This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammy former owners

This is about the former owners of The Resort.

Quick rundown of The Resort's history: about a year ago (last August or so), one of the owners went into bankruptcy. The other ownership partner entity wanted nothing to do with The Resort and, after an (rather half-assed) attempt to find a new owner, simply shut the place down. It was a move that you could see coming well in advance. New Owners took over, and we've reopened.

For whatever reason, gift card assets weren't part of this acquisition and New Owners won't honor anything prior to the acquisition. It's a new company; the old gift cards were only good with the old company. Many people are disappointed, but most have been understanding since most had bought their gift cards a while ago.

Not this woman. She ripped me a new one today over the phone, and I honestly can't say I blame her. She purchased a $300 gift card last October when The Resort was very much in the (very public) process of sinking. She was assured that, despite all the issues at The Resort, the gift card would most certainly be valid for one year. Uh huh.

While some suck does lie with her for buying a gift card to a business clearly going under (she told me she "understood what was going on, but..."), it still seems pretty scammy to be taking people's money for gift cards, presumably to be used later, when the owners in fact had no intention of maintaining The Resort and every intention of closing it.

The hardest part was explaining that while yes, The Resort has the same name as before, it has new owners, new management, and it's effectively a completely new company. I tracked down Old Owners' phone number and gave it to the woman. Hopefully she can get some reimbursement.

Speaking of same names

Had a woman who called several different associates wanting the gate code to one of the many residential gates in the community. She did not want to hear that she needed to call The Resort Association (community association) and not The Resort (hotel). They both have The Resort in there because in a past life (over a decade ago) they were the same entity. They are two completely separate entities now, though. Two entities, almost the same name. Understandably confusing, but unfortunately every time we tried to place the woman on hold so we could get her the right contact she hung up, then called back and started yelling at another associate. After three different people she must have given up because we stopped hearing from her.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    She did not want to hear that she needed to call The Resort Association (community association) and not The Resort (hotel). They both have The Resort in there because in a past life (over a decade ago) they were the same entity. They are two completely separate entities now, though. Two entities, almost the same name.
    I can imagine that woman taking her car in for service:

What do you mean you can't do an oil change on my S40? This is a Volvo dealership, after all - and why do you have all those trucks cluttering the lot?

The signs are all there - if it had been a Bulldog (yep, Mack is owned by Volvo), it would've bitten her.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Did number 2 ever hear of directory assistance? Did she honestly expect you to have that info right by you phone ready for such a query? Never mind, I just answered myself.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My mom bought me a gift card to a bookstore that was closing. It was my Christmas gift. The store closed 26 December. Yeah. When I questioned her why she would buy a gift card to a store that was advertising its closure she said the CSR mumbled something she didn't understand. Uhm, yeah..again. <le sigh> The card couldn't be used for on-line purchases -odd- so a year later I was visiting my BFF out in Seattle were the store was still a going concern and I was able to finally use my gift card.
        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

When MW was in bankruptcy/closing, the first thing they stopped selling was gift cards. It was posted EVERYWHERE that we were no longer selling gift cards. Oh the fits that were thrown by customers... you'd think we'd killed their firstborn, except I don't think they cared that much about their firstborn. I mean, they were wanting to get the kid a gift card from a very publicly and vocally dying store.

But then the court order came down and the stores had to stop honoring gift cards too. Made me very, very glad I worked in the repair center where we never accepted gift cards. Oh, my goodness! The repair center was located at least a mile away from the store and I swear I could hear the customers screaming from inside the loudest part of our building! Not that I blamed them, mind, but... the store can't go against a bankruptcy court's orders.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
          X