This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewercard: The New Low In Extortion

Anyone seen the new reviewercard? It's a black card that reads: Reviewercard I Write Reviews. The way that it's supposed to work is, you present it to businesses to get great service in exchange for positive reviews.

What it REALLY seems to be, however, is a not-so-thinly-veiled threat that says: You'd better kiss my ass with freebies, discounts and preferential treatment or I'll write a negative review of your business.

Here's an article http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan...zarus-20130122

Thoughts?
    Last edited by zigcat; 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM. Reason: fix link
    I don't like your attitude!
    Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Personally, I thouhgt the idea was that the restaurant/service shouldn't know that you are a reviewer specifically so you DON'T get preferential treatment. Of course some reviewers probably are in it to get the specials so I guess both are out there.

Comment

I figure that the best way to see what service is *really* like is if the reviewer is incognito. Another way is to go with friends and show up ten minutes late on purpose (have the friends alert the server that someone will be coming in late), and just have them order "family style"/as shared dishes. By the time the orders have been placed, even if the reviewer is recognized, it will be too late to pass on the message to "make it especially good, this guy's a reviewer!" From what I've read, many newspaper reviewers do indeed either go in large groups or in disguise.

In the article, the reviewer indirectly admits that he effectively extorted freebies from the restaurant by threatening them with a bad review. The way he had been treated before the reveal showed how the place really was, and that's what should have been in his review, methinks.
      Last edited by EricKei; 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The guy giving out the cards is clearly a sleezebag.

Anyone who pays for one of the cards is a sleezebag.

If a customer whips one out, the best thing to do would be to show them the door. Immediately. And don't hesitate to call the cops if they won't go. Extortion (which is the only possible use for this stupid card) is an ugly thing, and should not be tolerated.

In a perfect world, the review sites would ban you for having such a card, but I doubt they'll deal.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

So let me get this straight. Someone walks into where I work, and tells me that they spent $100 on a meaningless card in a rather weak attempt to make me believe that they have some authorateh on the interwebs (them and everyone else). They then tell me that they will write a fraudulent review in my favour if I give them stuff or write a fraudulent review to my detriment if I don't. And they don't expect to be laughed out of my shop like the arsehats that they are because...?

Anyone?

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
            Anyone who pays for one of the cards is a sleezebag..
            Not to mention dumb as hell. $100 for a little card? It would be easier and cheaper to buy some personalized business cards. Or how about doing the tried-and-true method of simply telling the company you'll be writing a review online. Anyone can write a review, you certainly don't need to purchase a $100 card to qualify.

Either way I agree, trying to leverage a potential review for special service or freebies is sleezy.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

As unethical as it sounds, it's perfectly legal if one of those card holders (or any customer really) lets a business know they will be writing a review of their experience with them. However! If said customer threatens to write a bad review IF they do not get more than what the normal customer gets (freebies, discounts etc). That is called extortion and THAT is very much illegal in the USA and most, if not all, other countries.

My advice if any business gets one of these self entitled whores, is to wait until they threaten to write a bad review if they don't get their almighty freebies or discounts then call the cops or threaten THEM with legal action against their attempt at extortion.

Oh I will say this about 'mystery shopper' vs letting a business know you're a mystery shopper or a reviewer... I have a friend who sometimes gets bad service verging on down right bigotry due to her appearance (she was born with a cleft palate and the surgery to have it fixed was botched and made it even more noticeable).

A few years ago she started dropping hints about writing reviews on Yelp. She says the moment she mentions Yelp, she's treated with much more respect even if it was sometimes false respect. It may sound bad but if that's what it takes for people to look past her appearance and treat her like a customer and not a freak then I'm all for it.
              Last edited by EricKei; 08-24-2013, 11:19 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Insomnia mentioned what I was going to say. I thought the whole idea of mystery shoppers was to gauge how a place really is. That's the theory anyways. This card is the same as announcing to the world that you're a mystery shopper.

I'd rather read honest reviews than paid off reviews.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                  Personally, I thouhgt the idea was that the restaurant/service shouldn't know that you are a reviewer specifically so you DON'T get preferential treatment. Of course some reviewers probably are in it to get the specials so I guess both are out there.
                  Exactly the point.

Paid reviewers are paid by who ever publishes the review, not the person/business actually reviewed.

That's why Consumer Reports does not take donations from corporations and does not advertise. They buy everything they test or review . . . multiple times.

What this guy is doing is unethical, not to mention borderline illegal. Actually it is illegal; he's selling the cards giving the customer the expectation that flashing it will get them something beyond what they are entitle to. His 100 or so customers are saps.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

"Dear Yelp, I bought a "reviewer" card from a guy who promised me that flashing this card at restaurants, bars and other businesses would get me preferential treatment, but all it got me was the bum's rush! One place laughed in my face and kicked me out, and another guy called the cops and charged me with extortion! I want my money back! Don't buy a reviewer card from this guy!"
                    Last edited by MoonCat; 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X