This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth South Texan View Post
    What did those two do that was so wrong?
    I have no problem with people and their beliefs. You can believe anything under the sun that you want. You believe in the Christian God? Awesome. You're a Muslim? Cool. You practice Wikka? Great.

However, the second you try and push your beliefs on someone else, that's not cool. Let people do what they want, and stop trying to make them think like you do. Especially strangers.

And as someone else pointed out, when you're bagging their groceries or whatever, you're a captive audience. Proselytizing someone in a retail setting is completely rude, disrespectful, and really just out of place.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      So, how bout them Yankees?
      Why is it always the yankees?
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
        Why is it always the yankees?
        So, how's about that local sports team, eh?
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
          That's the whole point. Most of the people here are a captive audience while at work. And, they are definitely not permitted to give ruder responses. A rude response can get people written up and potentially fired.
          This reminds me of my personal stalker at my first bookstore job. She seemed to assume I was a member of one religion because I happened to be stocking that section. Went way downhill from there; she assumed we were bosom buddies and would all but barge into the backroom to seek me out. She even had her own few pages in the secret "customers from hell" binder in the backroom (contained names, descriptions and updated summaries of their antics). Ultimately it took many other coworker complaints to get her banned.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
            However, the second you try and push your beliefs on someone else, that's not cool. Let people do what they want, and stop trying to make them think like you do. Especially strangers.
            I guess you and I have a differing definition of "pushing" beliefs on someone. Simply asking if someone has heard of whatever belief you have and offering to speak with them if they have not does not meet my definition of "pushing" a belief on anyone.

Quoth Apathy View Post
            And as someone else pointed out, when you're bagging their groceries or whatever, you're a captive audience. Proselytizing someone in a retail setting is completely rude, disrespectful, and really just out of place.
            If a person is getting in the employee's face and yelling something like "You are going to hell" or "My God will punish you for (whatever) unless you think like I do" or was grabbing the employee or refusing to stop talking about the religion once the employee gave a polite "No Thank You", then I would agree that the person was out of line and out of place. Simply asking if the employee has heard of whatever religious belief the person holds and offering to share information does not cross the rude or disrespectful line in my way of thinking.

The two women in the original story simply asked if the employee had a church and, when were told the answer was no, asked why that was. To me, that sounded like an invitation to attend their church was coming. When it was obvious that the employee was not interested and did not want to speak with them, they stopped. To me, that is not rude or disrespectful in the least. And I still do not see why they were called "religious nuts" or were held up as something to laugh at.
            Last edited by South Texan; 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I used to get bothered with people trying to push their religion on me AT MY HOUSE! No, not Jehovah witnesses... Mormons and catholics. I know, WTF? People trying to get me to go to their churches because I was "new the to the neighborhood". (Even though I'd lived there for several years, I was new to them) Well, don't get me wrong, you're nice people and all but you missed the "No Trespassing" Sign on the way in, right? Time to release the hounds!

Killer! Hannibal! FETCH! (for the record, killer and hannibal would either not exist, or be kittens. Depending on the time and whim of my fancy.)

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              So, how's about that local sports team, eh?
              So how's them maple leaves? (For those ignorant of what a "sport" is. Like Me! )
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                Geez.. groupies..
                We're not all groupies.

(The picture I had of Crazeyal and I in our respective costumes seems to have disappeared, so this will just have to do until I can get another.)

Comment

I guess you and I have a differing definition of "pushing" beliefs on someone.
                  Yes, it seems we do.
                  I have some religious beliefs, but they're my business, and I don't talk about them. For me, religion is a personal thing. For others, it isn't, and that's fine, but there's a time and place to discuss it.
                  But if a stranger brings up religion, I believe their motive is to persuade me to their way of thinking. They're not just striking up a friendly chat, or they'd be talking about the weather.
                  For most people (I think, at least) this kind of thing is uncomfortable. Someone you don't know is bringing up pretty personal stuff. I don't care for that anywhere, let alone having someone do it at my job.
                  I think this kind of thing crosses a line for many people (I know it does for me).

The two women in the original story simply asked if the employee had a church and, when were told the answer was no, asked why that was.
                  I would be annoyed by this. This really isn't their business, and I'd say it's rude to ask.

And I still do not see why they were called "religious nuts" or were held up as something to laugh at.
                  I can see taking offense at the "nuts," but I think it was just an easy and salient phrase to use. And as for being laughed at: I doubt that was the point at all. The OP's just telling us about something annoying that happened to him at work.

It probably feels like I'm attacking you, ST, but I'm trying not to. I'm just trying to make the point that while this seems natural to you, it might rub other people the wrong way.
                  Last edited by Apathy; 05-27-2008, 07:33 PM.
                  Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

PERFECT RESPONSE!

I never have understood why people on this board become so worked up over anyone wanting to share a religious belief. It is not as if the religious person's motives are evil. The person is trying to share with you something that person has found that he/she feels is good and would be good for you as well. What is so wrong with that? I get the feeling there may be a little guilt behind the fury and bravado given as replies to these people.
                    Have you ever noticed how cults like to send their recruiters to where people can't just leave, like airports. It's the same thing, only worse. Faithheads love it when it is a one sided conversation and they don't have to deal with any of that hard thinky stuff. Retail employees can't simply walk away or tell them why their wrong. Forcing a captive audience to listen to your ramblings about your imaginary friends is abusive. That's where the fury comes from.
                    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

So...a boy, a girl, and a dog walk into a bar...

or..

a dyslexic man walks into a bra

no?

I don't know too many jokes.

How's the weather where you are?
                      Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 05-27-2008, 07:33 PM.
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Whee - another closed thread!

Raspcallion

Comment

Working...
                        X