Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the third year I've had the flu jab now. Before I was coming down with a god-awful chest infection every winter - one year it turned into walking pneumonia. Ever since I've starting having the jab? A cold at most. One week of feeling moderately shit instead of two weeks of going to the loo being like climbing Pen Y Fan. Helps slightly that my doctor's practice recommends I get one, even though the only way I can see the flu affecting my epilepsy is that it could affect my medication's efficacy. This year I got mine the first day our local supermarket started offering them.

As for reactions, the first year I got it my upper arm swelled up like a sausage quite interestingly, but it went down.

As for blood tests, I'm probably due one soon to test whether my drugs aren't destroying my liver...if my daft GP can bother remembering that is... >.<
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

People who have chronic health conditions are at most risk from influenza, along with the very young and the very old.

I won't pretend getting the shot is suck free . . . it's just better than the alternative of getting the flu.

Remind your daft GP. Empower your own health!
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This talk of sore arm for a couple of days confuses me.

I've never gotten a flu shot but I used to have to get blood drawn like once a month while I was on dilantin. My arm was sore maybe a couple hours, tops... and I also sat there watching the needle go in and the blood come out into the vial.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post

I've never gotten a flu shot but I used to have to get blood drawn like once a month while I was on dilantin. My arm was sore maybe a couple hours, tops... and I also sat there watching the needle go in and the blood come out into the vial.
          When you get a flu jab, the jab stimulates your immune system. As you arm is the site of "infection" (yes, I know, that's why it's in quotes) that is where you get the strongest reaction from your body's defences. It feels a bit like an infected wound; hot and swollen, and you often get joint ache.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I've never had the flu shot, but I've had rabies shots twice (don't ask). The ones in the hip left me so sore that I could barely walk for two days. I've had blood drawn lots of times and suffered nothing more than some bruising. Seconding the idea that it is the injection itself, not the needle, that causes soreness.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post

When you get an injection, the fluid displaces healthy muscle tissue, resulting in short term soreness as the fluid is absorbed by the muscle.

With vaccinations, the immune system is stimulated, resulting in the "icks" for a day or two, and increased swelling and soreness because the inflammatory system is also stimulated. These symptoms are self limiting and resolve within a few days.

When you get a blood draw, the needle only goes into a vein, and so the injury to the site is very limited unless the tech blows the stick.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                When you get an injection, the fluid displaces healthy muscle tissue, resulting in short term soreness as the fluid is absorbed by the muscle.
                I'm sure you're simplifying things for non-medical readers, but that's true mainly for one of the 3 types of injection (intramuscular) and partially for a second (subcutaneous - you're forcing the fluid into a space that's not meant for it), but not for the third (intraveinous). Depending on the type of shot, it may NEED to be done in a particular manner (I've heard of some veterenary injections where part of the procedure is to pull back on the plunger to see if it draws blood - if it does, it's a "bad stick" because the medication is intended for the slow release of an IM shot, and is dangerous with the quick release of an IV shot).
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Flu shot is (I believe) intramuscular.

That, plus the possible (NOT guaranteed) immune system activity is what causes the sore arm and/or generalised 'ickiness'.

I'm one of the ones who gets a fake-flu (ie, full-on immune system response) for several days. But so far, I'm the only one in the thread who's mentioned that at all; and it's likely that if anyone else gets it, they'd have said it. Others have mentioned feeling a bit off/icky/sick/whatever for a day or two, but not to the level I get.

Ergo; this thread plus the scientific data I've seen tells me that my level of reaction is REALLY rare. Besides, I prefer a controlled and mild fake-flu at a time I control to a real, dangerous flu at a random time!
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I'm sure you're simplifying things for non-medical readers, but that's true mainly for one of the 3 types of injection (intramuscular) and partially for a second (subcutaneous - you're forcing the fluid into a space that's not meant for it), but not for the third (intraveinous). Depending on the type of shot, it may NEED to be done in a particular manner (I've heard of some veterenary injections where part of the procedure is to pull back on the plunger to see if it draws blood - if it does, it's a "bad stick" because the medication is intended for the slow release of an IM shot, and is dangerous with the quick release of an IV shot).
                    I was talking specifically about IM injections since injected flu vaccines (not the nasal form) are given IM.

All IM injections require the provider to "aspirate" or pull back on the plunger before injecting the solution. If blood is seen, the needle is in a blood vessel, and the injection cannot be given; the needle is withdrawn, the syringe thrown away, and a new one prepared. This is to avoid putting the solution directly into the circulatory system, ie IV.

Sub Q injections are no longer aspirated as the meds given this way are meant to become systemic, and the risk of substantial bruising is high when you aspirate.

Some IM meds are given Z track: you pull on the skin so that where the needle enters the skin and the muscle are not lined up over one another, preventing leaking of the solution out. We do this for iron shots (which can stain the skin) or meds that cause irritation to the fatty tissue.

The only IV vaccine I know of is for malaria; it's not often given. Some immune globulins are given IV, but very few. There is no IV form of flu vaccine or the common childhood vaccines.

Most vaccines are meant to be given IM in the deltoid (upper arm). It's rare for them to be preferred in the ventrogluteal (hip), if so it's because deeper muscle mass means more even absorption.

The thigh (vastus lateralus) is not preferred because it is highly vascular.

Comment

I got mine the last two years. Then a mild cough started that lasted a couple of weeks.

I haven't gotten the flu shot yet this year, but I have come down with bronchitis. I'm now wondering if the timing of the shots in the past years and getting the cough were really just coincidence.

Comment

Most vaccines are meant to be given IM in the deltoid (upper arm). It's rare for them to be preferred in the ventrogluteal (hip), if so it's because deeper muscle mass means more even absorption.

The thigh (vastus lateralus) is not preferred because it is highly vascular.
                        Boy, do you know how to freak a needle-phobe out. You can't just stick to talking about it, you have to provide pictures.

As for the thigh bit: almost all the Evil Princess's baby vaccines were given in her chunky little baby thigh. Of course that was about the only part of her that had any serious meat at the time, but still.
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                          I got mine the last two years. Then a mild cough started that lasted a couple of weeks.

I haven't gotten the flu shot yet this year, but I have come down with bronchitis. I'm now wondering if the timing of the shots in the past years and getting the cough were really just coincidence.
                          Yes, they really were just coincidence. At the same time flu season starts, summer cold season (enteroviruses) is winding down, and winter cold season (rhinoviruses) is winding up. Fall is also allergy season for many people. I love Fall for the colorful leaves, and the milder weather, but my allergies right now are kicking my ass.

Do you smoke? Smoking + seasonal allergies or other upper respiratory viruses = bronchitis in many people on a yearly basis.

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                          Boy, do you know how to freak a needle-phobe out. You can't just stick to talking about it, you have to provide pictures.

As for the thigh bit: almost all the Evil Princess's baby vaccines were given in her chunky little baby thigh. Of course that was about the only part of her that had any serious meat at the time, but still.
                          Yeah, I was thinking about vaccines for adults. Vaccines in babies are given in the thigh because it's the only muscle developed enough for it. The "butt" or ventro gluteal muscle is not used until the child is walking, and the deltoid in babies and small children is not large enough.

Comment

Do you smoke? Smoking + seasonal allergies or other upper respiratory viruses = bronchitis in many people on a yearly basis.
                            Nope. Never smoked, never will. I actually avoid being around people who do smoke.

Comment

Working...
                            X