This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish CS.com

Is it just me, or today from about 4:00pm est on was cs.com really sluggish? (3/27/2012). Each page would take forever to load..and replying to pms was a difficult process. I cleared out cookies (even entire history), tried different browsers (IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome) with the same result.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

CPU seems fine, traffic normal - we're assuming the data centre is having a brainfart. Hopefully it should clear itself shortly.

If it's not sorted by the time I'm up, I reckon we need to start asking questions.

Rapscallion

Comment

It's been sluggish for me on and off for a few days now (including right now), but I'd just assumed that my internet was acting wonky.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

It's run fine for me lately until this last 20 minutes. Definitely sluggish.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Aye, it's definitely spurty. All indications are that the CPU and traffic are at normal levels, so were it a DDOS or some sort of malware we'd see alterations in those. Logical option is the datacentre getting it's undies in a twist.

Rapscallion

Comment

Due to the way I access the web at work, every day is a fresh install as far as my browser is concerned. This means that dialogues we usually take for granted & dismiss once never to be seen again are always re-appearing as a constant reminder of how paranoid the web makes you...

I'm always having "are you sure you want to submit this data" popups every time I navigate to the forum or any major page there-in (multi-page threads are the only occassion it may not appear), and only on this forum; if I turn off Flash I also get plugin complaints, but if I leave it turned on there's no visible difference to the page so I'm not entire sure what Flash is being used for anyway... Oh, forgot to say - the one time I'd expect to get this popup but don't is when I submit posts!

Has something perhaps been snuck into the back-end code that could be accounting for the sluggishness?
            Last edited by RealUnimportant; 03-29-2012, 06:09 AM.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

for the last couple of weeks or so I have been getting non-responce messages when accessing CS. It ALWAYS does this at EXACTLY 3am my time which would be 8am GMT. the no responce thing only lasts for 1 or maybe 2 minutes, then I can view the board again. It always happens then I click to view a thread at 3am (or 8am GMT).

This does not seem to happen when I access the Fratching site at that time.

Any suggestions???
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Almost certainly backing up the database at that time, or some other server-smashing task. Pedersen would have a far better idea as to what it is precisely.

Rapscallion

Comment

Just checked, and it's more than just backing up the databases. It's backing up everything: Databases, avatars, custom stuff, everything.

The major issue we have is that the CS posts database is *huge*. And by huge, I mean that the posts, plus the index for it, is almost 1G of space *by itself*. The backup locks the database while it's in progress, which takes a minute or two, so it's a match for what you're seeing, and when.

I'll look to see if we can improve that somehow.

Comment

Working...
                  X