This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He of the Black Thumb Needs Help...

My mother has one of the most amazing green thumbs ever, and back when she used to garden, whether it was flowers or vegetables, her ability with plants was staggering.

Mine...is not.

I have often said that I only consider plants as ingredients or garnish, and that is basically true. So naturally, the idea of my having a house plant would be utterly idiotic.

The other day I bought a house plant. Hey, I have said many times that I am an idiot, no?

Specifically, I bought a Christmas cactus, which I have surrounded with some lights (picture will be posted later today when I have a bit more time and not about to run off to work) to celebrate the holiday season in a Southwestern way here in the tropics.

The lady at Home Depot told me I only need to water the cactus once a week or so, so I am going to try to get into the habit of doing so on the same day.

Questions:

How much water should I use?
    Am I an idiot for keeping the cactus inside on my book case?
    Should I move the cactus out to my balcony during the day for some sunlight?
    What else should someone like me, who generally is Death From Above for all plant life, know regarding the care for this particular succulent?

With plants I am definitely an idiot, so please, feel free to help me prove my roommate wrong, as he is convinced that the cactus will make it through the month, and that is about it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Here's a good article on how to care for a Christmas Cactus. From what I can tell, it's going to need a moderate amount of sunlight. If you have a room that has large windows and gets a lot of natural light, that would be ideal. It's not really a true cactus, so don't let the soil get too dry. Obviously, you don't want to over water it either as that will cause it to rot. Once a week for an indoor plant sounds about right, but if the soil feels dry, water it. If you put the plant outside a lot, you may need to water it more often. But be careful because too much sun will burn the leaves.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

We get plenty of natural light in the living room, where the cactus is, but there is no direct sunlight on the plant. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, I should point out that I live in the Florida Keys, so our climate is semi-tropical, if that knowledge helps any.

Still A Customer."

Comment

My Christmas cactus did well in indirect light. I probably watered it even less than once a week, too. Those things are pretty hardy, thankfully. I probably should be tried, convicted, and locked away for my crimes against plants. I am the anti-green thumb. It was a good plant for me.

It died when I was stranded at work due to a snowstorm. I'd left it outside and it got buried under a foot and a half of snow. That finally killed it. You clearly shouldn't have that problem, though.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          It died when I was stranded at work due to a snowstorm. I'd left it outside and it got buried under a foot and a half of snow. That finally killed it. You clearly shouldn't have that problem, though.
          Um, no. Snowstorms are not a problem here. Hurricanes, sure. Snowstorms, not so much.

Still A Customer."

Comment

My aunt keeps hers in next to the living room window, which has a fine lace curtain, so the plant gets filtered light. It's watered about once a week. This plant has been going for years and blooms like crazy.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

honestly i don't remember how much to water them

but i DO remember that you can alter whether they bloom or not. if you keep them in natural light only they will bloom, but if you put them under artificial light they won't. but iirc they get "fuller" when they don't bloom.

so many people give them natural light one year and then artificial light the next

Comment

Actually, the bookcase is a good place for the plant - if it gets cool there. They like filtered sun - not direct sun so I don't know if I would recommend placing it outside in your area (they sunburn easily). They like to get cool before they bloom so if you can figure out a good cool place with window sun it will be happy there. They are picky about getting moved so once it blooms it is telling you that it likes it there - if you move it when it starts to bloom it will pout and drop its blooms (learned that one the hard way).
                On watering - they don't like to "have their feet wet" - I water those types of plants lightly on Wed and Sun. Depending on the size of the plant probably a 4oz pour or so (to put it in bartending terms).

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  her ability with plants was staggering.

Mine...is not.
                  Sure it is! It's just not staggering in the same way.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The good thing about cacti is that they're pretty hard to kill. Not impossible, however, as my mother proved when she managed to kill the one I'd had for several years in the 2 weeks I was gone to France on a school trip in High School.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                    X