Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to not go crazy with a roommate like this? -.- (Longggggg. Seriously. Rantttt)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to not go crazy with a roommate like this? -.- (Longggggg. Seriously. Rantttt)

I live with my Japanese roommate who is the best friend I ever had, and another guy who I once called a friend, but now I want to punch him every time I see his face.

In June, my best friend's other roommate left. In mid July, I started getting real sick and in order to avoid my mother, who I had issues with, I moved in with my friend. I couldn't help with rent. (My mother is our apartment manager, lulz) But he was okay and just took care of me since my boyfriend couldn't and stayed by me.

In August, the other guy, who I'll call A, begged my friend, T, to move in, since he was 18 and his parents were kicking him out. (Me and T are 21/22, respectively)

Against my warnings, since I knew A was already pretty obnoxious, T, being the good guy he is, begged my mother and me to consider letting him move in, and mom had to relent since there was nothing holding him back from being able to. He pays rent, but not utilities or internet. (internet is in my name)
    ----

We had problems from the beginning;
    A talks to himself. He has HUGE arguments with people in his head from "stress". Aloud. While slamming things.
    He stays up late talking VERY loudly on skype or playing guitar. (since I started working I got harder on him NOT to do that.)

He is loud when we go out in public. And very rude and disrespectful with his jokes about rape and drug use sometimes. (Both which affected me personally)

Me, T, and others have had countless talks with him about his attitude, and since I'm moving when I come back from Japan, while T will be staying for a semester, we told him straight up he is NOT coming with us. I can't stand to room with him. He keeps messing up the shower door, leaves his tissue all over the bathroom floor (i don't want to think about why there is so much)
    He takes our food constantly without asking, sometimes in the middle of when we're eating it! (He does this more to T, cause according to A, I'm the intimidating bitch)

Most of me and T's mutual friends stopped wanting him to hang out with us, and he blew up at ME for "condoning the fact that no one wants to give him any chances"
    When in reality, they DO, but they got tired of the SAME FUCKING BEHAVIOUR.
    ---

Finally, the other night, me and my friends wanted to go out to eat. Against me telling T not to earlier, to keep the peace, he allowed A to come.

Big. Fucking. Mistake. And I'm still fucking fuming.

We went to a Korean restaurant. I know the owner and his family VERY well, and am a constant customer with T, so they know our life stories.

The owner is an elder Korean man, who can be a bit strict, and sometimes rubs people wrong way himself, but it takes a while to see the latter side. However, I still enjoy talking to him and his wife, mother, and sister make very good Korean food, even if its a bit pricey.

We took A, and another friend L, who tolerates A, but isn't too fond of him either.

Throughout the whole dinner, I was getting more agitated. At first he was totally acting very crazy and talking about what *he* thought about every subject that came up, and when I told him to calm down, he would try to mouth dirty words to T in Japanese and wait until I wasn't looking. (i found this rude, cause he is doing this to be disrespectful)

Finally, the owner came. And what the owner is known for is reading fortunes, based off of Korean confuscius-based principles and the Asian zodiac.
    He has read mine, T, and L's before, but not A's.

He was pretty dead on with A. He said A strives to be at the top and to be the best, but never considers how to get there. He says on the outside, he may look nice, but actuality, he is rude, selfish, and inconsiderate, and if that doesn't change, his life will have a lot of regrets. He mentioned that A was the type to have something go in one ear and out the other while saying he gets it.

A had this disgusting smug look like "uh-huh, this is bullshit", and when we couldn't help but laugh, cause seriously, ALL OF THIS STUFF WAS TRUE, he got annoyed and asked the owner to read mine, just so I could be "roasted" too.

However, he was disappointed, because the owner said that while my bad points were very huge, they were all mental based, and rarely affected my personal relationships. (I get emotionally burdened easily, stressed, and distracted.)
    He also mentioned that it was good I was a polyglot...(someone who speaks many languages

The owner mentioned that due to my abilities, I could be considered a genius. You could hear the tires screeching in A's mind. A is the type who while brilliant, wasn't called a genius by this man, and that messed him up. As the owner said I was the type to remember and comprehend what I read quickly, A interrupted him and said, "But she doesn't even read!!" I rolled my eyes and mentioned that, yes, I did.
    A then mentioned a very popular historical fiction book that was turned into a movie over the summer, and said "that's not a real book."

I had enough. I said bluntly, "Dude, you don't even know how I was as a child. I was recorded on reading 90 books in a school year in elementary school alone, read my brothers college textbooks at age 8, and was the kid who was the only one to ever get in trouble for reading too much according to five teachers I had."

He got indignant and said how *he* was the genius cause he read an encylopedia at age 10 and such such such.
    It wasn't a worthy battle, but damn, I hate it when people accuse me of being a poor reader. You wanna be called a genius, fine, but don't attack my reading habits just because you never see me enough to know and your ego was bruised. I take reading seriously, even if I don't do it as often as I used to.

The owner looked at me and said in Korean, "He is acting the way I said he was..."

Then later, L and A were talking about how their parents disciplined them. L mentioned mere spankings, as did I.
    A was bragging about all the sorts of things his father beat him with, then asked T how T was beat in discipline. When T mentioned that his parents never used physical-based ways, A scoffed at him for "not really living" or "knowing what its like to have REAL discipline" and "how he missed out"

At last, the owner came to give us the check. Out of nowhere, A asked the owner how badly he was beat and what tools his father used.
    You don't ask an elder....or ANYONE that without even knowing them, and even then it could be rude! And of course, he thought it was totally fine. /eyeroll

And all of his discipline did him no good, he's an asshole!
    ----

So we agreed never to take him anywhere again.
    We already have a battle with him leaving every light on all night after we turn it off, so I'm prepared for a huge blowout when I leave. He doesn't pay utilities, but we're going to make him if its over 100 again...

OK, first, if he's having arguments with people in his head, he needs to be evaluated for mental illness. I'm not judging his character with this observation, just seems to me it might be a good idea. I'd be a little concerned with what he might do if he thinks he's lost one of these arguments.

Second, I'm glad you're not going to be around him that much longer, because he's a rude, selfish, arrogant asshole.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      OK, first, if he's having arguments with people in his head, he needs to be evaluated for mental illness. I'm not judging his character with this observation, just seems to me it might be a good idea. I'd be a little concerned with what he might do if he thinks he's lost one of these arguments.

Second, I'm glad you're not going to be around him that much longer, because he's a rude, selfish, arrogant asshole.
      combined with his "habit" of thinking himself right at all times, i suspect you hit the nail on the head.

it may be something you can't "fix" in him, but something actually medical.

that's not saying you have to put up with it though. even if it is mentally based doesn't mean there cannot be consequences for his actions or for what he says.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Well, he never loses cause he doesn't hear back, apparently. I dunno how it works, but its annoying when he is mad at me and I wake up at seven cause I hear him 'telling me" his woes he has with him and acting like I am still replying.

He told me he thinks he is autistic, and was going to get tested for it.
        I, having autistic cousins and friends with asperger's, told him he doesn't fit the profile at all. He is too social, he can still look at you in the eye, and can usually read social cues. (he calls me a bitch over the ones I give.)

He is socially awkward, but I suggested it may be other things to him. I did think it was schizophrenia too...

He is totally outraged we're not taking him with us, btw. He also wanted to go to Japan and at first made plans to join without even asking until I told him he he wouldn't be welcome in their public society with his behaviour. Shitty of me, but pretty true. He's too outwardly outrageous and inconsiderate.

He has this habit of inviting himself without asking, then bitching if he gets left behind.

/headdesk.

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
          And very rude and disrespectful with his jokes about rape and drug use sometimes. (Both which affected me personally)
          He JOKES about rape?!!!??! There is nothing even remotly funny about rape. There is no way one could possible twist rape into a joke that is even remotely funny, and I don't know what sort of sick, twisted individual would think otherwise.

He reminds me of this guy I went to school with who made jokes like that; sick, twisted, tasteless jokes. He thought he was the funniest guy alive and would become angry quickly when no one laughed at his "funny" jokes. In swim class, he blurted, "how do you get a black guy out of a tree? You cut the rope"!! My school was mostly "white" and had a grand total of 5 black students. Ironically, all 5 were in that class. Needless to say, he got his ass beat after school(not by the black kids, but by their white friends).
          Answers: $1
          Correct Answers: $2
          Answers that require thought: $5
          Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

The only good thing about him lately is his music.
            However, I used to respect how a a kid at 16 could discuss Philosophy so deeply, but now his ego is overcoming him.

My bf is Korean, and he thinks it impresses my boyfriend to talk about such deep "korean history" when he actually doesn't know THAT much about it

Then he goes around and mimics my bf's accent. (The way he says the word, "conservative", for example)
            And laughs at him for having such an accent.

Ugh.
            My BF isn't a friendly guy, its not easy to impress him, and laughing like a buffoon when he says a word with a heavy accent won't win him over.

Comment

If it was me, I'd kick him out. If he's not paying for utilities, then he's not doing his share of the work that was agreed on when he moved in. I'd sit down with him and lay down the law. You guys are the older ones here and he needs to show you that respect.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

If he is on the lease, we can't kick him out. He has to agree to leave....one reason why i have to cause he refuses to

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                  Well, he never loses cause he doesn't hear back, apparently. I dunno how it works, but its annoying when he is mad at me and I wake up at seven cause I hear him 'telling me" his woes he has with him and acting like I am still replying.

Definitely not autism. Sounds like disassociative disorder, but IANAPsychiatrist. It's definitely in the range of psychosis, and he could potentially be dangerous.

Comment

Reminds me of this kid I know (I think he's about 20). Annoying as fuck. I didn't like him right off the bat, just something about him. Twitchy, thinks he knows everything about everything when that's not the case. Also he cheats at games (Dark Heresy, Warmachine).
                    eta: He acts like he has issues, and he may really have them, but I think some of it is for the attention.

Comment

lately he's been putting self-victimizing posts on facebook..

"Why is it me, why am I always the one to be chastised?"

-_-;

So many of our mutual friends tell him when he crossed the line, he keeps crossing them and bitches about not getting second/third/etc. chances just cause he apologized. It TAKES MORE THAN AN APOLOGY

Comment

Well, I guess I had enough.
                        T is signing 30 day notice and dating it December 1st instead of January like our original plan. I would be back alone and with A for two weeks before new place after returning, but I can't handle that right now.

He knows what he does is wrong, but doesn't think about how to fix it. Its just us being meanies for not giving him more chances.

Even T, nice and sweet as he is, told me he also had enough.

So we're telling A he has to find roommate sooner.

The stuff T is leaving behind is going to stay at my dad's until I go to new place, and mom doesn't mind me staying with her

I do think A is on the forum and reading this too, but its meh now.
                        If I'm a heartless c***, so be it. I just don't have high B.S tolerance.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          OK, first, if he's having arguments with people in his head, he needs to be evaluated for mental illness.
                          I was thinking the same thing. Seriously: arguing with himself is a hallmark of auditory hallucinations.

Quoth Kaycichu View Post

He is socially awkward, but I suggested it may be other things to him. I did think it was schizophrenia too...
                          He doesn't have autism. Autistics dislike any kind of stimulation or anything that intrudes in their world. He doesn't have Aspergers either. I'm an Aspie, and he is not one. Aspies don't understand social cues, but are capable of getting it if it is explained to them. He does; he just doesn't care, and he seems to delight in provoking people.

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                          He is totally outraged we're not taking him with us, btw. He also wanted to go to Japan and at first made plans to join without even asking until I told him he he wouldn't be welcome in their public society with his behaviour. Shitty of me, but pretty true. He's too outwardly outrageous and inconsiderate.
                          Smart of you. I always feel nervous around Asians because of my Asperger's; it's bad enough that I miss American social cues, I totally don't get the Asian ones. But my issue is that I don't understand the cues, not that I'm bound and determined to have my way or the highway.

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                          lately he's been putting self-victimizing posts on facebook..

"Why is it me, why am I always the one to be chastised?"

-_-;

So many of our mutual friends tell him when he crossed the line, he keeps crossing them and bitches about not getting second/third/etc. chances just cause he apologized. It TAKES MORE THAN AN APOLOGY
                          The problem is he really isn't sorry. That's the core issue.

I'm not a doctor and can't diagnose. But your descriptions certainly are suggestive of auditory hallucinations, which could be schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder. It's a major problem, but treatable.

The other behaviors are suggestive of borderline personality disorder. The statement about how HE is the "victim" are hallmark BPD behaviors.

But I'm just guessing based on a limited description of his behaviors.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing. Seriously: arguing with himself is a hallmark of auditory hallucinations.

(SNIP)
                            I told him I think its schizophrenia for those reasons above.
                            He only wants to get tested for autism. Anything else just DOESN'T make sense to him it seems.
                            Last edited by MadMike; 12-02-2012, 01:14 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his frontal lobe's been damaged; the frontal lobe is the part of the brain that deals with controlling impulses and temper, and judgement.

Also, be careful with such individuals; they may not be in control, but that doesn't make what they do any less potentially dangerous.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X