Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can call the cops and let them know that we're having a party, or the driveway is being redone, etc., and they'll let it slide for a night. But if it's habitual, you get ticketed or towed.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
      Where is this? I live in NJ - the most densely populated state - and all they do to us is give like a $30 ticket.
      It's one of Pittsburgh's southern 'burbs.

Not being allowed to park on the street at night started in the 1950s. I have no idea why. Some busy-body probably complained. You're allowed a half-hour between 2 and 6am. After that, you can get nailed for up to $300. Meaning, you probably will get nailed $300
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Here is another good book i read as a kid. Its about a guy who decides to paint his house in his own personal style and the neighbours reaction.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Orange-Spl...g+orange+splot

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          It's one of Pittsburgh's southern 'burbs.

Not being allowed to park on the street at night started in the 1950s. I have no idea why. Some busy-body probably complained. You're allowed a half-hour between 2 and 6am. After that, you can get nailed for up to $300. Meaning, you probably will get nailed $300
          What happens if you've don't have enough offstreet parking?
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I've told the story here before, but I'm too lazy to look up the thread. The very short version:

Crazy neighbors who hated us (and pretty much everybody else) + Dad's professional fireworks hobby = full scale raid by the ATF.

Fun times.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              I've told the story here before,
              the story

Comment

Thanks, sms
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I have been known, on occasion, to tweak buttinski neighbors. A guy across the street from me when I was growing up absolutely hated the Battleship (the '60 Mercury my uncle left me when he died). Talk about a land barge! The body on it was straight, but there was a little rust, and the car had well over a 100,000 miles on it, so yeah, it burned a little oil. There was no off-street parking where I lived, so the Battleship had to be moored curbside. And exactly WHERE depended on what time I got home. If I got home early enough, it was in front of the my house. If I got home late, it might be a block away.

Anyway, the old coot across the street got really bent out of shape one time because the Battleship was parked in front of his house. Yes, I had parked it there the night before, and yes, it was now like 11am and most of the on-street parking was available, and he wanted me to move the car RIGHT AWAY. He actually beat on my door about this.

Well, having just woken up, and having no plans that day until 4 or so, I told him I'd move it later that day. Uh-uh. He wanted it moved NOW. Tough luck, I told him.

Well, he actually got out a ruler and discovered I'd parked slightly further than the 'allowed' distance from the curb, and called the cops, who left a parking ticket under my windshield wipers. He stood there smirking when I found the ticket, too.

Guess where I parked EVERY DAMNED TIME I HAD THE CHANCE after that? Even if there were spots in front of my own house, I made it a point to park the Battleship in front of his house. It was especially fun during that couple of weeks the muffler was falling off.....

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                    What happens if you've don't have enough offstreet parking?
                    I have no idea. Most of the neighborhood is single-family homes, usually with two or three cars each. The exception, at least on my block, was my parents' home. When my two brothers and I still lived there, we had a whopping 6 vehicles to park

The scenario usually went like this: one car in the garage, 3 in the driveway, and we'd rotate as to who had to park at the neighbor's place around the corner. Her daughter had 5 kids, so she was over there all the time to help out. Putting a car in her driveway made it look like someone was home. As to the last car--my project car--it wasn't running at the time, and tended to sulk at the very back of my mom's garage

It was either that, or we would have been screwed. There isn't much in the way of off-street parking. Most of the lots are privately owned, and they will tow you if you park without permission.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      I have no idea. Most of the neighborhood is single-family homes, usually with two or three cars each. The exception, at least on my block, was my parents' home. When my two brothers and I still lived there, we had a whopping 6 vehicles to park

The scenario usually went like this: one car in the garage, 3 in the driveway, and we'd rotate as to who had to park at the neighbor's place around the corner. Her daughter had 5 kids, so she was over there all the time to help out. Putting a car in her driveway made it look like someone was home. As to the last car--my project car--it wasn't running at the time, and tended to sulk at the very back of my mom's garage

It was either that, or we would have been screwed. There isn't much in the way of off-street parking. Most of the lots are privately owned, and they will tow you if you park without permission.

When I lived at home we had a two-car driveway but since my mom worked odd hours (Nurse midwife) and I had a car, she and I both got special overnight parking permits. This is in the suburbs, anyway, so there was plenty of room on the street for us.

I live in an apartment above a storefront now on the main street in our town. I have a parking permit for overnight parking on the main street but as I discovered two weeks ago (having never been told, conveniently, by the cops when I got my permit and despite having lived there for two years) you're supposed to put money in the meter after 9am since the parking permit is only for overnight.

Comment

Working...
                      X