Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl Crappola Involving Bras (opinions please!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Crappola Involving Bras (opinions please!)

So here's my dilemma. For YEARS (since about 9th grade) I've worn a 34B size bra. For the past year or so, I've noticed my bras have started to feel snug in the cup and fit weirdly. Over the past 6 months, it's gotten to the point where my boobs actually slip out of my bras and about half of me actually fits in the cup! It's soooo irritating! I got measured and discovered I'm now a 34C! Sooooo now I have to buy all new bras :/ However, since I started working at Taco Bell, I've gained a good 16 or so pounds and, now that I quit, I plan on losing those 16 or so pounds. My questions are:

1) Do you think my new bra size is related to my Taco Bell belly and will return to normal when I lose those pounds or is it just my new size that's here to stay?
    2) Should I buy all new bras and toss my old ones or buy one or two and keep the old ones just in case?

On one hand, I did gain some weight lately and I know boobs are fat so weight increase can increase your bra size. On the other hand, 16lbs doesn't seem like enough weight gain to affect my bra size. Thoughts?

Note: Excuse the typo in the title. My "p" key has been sticking Don't it figure the typo I miss is in the unchangable title!
    Last edited by Kisa; 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

I would buy a couple of new bras, but hold onto a few of the nicer ones that you have for awhile. I have recently lost about 15 pounds, and have noticed a marked difference in the comfort and fit of my bras.

Comment

I fixed the word 'opinions' for you. Mod tools are handy.

Okay. Breasts contain fat, but are also mammary tissue (milk glands, assorted ducting leading from the glands to the nipples, supporting ligaments, etc etc). Whether your breast size increase is fat alone or fat and mammary tissue is difficult to say.

Bras are made of elasticised fabric, and that fabric has a limited lifespan. Examine all of your bras: any where there's visible loss of elasticity should be thrown out. Any where you can't get a proper response when you pull on the fabric should be thrown out. (Get one of your newest bras, tug on the fabric and release it, it should stretch when you tug it, return to its normal size when released.)

If you still have bras in your old size left after these tests, keep them for a few months.

But go ahead and buy new bras for now. Wearing the wrong size bra is bad for your shoulders and chest, as well as your breasts.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yay thanks for fixing it Now I don't look like an idiot who can't spell Also, I just tried on my newest bra (worn once in total; my other ones are pretty old and worn a few hundred times) and it's even smaller!!! It hardly covers my nipples Now I'm starting to think the only reason I wore 34B's so long is because I was wearing streatched out, beat up, old as hell 34B's when I should have been wearing newer 34C's. Boo...

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
          I'm starting to think the only reason I wore 34B's so long is because I was wearing streatched out, beat up, old as hell 34B's when I should have been wearing newer 34C's. Boo...

From time to time I've had to go out & buy some new ones myself. Can't expect them to last forever. & when you get new ones that fit comfortably, your "girls" will thank you...lol. I know mine did..they had a party in my blouse & I had tell them to settle down, I work in the morning...lol. Then they went "awww, u party pooper!!"...LMAO!
          Last edited by Ree; 11-06-2011, 11:16 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote of entire post

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            From time to time I've had to go out & buy some new ones myself. Can't expect them to last forever.
            I tend to get attached to clothing items Like my zebra flats with the hole in the bottom...and my threadbare bras....and my old as sin holey jeans. I've been wearing my bras til they're threadbare then wearing em some more. I can't even read the labels anymore I need new bras...

Comment

I didn't stop growing in the boob department until I was 23 and hit a DD. I fluctuated a lot while growing up and it's not fat that makes my boobies it's the other stuff. At my smallest I was a C and I was all breast tissue not fat.

I'd say stick to sports bras for now If you are going to lose some weight. They can handle a fluctuation better than a standard bra but you do look like you have a uniboob while you wear them but you don't fall out. If you are going to wear sports bras as everyday wear get the cotton ones, they breathe better than the spandex stuff but you do have to replace them every couple of months - says she who sweats a lot change them often phew can get stinky.

Gave up on bras a long time ago they just don't fit me well but you can say hello to me 3 times when I do .

Comment

As per usual, Seshat hit the nail right on the head.

I just recently turned 28, and have lost a lot of weight in the last couple of tears, (about 70 lbs). Breast size does fluctuate with weight gain, and weight loss, but it is much more than just fatty tissue. I see that you've measured yourself, but might I suggest finding a store that does free fittings (not necessarily measurements, but FITTINGS)? A place like Intimacy

At home measurements are useful tools, for finding a starting point, but the tape measure can't always explain fit. Example: I'd been wearing a 40DD because according to the tape measure, that was my size, but when I went to a store that had fitters, I was never once measured. Instead a consultant was in the fitting room, looked at my current bra, asked a ton of questions, and told me which cuts, styles, etc, would best fit my body type. Then she brought in various bras for me to try.

Final Result? My true size is a 36E. And it makes SUCH a difference wearing the correct bra. Less back pain, better posture, and better figure too.

regardless of what you decide, you do need new bras most likely. Old is comfortable, I fully agree! (Hell, I had to say goodbye to a favorite pair of jeans yesterday, when my boyfriend pointed out the seam had split and worn all along the butt while we were at dinner at his dad's house.), but with bras, worn and comfy isn't the best way to go.

*hugs* Good luck

Comment

My favorite bra makes my boobs look simply AMAZING. I love it, and I have a hard time making myself NOT wear it, so I don't wear it out. And the funny thing is, although the cup size is the same as my other bras, the band size on this one is actually LARGER than the rest. And yet it somehow is more snug and gives me a little more lift. The only difference is that it's a satiny bra, where as most of my others are just cotton.
                  "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I endorse going to a place that does proper fittings, too. I walked into my local store, told them what my problems were, and they just brought me some bras. Best bras I've ever worn. Mind, you, they were about $120 before the sale price, but they were worth every penny. I've been loosing weight and have had them altered twice, next time I need new bras I'm going to have to by new ones, but I definitely got my money's worth out of these.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I lost about 20 pounds and my size stayed the same. Also, I went up 3 cup sizes from the ages of 17 to 25, most of it after 22, 23. It happens. That may be the case with you.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Since you're planning on losing the weight, I'd buy just one bra to get you settled properly now. Something inexpensive is fine. A good sports bra for working out would be a great thing to have if you tend to be sensitive (for me, I need a really strong one or else they hurt *cry* haha).

Once you've come down to your goal, then invest is a good bra like the others have suggested. I've been to a bra place that had a fitter, but I wasn't offered an altering service for the future (could be that's because I never asked, but eh).

That's pretty much what I'm doing now. I have one bra that I wear everyday and one good sports bra for the gym. I've done the same for my clothes: two work pants and a pair of jeans with enough shirts to last the week. Once I'm down to my goal, I'll get more stuff. For me, it's more of a 'just in case my old clothes will fit me' kind of deal

My cup size does tend to change with my weight which is why I'm hesitant to buy expensive stuff. My sister is the same way. My best friend is the opposite.

Comment

I disagree with Slayer. A minimum of two bras. You shouldn't wear the same bra two days in a row.

When you have your evening shower, put the bra in soapy water in the bathroom basin to soak. Swish it around a bit when you get out of the shower, change the water to rinse water. Dry yourself while it soaks in the rinse water, swish it around a bit, change the water again and swish it around to make sure you get ALL the soap out.
                          That will get rid of the day's sweat, flaked off skin, and other general dirt. Hang the bra over the shower rail to dry.

If you're going to go for two bras, you'll need to wash one every day. That's the easiest, least-bother way I've ever found to do that.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've noticed since getting heavily involved in weight lifting, my breasts have gotten wider across the top half (if that makes sense?) so barely any of my bras fit properly anymore. I spill out of nearly every one that I have.

If only those Genie bras weren't just huge sports bras.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              I disagree with Slayer. A minimum of two bras. You shouldn't wear the same bra two days in a row.

[...]

If you're going to go for two bras, you'll need to wash one every day. That's the easiest, least-bother way I've ever found to do that.
                              That's pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever washed my bra(s) that often unless there's a heat wave. I usually do my wash twice a week due to my gym clothes. I don't have a lacy bra so it holds its shape and since I'm in retail, I don't sweat other than when at the gym. And it's November now haha

The cleaning part is something I'll note down for myself when I do invest in bras. I just have a hard time in general finding a good bra so when I do find one, I tend to just stop looking *shrugs*

Comment

Working...
                              X