This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance Hogs

There's a second-hand children's clothing store in my town that's moving. Their business is doing so well (and with good reason, in my opinion, with the possible exception of one employee who looks perpetually angry) that they're moving to a larger space in another strip mall just up the street. Good for them, I say.

And good for me, too. They've had a few sales recently to try to clear out some stuff and make their move easier. Yesterday was the "big" help-us-move sale. Every clearance item was marked with a colored tag. Customers would be able to pick up bags from the employees, fill the bag with clearance items, and pay just $10 for each bag. It was a great deal, and Mrs. Shirts and I went to find some clothes for our son.

No luck. Of the clearance items, we found only one thing we liked. The other stuff was not in our budget for this month, and it was nothing we absolutely needed anyway. As we were preparing to leave, I discovered why we couldn't find anything we liked.

Four or five mothers were shopping together. They each grabbed armloads of clearance clothes and went to set up camp in the far corner of the store. They then sorted the clothes, bagging the ones they wanted and tossing the others into a pile under a rack of other clothes. Once one armload was depleted, one or two of them would go back for more. And, no, of course they didn't put back the stuff they didn't want; they left it in the pile.

I was disgusted. They turned a good opportunity to get some inexpensive baby clothes into a feeding frenzy. And, since the store was just packed with people, none of the employees could do anything about it.

I'll wait until after the move to go back there. The weekly sales and relatively low prices are good enough without having to put up with that madness.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

we have a wonderful second hand store here. Every Wed is half off day. I dont even try to go anymore. I went once and was nearly killed just walking in.

Comment

Thats sad. People like that ruin it for everyone.

Im sure they were busy, but maybe next time let an employee know..?

Comment

I got news for ya: That happens everyplace there's clearance.

No wonder why the clearance swamp is so trashed on a day-in day-out basis.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You should stop by the Savers around here on 99 cent Mondays.

They should just call it Murder Mondays. My little brother, by no means a small guy, has nearly been stampeded by bag and cat ladies and other freaks of the like, desperate for those 99 cent deals, and he is just a typical poor college kid just trying to get some cheap clothes.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That's terrible. Unfortunately, every thrift store I frequent has customers like that.

Comment

Okay, I admit that I am a sucker for good sales, but I just don't care to bother when pigs like that are around in large numbers. I don't even want to be associated with that mad sheepleness.
              Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

This is one reason why I gave up on thrift stores. I still donate to thrift stores, but I don't buy clothes at them anymore. For the hassle it's worth it to just wait for the sales at kmart and wear the clothes until they fall apart (which, also, I figure I'm getting pretty close to even when I time the sales properly because the clothes do last longer).
                The store I do love those is "Our Store" in downtown, they are the only store in the entire state that supports AIDS research and treatment (there is still a social stigma in Utah). They do have some decent quality stuff and the staff is always helpful. The other one I like is Crossroads because they have a policy that any person who comes from the homeless shelter can get clothes for free (of course with limitations) and I like that my donation will go towards someone in need here and now, not into some fund for someone who may or may not eventually need help in God knows where (yes, I'm looking at you Deseret Industries, as much as I like your disaster relief efforts, I don't want to be building up a fund for what might happen when there is stuff that is happening now).
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

We used to have a wonderful mid-priced department store here that recently went out of business. Back in the 80s, they would have these amazing clearance sales once a year, and this stuff wasn't junk. I found a nice shirt for $1.98, and some overalls for $6. Some of these shoppers were rabid animals though! These were people who would never shop in that store at any other time. They did the same thing! I had never seen such behavior before (I was only a teenager, but still), and was disgusted when I saw that a woman had grabbed an armload of stuff and carried it off to another area of the store to rummage through it! Someone else actually grabbed something right out of my mom's hand! Barbarians!
                  Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

I really didn't mean to stereotype in my last post.

See, I don't think people who shop at secondhand or clearance stores are freaks. I think freaks are the people like the in OP's story, which is how the Savers people are. Granted, it doesn't help that most of them drive funny vehicles or look extremely funny and smell extremely funny.

Most people around here just shop at Goodwill or Salvation Army or the Gospel Hope Bargain Center for clothes because the Savers people are so freaking crazy. But 99 cents sure is tempting.

Fortunately, we also have designer secondhand stores around here as well, which are really nice because you don't see the group of freaks you'd see at Savers.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That reminds me of the time a nearby video store (in our supermarket over a decade ago) had a box with rolled up movie posters in it. The posters were of recent new releases and they wanted to get rid of the old posters,so they put them in a box for customers to look through and take whichever poster they wanted.
                      One day,some dumbass waltzed in...didn't even look through them,scooped up the entire batch in one armful,and waltzed his way back out the door.

Comment

People are like that at our second hand stores here. Often, one coloured tag will be half off on a certain day. People will take one or two carts, and go down the racks and take everything that has that colored tag! I don't know if they resell it or sort it out later or what, but it pisses me off when I'm trying to just buy a couple things for myself that are on sale and can't.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                        X