Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Those New Registers We Just Got . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Those New Registers We Just Got . . .

I posted over in MiM a few weeks ago about the new registers/computer/POS system that was recently installed a couple of weeks ago.

Well, other than a few freeze ups, the system had been running fairly decent (handhelds also for the most part except right around 10:30-11 a.m. when they'd move sooo slow for a short time, but I digress) until yesterday.

Yesterday I checked on my FB mobile and saw one of my coworkers had posted we had a power outage at work when she arrived at 6 am. Turns out it only lasted a couple of hours but it wrecked utter havoc with our new POS system.

From what I heard from one of the cashiers who worked both yesterday and today, the new registers didn't boot right back up after the power was restored. They finally were able to get ONE register up and running (out of 7 registers including the CS desk) only the last register (#6 all the way at the far end by the Produce department) was the only register that was running ALL DAY Sunday!!!

You can guess how everybody's day went from there . . .

Today, Register #6 was still running at full capacity, and our Express (#3) was only taking cash and debit/credit cards (no EBT or cash back from debit) when we opened this morning. The remaining registers AFAIK were still down.

Around 11:30 or so I saw a tech show up and he still didn't know when the other registers would be up. Lines out the ass at register #6, a few at #3 and Grasshopper on the phone back and forth with the Helpless Desk (and we're also trying to prep for yet another INVENTORY on Thursday on top of this!)

Poor girl who was running Express was frazzled to say the least. She'd worked yesterday as well and it was nothing but customers griping/complaining/yelling at the cashiers to make the registers work right, yadda yadda yadda. She was manning #3, but it was moving slower than molasses in winter and the only complaint I heard was from one of the regulars who comes in on the group home bus.

Dude decided to whine about waiting in line and asked for a couple of packs of cigs, which was fine but "Give me two packs of Blah menthols so I don't have to wait in line all day" earned him a "You're not going to wait all day. She'll be done in just a minute" from me as I set his smokes on the counter and went back to counting the loose packs.

Finally before I left they had all the other registers back up and running. Baby Beavis came in around 2 (he's closing MOD tonight) and just shuddered in terror as he talked about the chaos from yesterday.

They may be sleek and high tech but utterly useless when the power goes out and I can now see why they don't have a reset button (like the old system did) to reboot it when it goes down. We now have to call the Helpless Desk for that (even the handhelds now - there is a menu icon for warm boot but if that doesn't work, we have to call in to get a cold boot done remotely. No longer do we get to play contortionist while pressing down 1, 9 and power button all at once.)

And the store is billed for each call to the Helpless Desk (which I think is part of my answer as to why we have no reset button on these new thingies.)

Frankly I'm surprised they held out this long before they decided to have a major meltdown worthy of Chernobyl. Two weeks since the new system went live.

Just hope the handhelds don't go down as well. Somebody may find mine shoved up in their netherlands.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)
Working...
X