Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, this is weirding me out horribly.

The city I'm living in now, I've lived in for 15 years. I have endured middle school, high school, and college here. And, very soon, I will be moving. My dad has sought employment at a better-paying job on the other side of the mountain, has gotten said job (yay!) and starts work next month. My mom and I will be joining him in our new home some unknown time later depending on how quickly she can find a job as well (she's already sent out her resume, so hopefully we'll be hearing something soon).

I'm not going to lie, the idea of moving makes me feel...weird. Like I said, we've lived here 15 years. That's a little over half of my life, and 10 of those years have been spent in this house I'm living in now.

The very idea of moving makes me feel...weird. I'm sad to leave. Even though most of my friends and a few of my relatives live around Denver already, it's going to be very hard to leave the ones who are still here. On the other hand, though, it's exciting. I'll be close enough to Denver that I can, on a weekday, drive over there for concerts and stuff and be able to make it home in time for dinner. I'll get to see my aunt, uncle, and cousins more often. Also, my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are planning on moving to Colorado sometime within the next few years. And, until then, flights out of Denver are way cheaper (and faster) than flights out of here.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Seems like you're going into it w/ the right attitude - got your plusses and minuses lined up so you have something to look forward to and face down, respectively. And one of the ones in the minus column, the friends you leave behind, might not be so bad; when you live in/near a big city, people tend to visit more often.

Have fun!

Comment

I can certainly relate. 26 years in the same house. We moved in when I was 11 months old, except for the four years in college. Next year, it will finally be ONLY half my life. I got married and moved three miles away. Two years later, I got a job transfer and moved half way across the country.

Me and New Jersey did not get along too well. I joke that the only good thing in NJ is the south bound lanes of the Delaware Memorial bridge. That is far from the truth. There were a lot of things I liked about NJ.

22 years later, I am able to look back on it and see what a great opportunity it was for me. A new start. A chance to meet new people. When the opportunity came up to move to Georgia, I was looking forward to it. And yes, a little sad, as there are a few things in NJ that I miss.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I can understand this. I lived in the same house for 47 years before I bought a house and moved there with my mom and sister. In between buying and moving, there was a time when I honestly didn't think I could move. I just couldn't imagine ever living somewhere else. I still dream about it all the time. And we only moved across town. Moving to a different city entirely would feel really weird to me.

But it sounds like the move will be a good one for you. Friends, family, etc. not too far away. That's cool.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It is always so much weirder when you move with your parents from a place you lived in for a long time then when you just move yourself. I live on my own currently, but I can always go "home" if I want to for a visit. Your "home" is moving. But I'm happy to see you have a positive attitude about it all. ^_^
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Moving is something else I agree. It seems for some, they can put down roots anywhere and feel at home; others leave a bit of themselves behind in the place they were raised. I know I always have my birthstate in my heart. At least with social media and access to online local news, you can still feel connected to your old home. And you'll have your parents to help with the new experience; I think that's easier than moving by yourself.

A moving tip. Pack stuff in big plastic totes. Number the totes, and keep a list of what is where. Example: Tote #17, Jenny: shoes, jewelery box, snow globes.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                A moving tip. Pack stuff in big plastic totes. Number the totes, and keep a list of what is where. Example: Tote #17, Jenny: shoes, jewelery box, snow globes.
                My mom, just the other day, bought a 10-pack of those plastic jars with the pop lids on them to keep mice from getting at stuff in our pantry (as always happens this time of year). I actually did comment to her how they'd make packing everything *in* the pantry much easier when we do move.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

This week is the very basic packing-of-non-essentials. My parents want as much done that my dad can load up in a U-Haul to drive over next week. @_@ The bookshelf in the computer/laundry room looks naked. The nice thing, though, is that I'm somehow only reading one book right now instead of five. And when that one ends, I have my Kindle.
                  Last edited by firecat88; 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Mice can chew through plastic if they want to [and there is a patch of wall in my mom's house that a mouse chewed through the gypsum board there. Persistant little buggers.]

Other than 8 years when I lived with my parents and brother in the house my mother and brother currently live in, I moved 7 times before I was 20. I have moved 7 times in the 33 years since I was 20.

I recommend bankers boxes as the ideal moving box. They are a unified size, have handles, respond well to duct taping shut and you can write on them. They rarely can be crammed with more stuff that is easy to pick up and carry, and they fit beautifully on hand trucks. Add enough of the hanging wardrobe cases for hanging clothing, wrap your pillows and mattresses in those nice weather resistant stain and grunge resistant tyvek wraps for the move keeps them from getting yucky in the truck. We kept the plastic zipper cases that our comforters and bedding came in and it is easy to fold everything and repackage it in a larger size moving box - the ones that are about the size of a foot locker.

I think in a pinch we could pack everything we would be moving with us in under a week - and that would also include packing up 2 liquid cooled desktop gaming computers, all the peripherals including my 2 monitors, mrAru's 2 monitors, our 2 laptops, my tablet and all the wires, cords, external hard drives, back up power system and all. Hopefully we would find space for the cats!
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

If you have any furnishings which are going with you which need to be mended; fix them. A squirt of glue and a couple of nails now will prevent the stresses of being moved from converting a 'might break someday' to 'broken'.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm kind of the reverse here. I moved 12 times before the age of 14. >.>

.....I just realized my childhood was pretty messed up that way.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          If you have any furnishings which are going with you which need to be mended; fix them. A squirt of glue and a couple of nails now will prevent the stresses of being moved from converting a 'might break someday' to 'broken'.
                          Luckily, most of our furniture is pretty sturdy. There's one desk (my dad's) that's pretty much just several pieces of particle board screwed-and-glued together that might need to just not come with us, though. Dad's afraid that it'll fall apart on the drive across the mountains.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                            Luckily, most of our furniture is pretty sturdy. There's one desk (my dad's) that's pretty much just several pieces of particle board screwed-and-glued together that might need to just not come with us, though. Dad's afraid that it'll fall apart on the drive across the mountains.
                            That is one problem with particleboard We have a Stickley chair that was my great grandfathers, other than a few use marks on edges here and there, it looks practically new. I wish it didn't have leather uphoulstery, but I didn't buy it and have to take it as it came to me
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                              I'm kind of the reverse here. I moved 12 times before the age of 14. >.>

.....I just realized my childhood was pretty messed up that way.
                              Oh, you too?

Army brat here. On the one hand, moving gives you a very different mind set when it comes to people and places. It also introduces you to all kinds of new things.

On the other, it makes it hard to relate to those who've never moved sometimes...
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X