This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I catch a Physician's mistake

I'm loving my new job as a Nuc Med tech. It seriously rocks. However, now that I'm back in the game, I'm reminded how little some doctors know.

Friday we had a patient scheduled for a bone scan. Easy enough, I do bone scans day in and day out. I can practically do one in my sleep. So, the guy comes in early afternoon with his paperwork. Like a good little tech, the first thing I do is check the order. It reads:

"Whole Body Bone Scan (Ceratech)"

*insert screeching brakes and record scratchy noises here*

The doctor (or more likely his PA or NP) has ordered two COMPLETELY different scans. For bone scans, we inject the tracer, wait 2-4 hours, and then take about 30 minutes' worth of pictures (including a whole body scan). Generally we do them for cancer staging or injury that other scans haven't picked up (since we're looking at the metabolism of the bone cells, we can pick up fractures that X-ray can't see).

A Ceratech scan is used to find out if there is an infection somewhere. We draw blood, send it off to the pharmacy so they can tag it with the tracer, reinject the tagged blood, wait a couple hours, and then image. Obviously a much longer process than your garden variety bone scan, and not one we're going to start at 1pm on a Friday.

So, I called up the doctor's office to verify the order. The doctor wants the Ceratech scan. Super. Guess who gets to break the news to the patient who already looks like he doesn't feel good? Thankfully, the patient took it in stride and has been rescheduled for Wednesday.

Seriously, doc. Pls to learn what scan you actually want? kthxbai.

tl;dr version, doctor ordered two completely different tests and actually wanted the one that was going to take waaaaaaay longer so the patient came in for nothing and we wasted a Tc dose that could have been used elsewhere.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

At least they didn't make the mistake one of the hospitals in town nearly made, that would've killed my grandpa.

He was in to have...something done. Some doctor or other medical-talking guy prescribed for him a combination of drugs that would've induced a massive heart attack.

Fortunately a nurse caught the error and grandpa was sent home without anything being done to him.

And then years later, my mom broke her leg and got admitted to that same hospital, where they failed to notice she had a blood clot until she began complaining of extreme pain and we pressed the doctors, because even with a broken leg she shouldn't have been in that much pain.

Both happened at the hospital closest to us--just a few blocks away from the house. From then on, anytime any of us needed medical attention, we went out of our way to the hospital in the next town over. It's not as if anything that's happened to us has been a medical emergency thus far.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

irv you might wanna check out iguard - it's a website that monitors your medications and tells you if any combos will have bad interactions. also they warn you if there's recalls on anything you take

Comment

Working...
      X