couple oldsters somehow came from the back of the lot. There's a car wash there, and probably a cut-through to some of the houses on that side street.

I would finish explaining to one person who asked, during which time a few others came within earshot and I know they could hear what I was saying. The second one person walked away: "Are you open?" I was half expecting the local news to show up and want to know how many people thought the store was still open.

It wasn't a bad shift; free food and ASM2 brought us both inside once it got dark. Apparently I was the only afternoon-shift person who was NOT notified this had happened; yes I live less than a block away, but I wasn't home in the morning.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-19-2014, 09:36 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

It's an emergency-let me into a closed store! only works if you are a fireman,bomb disposal person,ambulance driver or something similar. Then yes,you do have a reason to be in there. I need to buy a packet of widgets is not an emergency. If the widget you desperately want is on the shelf,then do not worry-since no-one else is in the store,they will not buy it!
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

One of them tried to tail a fireman into the store; I guess the water crew/whoever was digging grazed an electrical line and it set off an alarm (no damage done to anyone or anything, luckily). They used that reasoning "But you let THEM in!" THEY are responding to an alarm.

No, the alarm in your own head at the lack of Cheez Doodles in your pantry doesn't count. (didn't say that, wish I had)

Comment

This happened to a shopping center a few towns west of me (also with a you know what) when parts of LI got slammed with 12 inches of rain last week. Perhaps it's divine retribution?

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          A water main had burst around 11AM; no damage inside the store (save for a soaked entry carpet; the water was gushing through the parking lot and came up to the doors),
          Ick, I hope they replace the carpet. We had a water main break that flooded the first floor of the building. Silty brown mess that slimed everything over in a fine layer of mud that smelt like poo. Which makes me wonder what was really in it.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            We had a water main break that flooded the first floor of the building. Silty brown mess that slimed everything over in a fine layer of mud that smelt like poo. Which makes me wonder what was really in it.
            Don't ask; ignorance is bliss. One of the things I've learned working at the hospital is it's really better if you don't know what that weird smell is.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

FYI: floods, whatever the cause, often cause sewer overflows. That's the primary reason why carpets have to be replaced.

Comment

No, the alarm in your own head at the lack of Cheez Doodles in your pantry doesn't count.
                Well, that's disappointing

What about coffe? Chocolate? Wine? Yogurt? And...and...uh...Never mind.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Coffee to me is a valid reason (not the crap in the 'coffee machine' though)

I remember (for one or two people) offering to go inside, buy whatever the customer wanted and bring it out to them, but no. That would require them trusting a wage slave with money and their store card...also, I wouldn't be surprised if they had no idea how much money they would need.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Well, that's disappointing

What about coffe? Chocolate? Wine? Yogurt? And...and...uh...Never mind.
                    Condoms. Would those be enough of an emergency?
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      Condoms. Would those be enough of an emergency?

Something tells me that would be the same type of customer who would show up 9 months later and tell you that your company needs to pay HIS child support all b/c he couldn't get in while the store was closed so he could get a box of condoms.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

On the other hand, don't we kinda WANT someone who can't figure out an alternative to a closed for an emergency store to have as many condoms as possible?

Comment

Working...
                        X