Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Are These People and What Have They Done with My Family?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Are These People and What Have They Done with My Family?

So I wound up spending the weekend with my family, since I no longer have a significant other to spend it with. I didn't really want to, I just didn't feel like celebrating this year after having my heart ripped out yet again. But they talked me into it.

Last night, I was helping my mother in the kitchen. We fixed dinner, we set the table, and we cleared the table and did dishes after. While we were working on dinner, she told me about how her stylist, who used to cut my hair, remarked that her hair was exactly like mine with how thick and curly it is. And she added, "at least, how your hair used to be." After how she criticized my hair last time I saw her, I rolled my eyes and prepared to walk out of the kitchen and she said no, she didn't mean it like that. She thought my hair looks nice now, she just misses my curls. Unsure of her intentions, I said, "Well, I like it this way, it's cute." She agreed.

After dinner, my father was getting ready to take my grandma back to her apartment and we were all sitting around in the living room. Before she left, my grandmother brushed my bangs aside with her hand and when I looked up at her she had this reassuring and loving look on her face. My grandmother who everyone assumes has such bad vision that she hasn't been able to see what's going on with me. I don't really know what that look was about, but it was comforting.

My father spent most of the evening sharing stories with my sister's future husband. Because he's an army guy and my dad is an army guy, so they have a lot in common. But later my dad started talking to me a bit. He was telling me about work, and mentioned this guy he works with who is very chatty and says "omigawd" a lot when he's talking on the phone. And he told me, "I'm not trying to offend you, because, you know.... but when he's on the phone, he acts like a girl." Had it not been for my laptop in my lap, I'd have sprang out of the recliner I was sitting in and hugged him. Maybe I should have anyway.

So here was my weekend: My mother is actually holding back on her criticisms, my grandmother may be more aware of things than anyone gives her credit, and my daddy gets me. He has NEVER acknowledged anything about me being the way I am. Not until last night.

Today, my parents wanted me to go shopping with them. We ran around in Topeka most of the day. We had a great time. Somehow we started talking about the Westboro asshats, and I said they really hate people like me. And my father went on about how they are idiots. My mother didn't object to me using the ladies room at Barnes & Noble, which I was sure she would.

There is only one reasonable explanation I can think of. The Pod People have come. Trust no one.
    Last edited by Kara; 12-24-2012, 01:04 AM.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Kara, as out-of-left-field as this seems, take it for what it is, and enjoy it.

It's a Festivus miracle, and it's fantastic to hear.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That is very good news.

Comment

*Twilight Zone theme*

Comment

This post gave me a happy just before bed.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's an early Christmas gift! With ribbons and bows and sparklies and everything!!

Seriously, I'm glad things are going well on the family front. Hope it continues on into the new year!

Comment

From your previous posts it sounded to me like your family doesn't hate you but just wasn't understanding why you were undergoing the change and it was bothering them. It could be that they finally got the time they needed to get over their misconceptions and learn to accept you for who you are.

Either that or someone smacked them hard with a frozen salmon.

Under any event, it's a good thing.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Reading this made me cry, especially the part about your grandma. Sounds like she was just trying to say she loves you. A very wise lady once said that to touch someone can be a way of blessing them, and I think that's what your grandma did. I'm very happy for you.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Kara, that post just gave me warm fuzzies. No matter what transpired to bring your family around, be grateful yours did start coming around in their way of thinking.

Some families NEVER accept a member who turns out to be different from what they believe - no matter how much time has passed.

Count your blessings . . . and many hugs from us.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Wonderful news! May the new family attitude last forever!
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Go Kara! Go Kara's family! Yay!

I agree with a few others. That gave me the warm fuzzies too. I hope they continue to accept you as you. I'm really happy for you.

Go Kara!
                      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I'm so happy for you, Kara! This is great news. It's always important to have support from those close to you.
                        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                        X