Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is wonderful news!!! I pray for her continued improvement!!! She's so very lucky to have such a wonderfully supportive and loving family! Way to go, Miss Freak!!!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

*adds streamers to the happy dance happiness party*

Even though it'll be a long road, this is WONDERFUL.

YAY! I am excited to see what else happens.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Long processes are ok. She;s made the first step and that has given everyone more hope for more recovery for her. It's still wonderful news.

Comment

Of course it is going to be a long process, but now she has made a connection with the outside world she will get better just by practising what she can do.

When she can talk and hear, she can learn to use a computer with a special interface. We may see her here one day.

Comment

The process may be long but at least she has started it! I am sure it will be amazing and we will kindly wait until she is ready for that beer.
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Wonderful news bud.

Hope everything keeps onmn the up and up and a full recovery is made
              We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Oh Jester, I am so happy for you and your step-sis and all of your family!
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                  When she can talk and hear, she can learn to use a computer with a special interface. We may see her here one day.
                  She can talk and hear NOW. She has little to no motor skills at the moment, but she will recover those too. She may need a computer with an interface for some time, but she WILL recover, she will return, and she WILL be back to being Miss Freak again. I don't give up, I don't concede, and I don't admit any possibility of anything else.

Period.
                  Last edited by Jester; 06-22-2011, 05:13 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quite right. Sorry.

Comment

Jester, that's some fantastic news right there. I'll raise a glass to her continued recovery next time I have a beer in front of me.

Comment

Mikkel, no need to apologize. I just refuse to believe in any other outcome. She will recover, if for no other reason than I will it so.

For those who think I am entertaining unrealistic hopes, I would like to point out that her speaking at all, let alone answering questions, was an outcome that, just a week ago, was considered by the "experts" only possible through a miracle.

Still A Customer."

Comment

This gives me a good feeling every time I read your updates, Jester. It is amazing what the brain can do to repair itself.

I will raise a beer tomorrow at the game I am going to (or at least take a drink of the hubby's in her name)
                          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

That's awesome news Jester! Praise the Lord, He still performs miracles! I'll definitely keep your step-sis & family (& you) in my prayers for her continued recovery
                            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Update!

Just got an email from Mom. At first I was annoyed that she texted me to tell me to check my email for an update on my stepsister, wondering why she didn't just call me, but then when I saw how much stuff there was in the email, I understood.

Paraphrased and edited for privacy purposes, and with a few of my own notes in italics to clarify things, here is the email from Mom, keeping in mind that my mother is a very understated person and has generally downplayed most of what has been labeled "progress":

-----------------------------------

Went to see Miss Freak today. Her verbal skills have definitely improved (her doctor has even put a plus in that department on her report) and she can string several words together. Her thought process has improved also.

We were told that there is a swimming pool there (who knew?) [I never saw one when I was there, or had any idea that they had one...]; Miss Freak was in it the other day and she loved it! That will be part of her therapy now.

[What follows is a sampling of some of the conversation Miss Freak had with Mom and Stepdad; Mom took notes, apparently. Years after retirement, Mom's still the consummate secretary! ]

She knows who you are in relation to her: I told her each of your names and asked her if she knew who you were. [She correctly identified Lil Sis & The Witch as sisters and me as her brother.]

Told her it was Stepdad's birthday recently. MF: "Happy Birthday." Asked her if she knew how old he was. MF: "56." Told her he was 80. MF: "Oh my God. You old Fart."

Said a lot of goddamnits. [Sounds totally like my stepsister.]

Asked her where she lived. [Named a town in New Jersey she used to live in years ago.]

What colors were I wearing. She came very close with the colors.

When was her birthday. She got the month right, but not the date. [This one kinda bothers me.]

When I was near the end of the bed, she said, "Hi, [Mom's name]."

Asked her who was talking to her when Stepdad was talking. MF: "my father."

Where did you go swimming? MF: "[Name of the town she lived in before this whole episode]." Mom: "That's where the house was that you were in."

Where did you go swimming the other day? MF: "to the pool."

Did swimming feel good? MF: "It felt great."

Where was your beach house? [Correctly identified the location, even using the common shortened version of the town's name that everyone there uses.]

Stepdad asked, "Do you know what town I live in?" MF: "[Correct town name]."

Asked her to identify two singers on the radio. She was correct on both: Donna Sommers (sp?) and Christopher Craft.

I took notes as she was answering the questions, so I could share her answers with you.

This is very encouraging!

Love,
                              Mom

-------------------------------------

For Mom to say "This is very encouraging!" means things are ridiculously awesome, as she is the polar opposite of MF's husband, who exaggerates every tiny bit of progress. (For example, when she first started talking, he said "MF's back!", though she clearly was not fully "back" yet, and won't be for some time.)

So yeah, I am pretty stoked about this.

Can't wait till the next time I'm home in Phoenix and go to visit her!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Wow, that is AWESOME!
                                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                                X