Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from a Discount Store (moaning myrtles and mean girls edition) (swearing, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from a Discount Store (moaning myrtles and mean girls edition) (swearing, long)

As the title suggests, this edition is a collection of sucks regarding those women who just like to moan (grumpy old men will be in the next one! ) and the ones that take pleasure in upsetting or belittling others. This one is super long, so apologies for that. I will promise you a super good read though.

I no longer work for the discount store but if one story pops up which is all "Today I served a woman..." that's because it's been copied and pasted from another website that I use. So now that's clear:

1) I was serving a lady. She’d bought some items as well as four packets of chocolate eggs. The eggs were on pegs at the top of the shelf. There were some other left over Easter products on the very bottom of the shelf. They were all BOGOF. There were three signs that stated this on the very bottom of the shelf, where the BOGOF items were. In big letters. Also on the signs were the names of the products that were BOGOF. The eggs weren't mentioned in the sign, therefore, it’s common sense to assume they were not part of it.

Lady: Why have you charged me extra for these eggs? The signs say that they are buy one get one free!

Me: Oh no, it’s not the eggs. It’s the chocolate on the bottom shelf, see?

Lady: It’s very misleading.

Me: I’m so sorry, let me get the sign and check.

Lady: *huff* I don’t have time for this! I’m in a rush! I just told you that the signs are misleading! What are you going to do about this?

Me: Do you still want the eggs?

Lady: No. I’m not going to bother.

Me: Okay, give me one moment and I’ll take them off your transaction.

Because we were short staffed, I had been given the supervisor’s code and could do the voids myself. Because I’m not used to doing these though I was taking a while. The lady didn’t like this one bit and started acting a little strange.

Lady: Why are you being so awkward? I know you’re doing this deliberately! You’ve tricked me into this. You’ve made the signs misleading on purpose and now you’re deliberately keeping me here because you know I’m in a rush! (LOL WUT?)

Me: I’m sorry you feel that way, maam.

Lady: Excuse me?

Me: I’m sorry.

I carried on, not as quick as I’d have liked, removing the eggs from her transaction. Since she’d picked four packs up this meant I had to remove four items.

Lady: I just told you! I’m in a rush!!! You’re just being slow on purpose! You people always make the signs misleading just to trick me! I’ll just leave my money here because this is ridiculous and I don’t have time for this!

Me: Do you need the receipt?

Lady: No.

Me: Okay, you can leave your money on the side. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

She then left the shop. It was quite a bizarre suck. I just find it funny that she’d think that. I wasn’t till based on the day and I had a lot of things to do on the shop floor. The last thing I wanted was to be stuck on the till. I wanted the transaction to run smoothly just like she did!

2) A woman came to my till with a basket of stuff. When it came to her last item, I found out that it had a 50p sticker on it - half price. I scanned it in as usual and, as I was manually reducing it, she suddenly snapped, "That one's 50p! Why are you charging me £1 for it?!" I told her that I had charged her 50p and then read her total out, which was £11.50. She pulled a face at me and then said, "Did you not hear what I just said? You charged me £1 for that. It's 50p! It said so on your till!" She pointed up to the part of the till that shows the customer the items scanning and the total.

"That's because the till scans it as £1," I told her. "So I have to manually reduce it myself. It's £11.50 altogether, please."

She was not happy and still adamant that I hadn't reduced her item. Even though this is Poundland, where everything is £1 and her total is £11.50 and pretty fucking obvious to anyone that I've reduced an item since duh, £11.50. She whipped the receipt out of my hand and checked it herself, scrutinizing every last inch. When she was satisfied she said, "You're the one who works here! I shouldn't have to check my receipt looking for mistakes that YOU made."

WTF? I did not make a fucking mistake, lady.

3) I was serving a lady. The transaction was running smoothly until it came to her handing the money over. She gave me a very tatty £20 note that looked like it had done a few rounds in a washing machine. This isn't really a problem. The problem was the massive tear in the note that had completely severed the metallic strip. A tear literally ANYWHERE else on the note would not be a problem. But if the strip is damaged, we can't take the note. I actually got into a lot of trouble a few years ago for accepting a note in this condition.

I told her that I couldn't accept the note, really sorry, does she have anything else she can use? She just glared at me so I apologised again. She snottily stated that she got it from the bank and that I had to take it. I told her again that I couldn't because the strip had been severed. She shook her head in disgust, took the offending note from me and handed me another one.

I wanted to try and rectify the situation so I told her that perhaps the bank could take it back and exchange it for her. I told her that it was unfair that they had given her a note in such condition. I was trying to be nice and offer some friendly advice. She quipped back with "You work in a shitty little poundshop so don't you dare try and lecture me!" I apologised again and tried to explain that I did not mean for it to sound like I was lecturing her. I was just opening my till up to give her the change and she snapped, "Shut up and give me my change! Or are you going to keep it?" What? No. Who do you take me for? Oh yes. A lowly poundshop worker. Right. I handed her the change and receipt to her and she snatched it from me forcefully before flouncing out of the shop like someone possessed.

The 'poundshop' remark really got to me. Yes, I work in a 'shitty little pounshop' as you so nicely put it. It does NOT mean I'm so beneath you that you think you can treat me like I'm dirt on the bottom of your shoe!

4) I was serving a lady. In her basket I noticed that she had a can of body spray, which is 2 for £1. I told her about it, she apologised saying that she’d not read the sign (shocking! A customer admitting that they’d not read a sign lol), and said she’d be right back while she got another one. This seemed to enrage the customer standing behind.

Her: I haven’t got all day, you know! *She’s glaring at me like I’ve just decided to not serve anymore and am standing there for my health*

Lady, why are you yelling at me and giving me evils? This isn’t my fault.

“Sorry, my customer won’t be long. She’s just gone to…”

She sighed dramatically, slammed her stuff on the counter and yelled, “I don’t have time for this! I’m very busy!” and stormed off.

About ten seconds later, my customer came back, paid, and left. In a matter of seconds, the impatient and VERY busy customer could have left the shop WITH the stuff that she wanted to buy. But no, she left empty-handed because she was apparently too busy to wait for twenty seconds.

5) I served a woman. Suddenly, she yelled to me, “Ouch! That hurt!” *glare*

Before I could even begin to ask what the problem was, she suddenly yelled, “Did you not hear me? I SAID that HURT!”

Me: I’m so sorry, what happened?

Her: Why are there pegs here? One just landed on my foot.

I WAS going to apologise again and tell her that our reusable bags have been placed on the pegs and that the pegs shouldn’t just fall off, and it was just a mistake, but she cut me off:

Her: I’m going to make a formal complaint against you. This isn’t right. Someone has to pay for this.

I’ll admit, I flipped out.

Me: Why are you going to complain about me? I haven’t done anything!

She then went on a tirade that I was the only one here, so therefore it was my fault that a customer got hurt, and that she WAS going to take it as high as she could, and to the courts if she had to. For real? Apparently so. She was livid.

Me: Okay, I’m going to call for my manager.

Her: NO. You deal with this! This is your mess, you should sort it out. If you can’t take the heat, then you shouldn’t be in retail!

Me: No, I’m calling him because I don’t have to put up with this. I’ve done nothing wrong.

Her: Well, aren’t you the fiery one. I’m surprised you haven’t been given the sack yet with an attitude like yours.

At this point I just decided to ignore her, but she glared at me and then carried on.

Her: I’ve been in retail for 30 years. You don’t backchat the customers!

Me thinking: So, what if the customer is threatening to take you to the courts for ‘hurting’ the customer, even though you have done NOTHING wrong? So, I’m supposed to be all sweetness and light, wishing you good luck in the lawsuit?

The supervisor actually came down and asked me what the problem was. The lady said that she’d placed her handbag onto the pegs and one of the pegs fell off.

REALLY? So it was YOUR fault after all? Who places a heavy bag on to some flimsy pegs that are meant for reusable bags?

The customer also said though, that she (me) was liable since she was serving at the time, and she didn’t make me (her) aware that the pegs were apt to falling off. She ended up storming off and yelling to me that this wasn’t over, she WOULD be complaining, not only about me causing her harm, but also over my attitude.

BTW I never heard anything back. Yay.

6) This one really made me angry. It wasn’t directed at me. Two girls of around 18-20 came to my till, talking about another customer. According to them, the other customer was a ‘drooling retard who looked like she’d shat herself.’ They also said that she’d probably escaped from the ‘loony bin’ and that the men in white coats needed to come and catch her.

I made them aware with a scathing look that what they just said was in no way, shape or form, an acceptable thing to say, and continued to scan their stuff through with an incredulous look written on my face since I couldn’t quite grasp how anyone, regardless of their age, could talk like that.

7) There’s a lady that has been coming in for as long as I can remember. 9 times out of 10 she’s being rude or gets annoyed over the smallest of things. My stomach lurches whenever she comes in because I just know she’ll kick up a fuss over SOMETHING. One time she kept yelling at me because one of her grandkids had a toy that didn’t have a barcode on it and I had to get another one. Everything else I did afterwards was wrong. I wasn’t packing right, I was patronizing her grandkids, I was being rude to her. She’s always picking offer items up that ARE clearly marked as offers, and yells at me because there wasn’t a sign there. One time I actually got the sign off the shelf to show her and she told me it wasn’t clear enough. She always pulls this kind of stunt. It’s like she’s trying to get annoyed over something just so she can yell.

Anyway, she came in today. Her grandkids were with her, and they are little terrors. Think of the type of child who holds his hand out over a shelf and runs, knocking everything down. That’s them. My heart lurched. NOT HER AGAIN. I was facing at the time since it was pretty much dead. She knew I was there. Suddenly, she said to one of her grandkids, “I hate this shop!” The kid asked why. “It’s full of tat. And I just really hate the people that work here! They’re so rude!”

I just… what?! I was fuming! It was so obvious to anyone listening that she only said that because I was right there. If I’m unimpressed with a shop or the service, I wait until I’m outside the store to vent, or I just keep my mouth shut. It’s either rude, or tactless, or both, but in this case I just think she was being vindictive.

And lady, IF we’re rude to you (which we’re not. I certainly aren’t in any case) then is it any wonder? You moan and insult us at every chance you get! I’m sure we’re not the only shop to loathe her. I wonder if her name's Myrtle?

8) I had just gone on my fifteen minute break. I got my purse, went downstairs, got a sandwich and proceeded to queue. It was busy because it's Saturday and there was only one cashier on. He was also new. I told him to ring his bell. In the meantime, the queue got bigger and bigger and the new guy made a small mistake. He asked me how to correct it but I told him that he'd need a supervisor for that kind of mistake. As usual, queue was getting bigger.

My manager came and jumped on the till next to the new guys. He served some people, then it was my turn. But when I went to place my sandwich onto the counter, the woman behind me swiped it away and placed this huge basket onto the counter saying "I'm next!" I turned to her and said, "Excuse me, but I was before you."

"Oh I'm soooooo soooorry!" she sarcastically said. She rolled her eyes at me and wouldn't move her basket from the counter. I lost my temper and said, "You've jumped the queue! I was waiting to be served before you, and I've only got a sandwich!"

Cue her yelling that the staff at this shop are rude and disrespectful to their customers. I told her that I was a customer too and she chimed back saying that because I work here I should let the actual customers go first.

FUCK YOU. And lol 'actual customers'. Because I work at the store I'm not actually a customer didn't you know?!

My manager caved and said, "Evannah, calm down! Take your sandwich now, you can pay for it later."

I turned to the woman and said to her, "I'm on a fifteen minute break here, just so you know." and walked off. Because fuck her if she thinks she can push in front of me with a big basket of stuff and get away with it, just because I work here. I'm on a break, I'm not inclined to be falsely nice to you just because you're an 'actual customer'. This is my personal time right now, and I have EVERY right to defend myself.

9) A woman and a young girl around six came to my till. The woman’s transaction came to £7 altogether. She had five regular items and three items that were on an offer: 3 for £2. As soon as I read the total out to her she questioned it.

Her: Why is it £7? It should be 6!

Me: Sorry, I might have scanned something twice by accident.

She huffed and rolled her eyes. I checked the total on the receipt and read it out to her.

Her: See? I told you it should be 6!

Me: It comes to £7 altogether. These are three for £2.

Her: Yes, and? It should still come to £6.

She angrily started to get everything out of the bag and counted the items to me. I don’t know how she did it, but she managed to get it to come to £6 even though she’d counted it all out loud. I also counted it and yes, it came to £7.

Her: You counted it wrong. I want you to refund me my £1 please.

Me: I can’t. The total came to £7.

Her: No it didn’t!

I really didn’t know what else to do so I counted the items again just to re-check. Yes. It was £7 and not £6. I pointed it out to her yet again. This time though she was listening to her young daughter who, I assumed, had asked her mum why she was so angry.

Her: I’m not angry at you sweetheart, I’m angry at her! She won’t shut up even though she’s in the wrong!

Me: I’m sorry!

I looked at her quite shocked. She looked at me back and then had the gall to say:

“I wasn’t even talking about you anyway!”

Oh? Is that so? Well I can’t see any other ‘Her’ around here, can you?

She then left the shop, but not before saying, “We’ll take our business to the other store in future!” to her young daughter.

She also glared daggers at my supervisor as she left, and also glared daggers at me while she was walking up the street. My supervisor knew just from the look she gave her that something was wrong and asked what it was all about.

I just don’t get some people though. I really don’t!

10) A lady wanted to know if we’d got any dishwasher tablets in. I didn’t know, so I asked the guy who works the household section (cleaning products etc) if we’d got any in stock. He said we’d got a few boxes upstairs but he didn’t no whether they had been put in the section or were still on the pallet. So I offered to go and look for the dishwasher tablets. Lady said that’s fine, could she please have two packs.

It took me a little while to find the dishwasher tablets, as they had been hiding on the pallet beneath other boxes. I took the entire lot down so that I could put them on the shelf. The lady wasn’t there when I came back. That is a pet peeve of mine. If you ask for something and we have to leave you to go fetch it, then it would be a very good idea to stay in that one spot.

I had a quick look for her, couldn’t find her. So I started to put the dishwasher tablets out.

“Er… excuse me? Hello?”

The lady had come back and was stood right behind me. I had seen a few other customers at the bottom of the next aisle over. Apparently, one of them was her because she pointed this fact out to me.

“Ooops, I’m sorry! I didn’t realise you were down there. And I can’t remember faces very well either.”

She glared at me, grabbed the dishwasher tablets out of my hand and, as she left, yelled, “What an idiot!”

I’m the idiot? You were the one who decided to go on a walk about. You were the one who decided I was an idiot because I made a small error and didn’t realise you were down in that other aisle. I am not an idiot because I forgot what you looked like, nor am I am idiot for assuming you’d be in the same spot as you were when I left you. YOU have made my job a lot harder for me and YOU gave me a bit of grief for it. Now, who’s the idiot again…?

And also, gee, that is the thanks I get for going upstairs and getting her those two boxes of dishwasher tablets. It’s so lovely that we shop workers get treated with the respect and thanks that we deserve, isn’t it

11) It’s been fairly busy on the tills, what with it being the run-up to Christmas and all. As such, there was a queue at my till, so I rang for assistance. In the queue I could hear this woman complain to her friend that the shop was stupid, why is there only one till on? Is the cashier going slow on purpose? (I wasn’t even going slow, we were just busy!). She was going on and on and on and on and on, I swear to God. Stupid this, stupid that, they shouldn’t have to wait in a queue this big and again, WHY was there only one till on?!

I said to her:

“Sorry! I’ve just buzzed for a cashier.”

She looked at me and said,

“We weren’t even talking to you, so keep your nose out of it, alright?!”

Okaaay. My manager ended up coming on to the till and he called some customers down. When it got to their turn the lady said to her friend,

“We’ll go here instead, and get served by someone who doesn’t have an attitude problem.”

Lolwhut. I’m the one with the attitude problem? Haha. She ended up complaining about me, and then decided she’d go above my manager’s head since he backed me up. You see, my manager was on the shop floor and overheard everything she said, and also heard what I’d told her, and he couldn’t understand why she was going to complain about me. He also told me that if she complained to head office that he’d back me up 100%.

Never got a complaint.

12) I was serving a lady and she was paying with a card. She put her card in the machine and immediately started to put her pin number in. I told her that it was not ready yet but she didn’t listen. She kept trying to put her number in over and over wondering why it wouldn’t take it. The card machine finally told her to enter her pin but she must have already entered it partially, because it told her her pin number was wrong. She huffed and puffed. I told her to please press the ‘clear’ button to wipe the pin number off so that she could re-enter it. She didn’t do that. Instead she pulled out her card and then put it back in immediately and started entering her pin again, when it wasn’t ready. I told her to clear it, but she didn’t. She took the card out again. FINALLY, she listened to my prompt (Enter your pin for me please) and didn’t put her number in until AFTER I’d asked to, which is what she should have done in the first place! It went through, and that was that. Or so I thought…

The queue was getting bigger, all because she couldn’t read or listen to simple instructions (it tells you when you should enter your card, and your pin and when you should remove your card AND I was trying to tell her what to do and when to do it) so she turned to the queue and said,

“Sorry about this, folks! I think they need to get someone else on the tills, preferably someone who actually knows what they’re doing!”

WHAT? Just WHAT? I don’t know what I’M doing? I was the one who tried to tell you what to do with your card and when to enter your pin, and how to clear your wrong pin numbers, yet I’m the one who doesn’t know what I’m doing? And you had to say that to my face, didn’t you? You couldn’t just walk away, could you? You just HAD to say something, didn’t you? An apology wasn’t enough, you had to try and shame me at the same time, even though the whole shenanigans were YOUR fault.

I hate people sometimes.

13) There was me and another cashier on the tills. It was insanely busy at the time because everyone was going mad buying sweets and Halloween decorations/costumes. We’re short staffed because we’re not making enough money so it was just me and her on tills. There were about 20 customers waiting to be checked out. None of the customers were sucky. The suck comes afterwards.

A woman suddenly caught her leg on a metal grate that had come loose from the bottom of one of the shelves. No one was aware of this until this point. She went down fast, and ended up hurting herself badly. I immediately stopped serving and rushed round the front of the till area to help her. I asked her if she was okay, and tried to help her up, but she couldn’t get up. I called for my boss, and he came down instantly. Me and the other cashier were told to carry on serving the customers, so that’s what we did.

About two minutes afterwards, my boss had to quickly go upstairs and fetch down the accident book so that he could record it all. Well, in the time that he was gone, two women saw the woman on the floor with all these other customers around her and decided to snap at me as I was busily scanning my customers through.

“Excuse me, but can’t you get a manager?! There’s a woman down here on the floor, in case you hadn’t bloody noticed!”

“We’re well aware and my manager has been informed.” I’ll admit, I might have come across as a bit snooty when I said it. Her initial tone pissed me off and I found it hard not to sound annoyed.

She sneered at me, turned to her friend and said, “Oh, we’re well aware and my manager has been informed!” said in a mock tone. She then openly accused me and the other cashier of not giving a damn and that we were horrible, careless people and should be ashamed of ourselves.

Way to totally misjudge a situation, lady. Had you seen me minutes before, rushing around to help the poor customer, you would NOT be saying that. But we were apparently so horrible and uncaring that she and her friend decided they wouldn’t be shopping here anymore and stormed off.

The lady who fell got our full support once we’d got the queue down, and we gave her a bottle of water for free. She ended up leaving the shop about ten minutes later and was fine in the end, thankfully!

Also, it appeared that I was so eager to help the fallen woman that I nearly knocked over the other cashier as I ran to help her (She told me and we had a bit of a laugh about it). But I’m such a careless horrible person, right?!

14) A woman approached the till with another woman and a man. As I was scanning her things, she looked down at the bracelets we were selling, for a charity. She said, "Oh, God, not another charity! I'm so sick and tired of all these stupid charities!"

I was angry so I said, "This one's for people and their families who are struggling with cancer."

I was met with an eyeroll and then she said, "So? Nothing to do with me, why should I care?"

Holy fucking shit. I was nearly crying. When they went, another customer asked me if I was okay. I told her that a friend was currently battling cancer (she hasn't got cancer anymore whoo! But then her husband got cancer and died ) and that I found the woman's comments hurtful. She said just ignore people like that, they aren't worth your time.

15) A woman bypassed my till and stood at the till next to mine, which was closed.

Me: Sorry, that till’s closed. I can serve you from this till over here, so if you wouldn’t mind just moving across, thanks *smile smile smile*

Her: I beg your pardon? I find that tone VERY offensive! And why can’t you serve me from over here?! (Her voice was raised, and it shocked me because my tone was pleasant and not offensive like she thought it was).

Me: I’m really sorry! But that till’s closed and it makes it easier for me if you stand in front of my till.

She finally moved over to my till but she looked angry and had her arms folded across her chest.

Her: Why am I being treated like this?

Me: I’m sorry for any offence caused.

Her: Empty words. Empty words.

She shook her head and sighed a LOT.

I decided to try and salvage the situation and was really nice and helpful towards her, but she was having none of it. She let me know a few more times as I was scanning her things that I had really offended her. As I was scanning some cookies, I realised she’d only picked one pack up, when they were buy one get one free.

Me: These cookies are on offer, buy 1 get one free. Would you like another pack?

Her: Oh for crying out loud! No, I don’t want them now.

She picked two other packs of cookies up that were on display behind her and brought them over.

Me: These are £1 each, is that okay?

Her: Yes, of course it’s okay! Stop talking, and just bag them up for me, for goodness sake!

I took a deep breath. After the transaction had completed, she was having trouble gathering up her bags. I went above and beyond and left my till to assist her. I had to come out of the till area and walk around to the lane.

Me: Here, let me help you.

Her: (Snatching a bag out of my hand as I was handing it to her) I don’t want any help from the likes of you!

She stormed off, dragging her bags to the front of the shop, where she stood for about ten minutes trying to sort them out.

And WHO was being offensive here, exactly? Me, apparently…

16) A woman came up to my till with a roll of kitchen foil.

"Excuse me, do you have this in a longer roll? I'm cooking a beef joint on Sunday and I need a bigger roll."

"I'm not sure, let me just check for you."

I buzzed for someone on the shop floor to see if there was any kitchen foil in a bigger size. Turns out that we'd run out.

"I'm sorry about that," I said. "Is this roll of kitchen foil going to be okay for you?"

"No, it's NOT going to be okay for me," she snapped.

I was taken aback. I said that I was sorry, and that I couldn't help it.

"Well you DID ask! I'm giving you my honest opinion. I'm unsatisfied about this. I am supposed to be cooking a beef joint on Sunday and now I don't know HOW I'm going to be able to do it."

"I'm sorry. Do you still want this foil then?"

"Yes," she said with a big sigh. "I suppose it will have to do."

She left unsatisfied. But anyway, I tried. She still tried to guilt-trip me. If she'd tried even harder to make me feel guilty then I guess I might have felt bad for her and pulled the longer roll of kitchen roll out of my arse for her. Honestly, no amount of guilt tripping is going to make her get that longer roll of kitchen foil because we DON'T HAVE ANY.

17) A girl aged around 16 came in with two older girls (around 20). They were browsing the shop. Five minutes later I was serving a customer and she just came straight up to me and said, "Does this plug into a mobile phone?" in a really loud voice. She was waving the item around in my face and stooped over my cash register, really invading my personal space.

I said, "Just a minute, please."

She said, "Hello? HELLO? I said does this plug into a mobile PHONE?"

"I'm sorry, just a moment and I'll be with you."

She pouted, made angry faces and then started tapping the item over and over again against the counter, at the side, making these awful sucking noises with her tongue. The customer I was serving had this really disgusted look on his face but kept his cool. If I'd had been in his situation, I probably would have said something to the girl. As a cashier, I had to bite my tongue.

I assisted her, and said that that was actually to plug into a computer. She walked off and met up again with her friends. Another cashier was down the aisle they were in and later told me that they were complaining about me being rude. She overheard the girl saying that she couldn't read and how was SHE supposed to know etc etc.

They came up to my till later to pay for a few things. They were talking. One of them said, "She is SO rude. Well, if she's rude to any of us ever again I'm gonna smash her fucking face in."

Oh. A threat. Nice.

I got them out of the shop and talked to two other cashiers about what had just gone down. They are quite well known in the town. They're rough, and WILL assault you if they think you're being rude, or you don't give them what you want. The assistant manager came down to talk to me as well and said that, even though it's not exactly legit, we must bend the rules for this family because they hold deep grudges and are violent and will get their whole family to come in, spy on you, find out your hours, wait outside for you, and pounce.

Apparently one of the cashiers lives close by to them and they have caused a lot of problems in her neighbourhood.

However, I think this is management suck as well. Yes, they're violent. Yes, they're rude. But rules are rules! They aren't meant to be bent or broken. They should have just been banned from the damn store. But nope, I'm supposed to tolerate their shit and just stand there while they threaten to 'smash my fucking face in'.

18) I was prepping my till since I had just started my shift. Got the carrier bags out from the bottom shelf, tidied the floor because some bags had dropped on there etc. While I was doing this, a woman plonked three drink cans on my counter. Now, someone had left some things on the counter (some garden solar lights and a bar of chocolate). I've got a basket under my till where I put stock in to take back later. As I was trying to quickly get the stuff in there so I could serve, I accidentally picked one of the cans up and went to put that in the basket as well. My bad. I quickly realised my mistake and set it back on the counter.

"Oops, I'm sorry! That one's yours, I didn't realise till the last second! Sorry!" I giggled a bit and thought, you know, she'd understand. No, she did not understand. She flew off the handle and accused me of trying to steal her items. She said,

"Don't you DARE steal my stuff!"

I thought she was joking for a split second. I said, "Um... I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to steal. I just... made a mistake. I'm sorry!"

I was dumbfounded and what I said in response is complete verbatim. I actually said it like that because I was flustered and defensive.

She said, "You did NOT make a mistake! You knew that can was mine and you were trying to steal it! I saw you put it under your till!"

Before I could get another word in, she went on with her tirade.

"I'm NOT happy with this. I'm going to complain to your manager about this."

She paid for her stuff. I tried to remain calm and just serve her like I normally would.

"Would you like a bag?" was responded to with a stern, sharp "No!"

"Do you need your receipt?" was also responded to with a stern, sharp "No" and also a swift flick of the hand as she flounced out with the cans. I was on tenterhooks for the rest of the day because I was expecting to be called into the office and get a bollocking. But I told both supervisors on duty what had happened and they said they'd have my back. She didn't complain after all.

But how could I steal an item she hadn't even paid for yet? And why would I steal from a customer if I was going to be on the till all day? She could see me tidying the till. She saw me put items from the counter into the basket below (the basket is visible by both cashier and customer because the basket is in an open space with the counter on top) yet she chose to accuse me of stealing?

19) I was putting out some boxes of gardening stuff out on the shelves. A woman came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder. She was right there in my face and blurted out, "Think we'll get in our gardens soon?" Then she just stared at me. I didn't understand the question so I said, "I'm sorry?"

She then started laughing and pulling this strange mocking face.

"What the heck do you find so hard to understand? You look so confused! I asked you a simple question. Seriously, you young people are just so slow. Did you even go to school? Talk about stupid."

She then turned to another woman, who she didn't know, and said, "God, I only meant that with the rain and all, do you think we'll get in our gardens soon? She looked at me gone out. What is wrong with the kids of today? They just don't understand anything!"

That was humiliating. It was the way she just stormed up to me and blurted it out. She didn't really give me any hint that she was talking about the weather. Also, I'm autistic, so it tends to take me a while to understand a vague question in my head. Being autistic is bad enough, but it doesn't make me simple. However, it's a sore point with me to be treated like I'm simple, so this woman really offended me.

And that's it! Phew!

"Phew" indeed! Sorry you had all that bottled up, hope it relieved some pressure. I'm grumpy enough just hearing these tales, so I'm gonna put off the male idiots for a bit (if they're up). Nicely written as well.

Comment

I would've never made it out of that job without strangling someone...
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Holy shit those people were assholes.
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

Good lord. Stories like this makes me glad I work at a good store. And with number 17, I would so go over my managers heads and call the police. I don't deal well with threats.

Comment

I am so very, very glad you are out of that store. Just reading these stories made my blood boil. Nobody deserves to be treated the way those hags treated you. Nobody. Every single one of them deserved a slap in the face and a boot in the arse. And that violent bunch deserved a ride in the Chipmobile.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Even with spineless managers all over the globe, I would assume that even in the UK they have something akin to "We reserve the right to refuse service..." like here in the U.S.

The problem is that there are too many spineless managers, and too many spineless "higher ups" who don't give management and employees the leeway to effectively use it.

"We reserve the right to refuse service..." can be a powerful tool/weapon.

If you're standing there taking that sort of abuse, you should absolutely have the right to step back from the till, clearly state that you are refusing service, state why you are refusing service, and have a manager back you up on it.

Sounds good in theory, doesn't it? I honestly think if more places did this, that people would curtail their behavior more.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If I had a store I'd totally have a prominent sign stating I reserve the right to refuse service for any reason.

And then, I'd go all Soup Nazi on SCs. No X for you! Get out!
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Makes me want to open my own store, just so I can tell anyone who acts like this to get the *&%^ out!
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    Even with spineless managers all over the globe, I would assume that even in the UK they have something akin to "We reserve the right to refuse service..." like here in the U.S.
                    Sadly, the "we reserve the right to refuse service" thing will inevitably lead to cries of racism or other such discrimination, no matter how foul the behavior of the customer was to elicit the refusal in the first place.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      Sadly, the "we reserve the right to refuse service" thing will inevitably lead to cries of racism or other such discrimination, no matter how foul the behavior of the customer was to elicit the refusal in the first place.
                      I completely understand that argument. Which is why I would not be averse to security cameras with microphones as well. In fact, there's a small restaurant I go to sometimes near where I work where the guy has a big, yellow sign that says, "Smile! You're on camera!"

Of course, then, that would lead to accusations of "editing the audio/video".

If I had the time, I would seriously write a book aimed at customers who behave that way, AND at retail management.

I worked in food service for about 4 1/2 years. I can tell you that people who work in food service and retail do NOT get paid enough to put up with a lot of that crap.
                      Last edited by mjr; 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

"I'd like to make sure I'm clear on what you're saying. Could you repeat that part about my face? You'd like to smash it, you say?" *takes down a note on paper and plans call to police*
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

But how could I steal an item she hadn't even paid for yet? And why would I steal from a customer if I was going to be on the till all day? She could see me tidying the till. She saw me put items from the counter into the basket below (the basket is visible by both cashier and customer because the basket is in an open space with the counter on top) yet she chose to accuse me of stealing?
                          Your questions and your point is logical. The problem is, this woman and people like her are not. They have as much use for logic as squirrels have for a car buffer. And trying to figure them out with logic is an exercise in futility.

That was humiliating. It was the way she just stormed up to me and blurted it out. She didn't really give me any hint that she was talking about the weather. Also, I'm autistic, so it tends to take me a while to understand a vague question in my head. Being autistic is bad enough, but it doesn't make me simple. However, it's a sore point with me to be treated like I'm simple, so this woman really offended me.
                          I am not simple. Nor am I autistic. I am actually a rather bright fellow. But I would also probably be a bit confused and thrown off by such a random and out of context question, as would most people I know. It has nothing to do with our intelligence or lack thereof, or autism, or anything to do with us at all. It has everything to do with the fact that these people are just blurting random shit out and expecting the rest of her he world to understand what the fuck they're talking about.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                            "We only discriminate against assholes."
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Holy shit, what total assholes.

Ummm, this may sound silly but what is a poundshop?

Comment

Working...
                              X