Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ouch dammit!-well that sucked-or 2nd degree burns are fun!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ouch dammit!-well that sucked-or 2nd degree burns are fun!

ok necessary backgroud info: so all the testing media we make in the lab gets autoclaved at around 250 degrees Fahrenheit(or 121 Celcius) We have to have an internal temperature with a submersion thermometer. Now when autoclaving media in test tubes we can't put a thermometer in the test tube, so we have it in a flask of water. Now us lab assistants keep the water level in the flask at about halfway (250 ml erlenmeyer flask)-my boss fills it to within a half-inch from the top.

Well apparently my boss had "adjusted" the water level in the flask I put in the autoclave and didn't bother telling me because when I shifted the flask to get the test tube racks out of the autoclave-flask went 'splodie-all over my arm. I now have 2nd degree burns on my elbow-we have one less flask(I dropped and broke it), and our "over a year with no reportable accidents" chart has been reset.

everything that's red is a blister-this sucks-and this is a bad pic but it actually goes all the way across my elbow-and there's a total of 5 large blisters
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-19-2010, 01:09 AM.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

UHGGGG!

Sorry to hear about that, Blaque!

Burns suck big time. I learned that the hard way as a cold soldering iron looks *exactly* the same as a hot soldering iron.

OUCHIE!

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Owie! *winces*

I can't imagine how irritating that's going to be while it's healing.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Holy crap! Kinda goes without saying, but document everything and have injury reports out the wazoo. I've never had a burn that big/bad, so please make sure you have proper care instructions so you don't get an infection. And methinks a new posted policy should be in place regarding boiley liquids. Hopefully that means people will follow it. Good luck and I hope you heal quickly!
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I don't know how well it would work with a burn that size, but aloe vera gel can really help with the pain and heat.

I really hope your arm heals up soon!!
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Ouch. I hope there is something in writing about what the water level is supposed to be at and that your boss gets chewed-out for adding more water! Hope it heals without any problems. I'd try aloe gel, or actually slicing aloe plant leaves and laying them on the burns; it works really well!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Holy biscuit!!!
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That looks painful. I recently gave myself a very bad second degree burn back in November in the oven, but not as big as yours. That's going to hurt like hell for a while. My advice to you is to keep it covered until the blisters go away. I was using A&D ointment and those Johnson & Johnson petroleum burn dressings, and then wrapping it in an elastic bandage. DO NOT BREAK THOSE BLISTERS!

Comment

Wot 'e said. Don't break the blisters. Keep them covered with bandages. Change the bandages twice a day, ideally. When changing the bandages, apply the appropriate burn cream.

2nd degree burns suck, especially those from boiling water. I know this from painful experience. Hope it heals up soon.

Comment

Actually, if you talk to your pharmacy they should be able to get you some decent sized Hydrocolloid dressings (they may have this on the shelves but they're probably too small). Whilst they're not that much more effective than a good ointment, dressing and bandage in regards to healing time they can be left on longer (reduces infection chance) and because they're a gel there's less chance of scarring.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

there's no pain(2nd degree burns usually don't hurt-the nerves get cooked)-and trust me I've had worse so I know how to deal with it(2nd and 3rd degree burns on both legs when I was 22)-I'm good it's just really annoying.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

OUCH all the same.

*offers chocolate*
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          there's no pain(2nd degree burns usually don't hurt-the nerves get cooked)-
                          Almost correct. 2nd degree are the most painful (actual) burns, yet the second most serious.

1st degree - painful. These are burns to only the outer layer of skin. Characterized by redness, it may swell and be tender. These generally don't blister.

2nd degree - very very painful. These are burns to the first and second layers of skin. Almost immediate blistering, extreme redness, and swelling. Like ShetenshiSenshi said - don't break the blisters. That's a one-way ticket to infectionville.

3rd degree - This is the most severe. The burn goes totally through the skin and the burn may involve fat and muscle. The skin usually looks charred (think hamburger) or ashy, leathery, and whitish. The actual burn usually doesn't hurt because the nerve endings are fried (due to the burn going through the skin), but the area around the burn usually hurts because those nerve endings are still intact. These usually result in permanent damage.

I'm not a doctor (though I have years of first aid training), but it definitely sounds like a 2nd degree burn because it blistered but you didn't mention it turning ashy or leathery or anything. At any rate, because it does cover a relatively large part of your arm, I would recommend getting it checked out. The fact that it doesn't hurt probably means that you have a very high pain tolerance. 2nd degree burns SHOULD hurt....

Good luck with it!
                          Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

this is what I have

Second-degree burns are injuries to the skin caused by heat, radiation, electricity, chemicals, or friction. These burns are also called partial-thickness burns.

Deep partial-thickness burns injure deeper skin layers and are white with red areas. They are often caused by contact with hot oil, grease, soup, or microwaved liquids. This kind of burn is not painful, but it can cause a sensation of pressure. The skin looks spotted, remains white when pressed, may appear waxy in some areas, and is dry or slightly moist.

and it's healing fine with neosporin and aquaphor dressings-which is what I used for my third-degree burns-I've been in enough for various burns I know what to look for and how to treat them(it has turned white in spots and looks a bit waxy/leathery-the dead skin of the blisters is drying/resorbing-but no sign of infection.

Comment

Working...
                            X