This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I MADE MARSHMALLOWS!

I made marshmallows home made. From scratch. Squee!
    Attached Files
    The report button - not just for decoration

Ooo yum. I've been thinking about doing the same for my aunt's Christmas party. Was it easy?
    "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Shockingly, yes!

1/2 cup cold water
      1/2 cup boiling water
      2 tbsp powder gelatin (or 8 gelatin leaves)
      2 cups + 1 tbsp caster sugar
      Rosewater / vanilla extract
      whatever food colouring your little heart desires.

In the metal bowl of a food mixer, soak the gelatine in the cold water for about 5 minutes. Then, put the metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water until the gelatine is melted (double boiler type thing). Then add the boiling water and caster sugar, and use the electric mixer with the whisk attachment - mix on high for 6 - 8 mins until thick and glossy. Then add 1 tsp of the flavouring you chose and stir it in.
      Pour into a greased baking pan (mine was 30 cm by 28 cm by 4.5 cm) and refrigerate for about 2 hours.

Turn it out onto a silicone sheet (like a Silpat) and use your cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Toss in icing sugar, and shazam! Marshmallows!

Comment

So....it's like making jello?

With more sugar?

I am intrigued.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I suppose so. Do you normally whip jello? You realise you have to share now

Comment

Awesome!

So do "fresh" ones taste better than the bagged ones?

Comment

That's cool! I thought it would be more complicated. Gotta try that.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ever get the feeling you're in the wrong line of work?
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                  I suppose so. Do you normally whip jello? You realise you have to share now
                  Here in Utahr *everything* happens to jello. We toast the dry mix onto bread, like cinnamon toast. Mix in shreaded carrots, chopped celery, mini marshmellows, whipped cream... I would not be surprised to find mini sausages in a jello dish at the next funeral I go to...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If you can figure out how to make vegan marshmallows, let me know. Those things are expensive. Actually, now that I think about it, vegan gelatin does exist. Hmmmm.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      If you can figure out how to make vegan marshmallows, let me know. Those things are expensive. Actually, now that I think about it, vegan gelatin does exist. Hmmmm.
                      Yeah, if you can find vegan gelatine, then the world is your...um...organic pumpkin seed?

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                      Awesome!

So do "fresh" ones taste better than the bagged ones?
                      And yes, they do taste a bit better than the shop bought once - they're fluffier.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Here in Utahr *everything* happens to jello. We toast the dry mix onto bread, like cinnamon toast. Mix in shreaded carrots, chopped celery, mini marshmellows, whipped cream... I would not be surprised to find mini sausages in a jello dish at the next funeral I go to...

You can make a nice little dessert with half set jello and evaporated milk. Pop the can of milk into the freezer, and make your jello. When the jello is half set, take the can of milk out of the freezer and whip it (it'll make a nice foam cream type thing). Then while still whipping it, pour in the half set jello. It makes a light mousse

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Ever get the feeling you're in the wrong line of work?
                      Sometimes But I know if I were do it for work/money, I'd probably stop enjoying it.

Comment

Yesterday I got all the stuff i need to make a load of Fudge, I'm going to be sick as a dog for the next few weeks, methinks.
                        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I made some with my mom once. Thank goodness we stocked up on hot chocolate!
                          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I do weird stuff with food, like just now i made these fudgey, toffee biscuit ball things froma cheesecake base (i ate the cheese part, but not the base, cause i like eating them seperate butthen got annoyed with the base being so crumbly)

got all the leftover base, broke it up with a fork, added some toffee sauce and combined it until it was a big sticky mess, then began adding in icing sugar gradually, working it into the sticky mass until it ended up being smooth only ever so slightly tacky, then broke it up into pieces, rolled the pieces into balls and rolled them around in icing sugar, popped them on a plate and leftthem in the fridge so that the icing sugar on the outside absorbs some of the moisture.
                            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I'm working on perfecting a biscuit recipe that's thoroughly modular, able to add whatever at three stages of the recipe. This weekend I'm planning on testing adding white choccy and marshmallows, and a batch that uses raspberry syrup rather than golden syrup. Adding white drinking chocolate to chocolate chip biccies is yummeh ^^
                              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Working...
                              X