This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Google 'assistive technology' and 'assistive clothing'.
    (snip)
    Seshat, thank you for the heads-up on that. I don't anticipate enough of a need for any of that myself, as I'm sure this is only short-term. For the most part, it's just a matter of learning a different way to do things. For example, I've already regained enough use of my hand to type, albeit somewhat slowly, and my need to drive is very limited at the moment.

However, it's good to know because a friend of mine, who has a more long-term disability, can probably use some of the devices and clothing you describe.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

There are things you can put on your steering wheel - screwed on, temporary items - which can make it easier to drive one-handed. Or which can help you use your bad hand by pushing with your wrist.
      Suicide knobs.

What can I say, I broke my left wrist and screwed my rotator cuff at one point in time. Made driving a bit easier as I could rest my hand on the knob instead of turning my wrist to grasp the wheel.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

And of some small but hopefully encouraging consolation to you ADe, I WILL learn from your hardship and be extra careful the next couple of days, so this doesn't happen to me.

Did you eventually figure out why just one hand? And were there any warning signs besides "Crikey! My hands are cold!"

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
          ...snip...
          Wow...

Your OP reminds me of the Ice Bowl and the Freezer Bowl, and what those players must have gone through.

And a quote from WikiPedia regarding the Freezer Bowl...

Before the Chargers took the field, Running back/Special teamer Hank Bauer tested the field conditions. Bauer recalled: "when I came out of that tunnel... man, it (the wind) just hit you-like somebody threw 100 knives at you." When he returned to the locker room, he told his teammates: "Whatever you got on, take it off. Number one-you won't be able to move (with all the layers) and number two-it ain't gonna help."

The Bengals offensive line played the entire game with bare arms. A number of them played with bare hands as well."
          Ambient air temperature for that game ("Freezer Bowl") was -9ºF, with a wind chill (using the modern formula) of -37ºF

Ambient air temperature for the "Ice Bowl" was -15ºF at game time, with a Wind Chill (modern formula) of -36ºF.

Imagine being out in either of those conditions for the three hours it takes to play a football game. Staying active and layers can only keep you so warm...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

AccountingDrone, thank you.

Of important note to people who are looking for them: check at a disabilities/assistive technologies store, not a car store. There are many different shapes, useful for different disabilities. A car store might have only the doorknob shape.

However, it's good to know because a friend of mine, who has a more long-term disability, can probably use some of the devices and clothing you describe.
            Then when you're feeling better, take him/her shopping. Start just by looking around at some of the shops; and be aware that they won't have everything possible on display. When (not if) he/she finds something that's close to what is needed but not quite right, tell a staffer. They'll haul out the catalogues.

At least around here, if they get something in from a catalogue and it's not right; then as long as it's still in sellable condition, they'll just put that item in stock and try again. No-risk catalogue shopping.

Also; these are deemed to be medical supplies, and thus come under government programs. When a government program is not available, charities often have programs for low-income earners and pensioners. The disabilities shops are aware of the programs, and will often help put you in touch with someone who can help you afford their more expensive equipment.

They also know that 'expensive' can be relative and can depend on your income.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              And of some small but hopefully encouraging consolation to you ADe, I WILL learn from your hardship and be extra careful the next couple of days, so this doesn't happen to me.

Did you eventually figure out why just one hand? And were there any warning signs besides "Crikey! My hands are cold!"
              that's the weird thing - my hands do get cold, so all i felt was the usual stiffness / numbness. usually this goes away after a couple of hours. it prevailed until afternoon, when i happened to look down at my hands and realized the problem wasn't just stiffness / numbness.

as for why only the left - no clue. the doctors of course wanted to run all sorts of tests but without insurance i told them no. i'm already hurting for a huge bill as it is. the cause isnt so much a concern as knowing not to expose it to extreme cold again.

and, yeah, i'm back to typing one-handed. no off-color jokes please, i've heard them all!

Comment

Scared myself all to hell last night. I stopped at a store on the way home from work - we needed cat food and a couple days' worth of dinner items. From inside the bus, you literally could see nothing but snow and the traffic lights/street lights kinda peeking through. I waited about 30 minutes for the return bus (in a bus shelter). Thank god I have a down coat and the temp was still in double digits. I am NEVER doing that again.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

take heart, everyone. for those of us in the northern hemisphere, the days are getting longer again. it'll be a little while before we begin to feel it, but it is happening!

Comment

.... and I hope we don't have the same level of unusual cold, come our winter.

(Southern Hemisphere here)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      .... and I hope we don't have the same level of unusual cold, come our winter.

(Southern Hemisphere here)
                      I'll second that. I wouldn't wish this bitter cold on anyone. I realize, of course, that some folks live with even more brutal temperatures, but damned if I can figure out how.

Comment

I realize, of course, that some folks live with even more brutal temperatures, but damned if I can figure out how.
                        We never stop whining about it

After 7 straight weeks it is supposed to be above freezing tomorrow! 3c is one-sweater-one-pants weather and I plan to enjoy every moment of it. It actually hasn't been below -20c for almost a week so it's not like it's brutally cold every minute of every day. The lowest it has been so far this year (in actual temperatures, not with the wind chill) has been -39c. Even for around here it hasn't been a pretty winter so far.

And yes there are people north of me too, and I don't think I could hack it there.
                        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

The paper today said that Australia is having a horrible heat wave. Kinda the oppposite of what we've been dealing with up here all week.

And tomorrow the temp here is supposed to be 50F.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X