Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, ok. I can't remember if there was any burning or stinging by now, but I imagine there wasn't if there were no ill effects!

I have no idea why they chose my hand, from what I remember, they didn't even try anywhere else, it was just like "Here, hold your hand out." The only time I had an IV put in my arm is when I needed general anesthesia for getting my wisdom teeth out [they were impacted]. The time I had surgery, they put an IV in my hand but not by the webbing between my thumb and finger [like they did the time it hurt], but on the other side...and they injected me with this stuff that made it puff up there...they said it would make the vein stand out more clearly or something? No idea what that was, but they ended up having to do a second try anyway.

And yeah, I always seem to be cold and dehydrated when I need needles stuck in me.
    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Yeah, clumsy doesn't inspire much confidence when you are carrying a needle..*offers hugs and cookies*

After a stint in the military, my veins finally learned to behave, but at one time they were very uncooperative. (You get stuck with needles a lot when first going into the military, a lot). Good thing I don't mind needles, cause before then it usually took even trained people a couple of times to get my vein. (Now I think a super clumsy beginner could get it in two at most ).
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

My veins are usually cooperative if the person sticking me actually listens. I found this out the hard way.

The first time I ever gave blood, they stuck me in the left elbow and things went perfectly. The second time I gave blood, about two years later at college, I told the phlebotomist that my left elbow worked well. He nodded vaguely and proceeded to stick my right elbow instead. When the bag was two thirds full it stopped drawing. He proceeded to wiggle the needle around a lot trying to get it going again, then took it out, threw away the partial bag, and told me to go get my snack. I about fainted (I swear the only reason I didn't actually collapse was because I have never been able to faint properly in my life; I just get really really light-headed).

Then when I started having blood draws for prenatal visits, I ran into similar problems. Most of the phlebotomists listened when I told them to draw from the left. Some remarked how the veins were much easier to see in that arm, and others did it because I'm right-handed and thus use my right arm for just about everything, so they didn't want me to strain the blood-draw site. But this one lady didn't listen when I asked for my left elbow and stuck my right. I had a toddler by this point, and out of habit kept carrying her in my right arm. I ended up with a monster bruise on that elbow.

Giving birth to my second child was the only time I've truly been turned into a pincushion. They tried to set me up with an IV/blood draw on my left arm, but closer to the hand than the elbow. Apparently my veins were horribly uncooperative there, so I suggested my right forearm since I actually had an IV work there. The nurse got the IV to work, but it wouldn't draw blood, so we ended up sticking my left elbow anyway. They also had to stick the right elbow for something later on (another blood draw, I think, after my left had already been bandaged up), and later I ended up with ginormous bruises inside both elbows. They also had to do the epidural twice because they had a faulty catheter the first time. ::wince::

I'm just glad I can usually deal with needle-sticks so long as I don't watch while they put it in.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I found out that I needed to lay down while getting blood drawn once I had to have some color fluid injected (I have a damage on one of my retinas and they had to check it) - approx. 5 seconds after the injection I felt woozy and nauseous.

Then when I found out that I was pregnant with Lil'Zel, I had to give 5 blood samples in one session - the doc was an intern and not that experienced, so I went home with a big bruise in my arm.

So, imagine my horror when I was told that I hadn't had rubella when I was a child, and therefore had to give a blood test every second week!
          Luckily for me, the receptionist at my doc's office was also a very skilled nurse and she handled the blood tests from then on, and I didn't feel a thing.

Later on, I again had to give 5 blood samples in one session again (on suspicion of PCOS), but this time the doc assigned me to a lab who has some VERY experienced techs when it comes to blood drawing.

Also, Lil'Zel is not as afraid of needles as I am. When he got his final MMR shot this summer, he stared very curiously at the needle sitting deep into his thigh
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
          X