This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking the Coorperate Kool-Aid

Orientation is finally over, and I start actual work tomorrow. Thank Yoda it was only two days. Fark, I hate orientation. Too much coorperate crap. I as a patient really do not care how long a tech has been a tech, just as long as they know what they're doing. Just because a nurse has been a nurse for 20+ years doesn't mean that nurse is any better than the one fresh out of nursing school. In fact, the newbies haven't been corrupted or developed the bad habits some of the long-timers have. But the suits want us to tell every single patient about our skills and all the other typical butt-kissing we're all used to be ordered to do to make our patients happy. Personally, I'm more concerned with not making patients any sicker than they already are.

And another odd thing happened. I get home to check my employment e-mail account, and lo and behold, an interview request.....from the company that just hired me. I know I applied for several jobs throughout the hospital system, but I don't remember all of them. And of course the e-mail didn't say which job they wanted to interview me for. I replied letting the recruiter know I had already accepted a position within the organization and cannot pursue any further opportunities at this time.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I'm sure there's probably a reason for the skills declaration and butt-kissing. To give a couple examples:

If I saw someone very young-looking, I'd instinctively wonder how qualified they were. It has nothing to do with ability, it's a stereotype and I fall right into it, even if I try not to. One tends to assume that an older person has experienced more than a younger person.

That said, nothing beats body language. Until someone is 100% comfortable and trained in a position, it's likely the employee moves slower and more cautiously than an experienced worker. If a nurse is visibly nervous while trying to stick a needle in my arm, it will freak me out more than someone who is confident and misses the vein.

Good luck, I hope the job works out great for you!
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      If I saw someone very young-looking, I'd instinctively wonder how qualified they were. It has nothing to do with ability, it's a stereotype and I fall right into it, even if I try not to. One tends to assume that an older person has experienced more than a younger person.
      I've been in that position. I look a LOT younger than I really am. Really, I'm 22, but with my hair done up in pig-tails, I can pass for 12. And yet there were people in my program old enough to be my parents. And honestly, the hospital wouldn't let me practice if I wasn't licensed/competent, or--in the case of students--working directly under the supervison of someone who was.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons for corporate's junk, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And honestly, with this being my first job straight out of college, my credentials aren't that impressive. And I don't feel I need to advertise that fact to my patients. I know what I'm doing and my age has nothing to do with it.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

You are LUCKYYYY your orientation was only 2 days!! Mine as a new RN was 2 WEEKS!! TWO F**KING WEEKS, of nothing but classroom shit. I was ready to jump off the roof by the end of it.

Good Luck with the new job.

Comment

Working...
        X