This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smissmas grinch?

You ever have a Christmas where you have no idea what to get anyone and no one is telling you what they want? That's my Smissmas right now and I'm frustrated as hell about it. Only 9 days of shopping left and no one - save for my husband - has told me what they wanted. I've asked. I've asked a good number of times. I've even posted a message on my facebook page asking people to tell me what they want.

No responses.

So you know what? No presents for you! I work 50 hours a week - not including travel time - and I usually work 6 days a week. I also have things I would like to do in my limited free time. I don't have time for this mystery guessing game bullshit. So you want to be cute and want me to "guess" what you want? Fine - I guess you want a big fat pile o' nothin'! That is what you will get.

I posted another facebook message making it clear that if people don't start telling me what they'd like I will not buy them anything. So I'd better not get any bitching on Smissmas morning (which I'm working, btw) when the only people that got presents from me are my husband - who freakin' told me what he wanted (thanks honey!) - and my two year old niece. I really want to buy gifts for everyone. I really do. This isn't some cop-out to get me out of responsibility or whatever. I'm just not going to waste my time trying to guess what everyone wants.

Does this make me a grinch? Am I "ruining" Christmas? Actually, who cares if I am? I'm just going to use the money I would've spent on people who refuse to communicate with me and buy a bunch of Christmas Angel gifts. Those kids deserve it more.

Good for you. I hate when people pull that crap. If you don't need anything, tell people you want money at least! Not difficult.

My husband always says, "I don't really want anything..." but after I badger him for a few weeks he ends up giving me a list that covers an entire sheet of printer paper.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Combine the two CC. Make donations in people's name to Angels.

Comment

Now that's an idea! Thanks!

Comment

No, you are not being a Grinch. I emailed bro and sis asking for Christmas lists (sis usually gets the ball rolling but I noticed this year she didn't). Bro responded -- sis didn't.

Actually, let me clarify that: sis did respond ... but only to bro. When he was down here last time to visit Mom, I mentioned that I had no idea what to get sis & family as she hadn't sent out a list. Bro was puzzled. Yes, she had. Well ... he'd gotten one, at any rate ...

Now, if she had half a dozen or more people to send the list to, I could see her maybe missing a name or two. But she had TWO people to send it to.

So, whether I'm accurate or not, all I can see here is a nice piece of passive-aggressiveness.

I hardly ever delete emails, so I have lists from the past couple of years, and will go on those. I also have a ton of gifts for niece in particular that I've bought over the past couple of years, and will be using them for her.

However, in my case it's only one person. If it were a large number, I'd do exactly as you are doing -- buy nothing and/or make a donation to a worthy charity in their names.
          Last edited by Pixilated; 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Makes me glad that my brother is dead easy to shop for - he always wants 2 100 packs of blank DVDs [specific brand +Rs] and a movie he names, and we always also toss in some random thing we find during the year that we think would amuse him. This year it is one of the shark indoor RC blimps. Mom always gets a really lovely floral arrangement with a note saying when we will be there for Christmas [she has alzheimers and this works to remind her of when we will be visiting.] We try to get stuff that will appeal to her - last year was one of those carousel picture frames with pictures, this year we are getting her a warm soft and fluffy microfiber throw as the current throw she has is old and sort of scroungy, and some replacement warm fuzzy slippers to replace an older pair.

We really believe in discussing what we are going to exchange for Christmas, makes life easier!
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My dad was horrible about giving gift idas. One year all he told me was some Head & Shoulders shampoo & a earphone for his police scanner. Guess what...that's what he got. Shampoo & a $1 earphone.

A few years later, he did the same thing with my sister, except she told him if he didn't give her any ideas, he'd be getting a piece of PVC pipe. It was great watching her try to wrap that length of pipe - Dad got a good laugh out of it, and he did find a use for the pipe.
              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                Combine the two CC. Make donations in people's name to Angels.
                I'll second this. Then no one can bitch that you did not give them a present.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I used to go crazy trying to figure out what to get everyone. A few years ago, my family made things a lot easier. We agreed to only get presents for the kids and our significant others. So all I have to worry about is my wife, my son, and my two nephews.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My peeve kind of goes the other way. People ask me what I'd like for Christmas. I tell them one or two or sometimes three specific items I'd like to have, carefully chosen to be within the price range of the asker. I think maybe twice in my life I've actually gotten any of the stuff I specifically named. Most of the time I wind up with stuff that not only do I not want, but often stuff that actually would make me very very sick should I attempt to actually use it. The kicker is that the stuff I get is usually pricier than what I told whoever it was I actually wanted. *sigh*

ETA: Oh, and what I wind up actually getting is fairly often non-returnable or exchangeable. Think expensive, heavily scented body wash/bubble bath gift pack type things. Ugh.
                    Last edited by Kittish; 12-16-2012, 10:35 PM.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Me and my mom have had words about this.

Basically she would bug over and over again for a christmas list from me.

Then she would get me absolutely nothing on the list. One year she got me a bunch of dollar store crap, saying with each gift she got it from the dollar store. She could have just bought me one book for the same price.

So finally I had an arguement with her.
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

It's been a family joke for a long time that "this year, everybody gets a bag of noodles."

Now I only have two people to buy for, and the funny thing is, they both love noodles, so that would totally work...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          It's been a family joke for a long time that "this year, everybody gets a bag of noodles."

Now I only have two people to buy for, and the funny thing is, they both love noodles, so that would totally work...
                          I have seen some seriously gourmet noodles out there over the years. Stuff like trufflel tagliatelli, custom shapes [harley davidson?! batman, pterodactyls] and spelt and specialty ravioli like dessert pumpkin pie, dinner lobster and prawn, three mushroom, specialty cheese ones.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thank you for posting those links; they sound fascinating! I was hoping to find the Harley Davidson pasta for a gift but it looks as though you have to special-order it, and there's a minimum order ... But hey. There are always alternatives.

There is, of course, the problem of which items can be shipped to locations outside the U.S. ... *sigh* I see some from penmac.com can't.
                            Last edited by Pixilated; 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

We tried making noodles once but they didn't come out that well. My mom used to make them and they were delicious. Have to try again once of these days, I guess.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X