Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Before You Cry (language, longish, ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Before You Cry (language, longish, ranty)

*cookies to anyone who gets the reference*

So I just got done dealing with a real piece of work (I hope). Someone lost their keys for a 2004 Dodge, they want a key made; okay! It's 3am on saturday of memorial day weekend; who knows? maybe I'll get lucky!
    For most modern vehicles there's now a transponder ship in the key that's part of the anti-theft system, allot of locksmiths can program them, but if you don't have the code you're going to have to wait until the dealership opens to either have them make the key or for the locksmith to get the code from the dealership.
    I got ahold of a locksmith, he asks if I have the code, I tell him no, but I'd check with the customer and call him back if we did (normally I'd call back either way but it sounded like I woke him up, another common occurrance on night shift). I called the vehicle owner, explained the key protocols for modern vehicles and ask if she has the code, she says no. I explained that I can have someone come tow her vehicle to her house or the dealership and unlock the door so she can retrieve any valuables/neccecities (the notes said her house keys were inside the car), but, of course, this wasn't good enough.
    All of a sudden it becomes my fault that she lost her keys, and my problem that she can't use her car to get home, or to work in 5 hours, and tells me that a key has been made before after business hours and out in the country (you know them countreh folk ain't got all these new fangled gadjets), so I tell her I'll keep looking.
    I call 4 more locksmiths with no success, get a second opinion from a co-worker who's knowledgeable in this area, and my supervisor concurred when he checked up to see why I was taking so long on the ticket; there was nothing we could do to get her a key on the spot.
    I called her back and gave her the bad news and she gave me the task of finding a dealership that was open early on saturday because she had to be to work at 8:30. Did I mention that it's Memorial Day Weekend??? I started looking at local dealership websites with her on the line, and it wasn't looking good, while I'm doing this she's making snide comments to her friends about how every time she calls *company* it's never a simple process, blah, blah, blah... Thanks, thanks allot for shitting on the fact that I could have put my foot down 10 minutes ago but chose to hold your spoiled little hand and walk you through the process of a breakdown, I have seen 16 year olds think more clearly than you in much harsher weather (no offence to the younger crowd on here).
    After listening to this for a minute or so, I tell her I'll call her back once I find a place that's open saturday. She asks me to get someone on the way to at least unlock the car. I hang up with her and call my lead driver asking him to head that direction to unlock it and to please advise of a Dodge dealership open on Saturday; He points out that it's Memorial Day weekend. Regaurdless, I soldiered on; he took the adress and I told him to plan on towing it, I just didn't know where yet.
    I pick through dealiership websites and find one that opens at 7am on Saturday that's in the metropolitan area that doesn't say anything about special hours for the holiday. I call my driver, tell him the good news, and ask him if he's willing to go as far as this suburb (He's the only one on for the inner city at night); he reminds me that it's memorial day weekend and that the dealership may not be open, but says he'll take it there if that's what she wants (sometimes I feel more like a negotiator than a dispatcher).
    I call the vehicle owner back and explain my feat of awesome, but re-iterate that it's Memorial Day Weekend and that we couldn't be sure that they would be open. Given the distance and the prospect of it sitting there all weekend she finally decides to take it to her home. Yay! Progress! I explain that we can certainly do that and that the driver would be there in 10 minutes (already on the way for the unlock), it's what she said next that made me, my co-worker, and my boss all shake our heads and laugh a bit.

"Do I need to be here when he gets here? because my friend was going to take me back to where I lost my keys to look for them."

Order of operations anyone??? seriously, arguing with me over how you're going to get around without your car would come AFTER looking for your lost keys if you were a logical person of sound mind. But no, you had to call us and cry that something went wrong before even attempting to resolve even a portion of this situation on your own. I'm curious to know if she had a spare at home, because I've seen a few calls simaler to this cancel because they were able to get a ride home to get their spare set (which everyone should have for their car IMO).
    <rant Let's examine another side of this; the whining about not having her car. I've been doing this for a few years, there have been days in the winter where I talked to at least a hundred people, but I have never had someone ask me like it was my problem to resolve how they were supposed to get transporation since their car was out of commission. No, I can't reach into the realm of things beyond my influence and pull out a magic want that will make everything all better, all I can do is give you the facts of the situation and offer options as politely as possible through gritted teeth after explaining them 20 times already! /rant>

and please tell me someone got the reference in the thread title?!
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

As for the thread title, the only thing that comes to mind is a old commercial (well, maybe it's not old but I haven't seen it in a long time) having to do with posting your image on the internet. About how, ya know, that's a bad thing to do.

Think before you post. (You Tube Vid)

So where's it from?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
      *cookies to anyone who gets the reference*

and please tell me someone got the reference in the thread title?!
      Oh, I know this one, and it's so sweet of you to remember.

This takes me back to my old theatre days, back when I was in review with my old university chums from Oxford. This was in the days between the wars, you see, and punts were back in fashion, so we held a soiree on the river itself, in a jolly large punt, and acted out our own version of 'La Morte de Arthur." Mallory's version was so dry, you see - we 'wetted' it with rather too much sweet wine to balance it out, and we were all giggly. One might even say 'squiffy'.

Anyway, Rafferty the Younger had taken the part of 'Morgana le Fay', and instead of the immortal line, "Sucks to be you, Merlin," he came out with just the above quotation before belching loudly and falling into the river. It was a triumph of improvisation and the audience loved us, though the critic from the Oxford Gazette, in saying that we were stumbling around the 'raft' (can you believe he called it a raft! The nerve!) like drunken students usually do, had obviously missed the symbolism.

So, 1935's adaptation of La Morte De Arthur, as performed by the Oxford Fledgelings, our rather natty name for our drama and drinking group.

Do I win a cookie?

Rapscallion

Comment

It reminds me of the "Think before you link" line Cole Richards tells Jade Fontaine in the Sexual Harassment storyline of PvP (www.pvponline.com)
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Raps, that's quite a tale; but no, it hasn't been revealed yet.

Seeing as there's cookies at stake I'll wait a bit to kill it
          "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Dispatch, I love you, want to run away together?
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
              Dispatch, I love you, want to run away together?
              Sure, where are we going?

Comment

I don't know......someplace with a beach?
                My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

There's beach near me...

then again, it's New Jersey...
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

hmmmm.....we should pick up bookstore escapee then off to a warm beach?

This si turning into a CS roadttrip again isnt it?

Comment

Got lots of beaches here
                      I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

That's all fine with me, heck I'll even drive as long as we can share out the gas, pack light, and there's some Bad Religion on the stereo!

Comment

Was she sober?
                          Couldn't she take the car home, look through any paperwork, find the number the locksmith needs, and call the locksmith early?
                          I have older cars, so I don't know if its included in the papers.
                          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

she sounded sober, but ya never know

The problem with going home and looking through paperwork is that it would require independence, which she clearly demonstrated a lack of

Comment

All I can say about this is, "Wow." There are no other words.
                              This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

Working...
                              X