Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Shopping Shenanigans - This is all xx_wolfie_xx's fault!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even put produce into my refridgerator without washing it, much less my mouth.

And I have discovered it goes bad a lot slower than normal, too. I think I manage to get all the "rot" bacteria off.

I have a big mesh collandar that goes over my sink. I make up a weak soap solution with plain old dish soap, and pour it over the whole thing. Rinse the hell out of it. Then I spray it down with straight distilled vinegar, followed by a spray of hydrogen peroxide. I let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly.

You can find info on the chemical reaction that disinfects the produce (or meat) here: http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi...rsterilization

We have a lot of fresh fruit over here, and everyone is always goin on about how fresh and crisp the grapes always are. They don't rot. They turn to raisins before they rot or mold.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      *snuggles and offers chocolate sauce for said icecream
      Somehow I don't think Lupo's in the mood for chocolate anymore.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Lupo you make me so happy when you post about shopping, even if I know it pissed you off. LOL

Her: Shut up, bitch!
        Me: <I shrug> Flattery will get you nowhere, you’re still a thief.
        I am SOOO using that on the next guest that calls me a bitch.

Her: You should’ve said “I told you so!”
        Me: <Snickers> Yeah, well…hey, mind watching my cart for 30 seconds?
        Her: Sure!

I run to the ice cream aisle and grab a pint. I so needed it. >.>
        1. I love that lady now. 2. Yumm.. Ice cream..

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          Ive yet to find a problem that a glass of cold wine didn't solve.
          Oh no, I wouldn't want to see Lupo go grocery shopping while under the influence. First, Lupo might say things that just shouldn't be said.

Second -- and more importantly -- Lupo wouldn't remember it to tell us about!
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

This is the part I don't understand:
            Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
            One of whom looks to be about 3, and has chocolate stains all over her face. There are about 5 empty hershey’s wrappers in the cart (The store had them on sale, apparently).
            What does the sale have to do with anything? You know they didn't pay for them.
            Women can do anything men can.
            But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
            Maxine

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              The only thing that irks me more than seeing someone eating an item sold by weight (like produce) is when I find empty deli food containers stuck on shelves. Someone didn't just mindlessly knosh on some grapes as they did their shopping, they went to the deli, order some food to go, saw it weighed out and tagged with a price, and then wandered around the store consuming it, only to abandon the empty-and-unpaid-for container before they went to pay for the rest of their groceries.
              There's a supermarket where I shop occasionally where there's a cash register at the deli counter. You get a tub of tuna salad or some sliced cheese, you pay for it right then and there, and then nobody minds if you munch on it whilst shopping. They even give you a plastic fork.

(It's an unusual place. Every single product in the store, bar some of the pharmaceuticals, is certified Kosher, and it's a huge store (although the building with the white roof isn't part of it). If it weren't in a massively Hasidic/Orthodox town, they'd never be able to stay in business. While I'm sure they get a few SCs like every other store, the incidence of casual theft as detailed above is way down, because in that community kids are brought up to know that you don't do that. I have a feeling that the register at that counter is there by customer request, so they can nosh while shopping and not be stealing from anyone.)

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                Seriously, I’m already a chaos magnet, telling me beware or wishing me luck? That’s just BEGGING for something to happen to me. Further, it’s a grocery store on a Sunday afternoon. SO many families. With children. *twitch*
                You know you're just encouraging us all to wish you luck and beware, right? >.>

I'm sorry you have to go through all this Lupo, but at least you have a spine to say what's right, unlike so many others.

Comment

Heh. It's not dirt I worry about with fruit. It's...other things (shudders).

TWICE in my town, at two different stores (although part of the same chain), people found a black widow spider in bags of grapes. LIVE black widow spiders.

I didn't buy bagged grapes for two years.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Heh. It's not dirt I worry about with fruit. It's...other things (shudders).

TWICE in my town, at two different stores (although part of the same chain), people found a black widow spider in bags of grapes. LIVE black widow spiders.

I didn't buy bagged grapes for two years.
                    On the positive side, at least you know they weren't loaded down with pesticides!

At the risk of traumatizing Mooncat further, another store our chain found a squashed spider stuck to a bunch of bananas that was about three inches across. They put it on display in the back shop and called it Charlie. That doesn't happen often though. ( Finding huge dead spiders, not giving them silly names. I imagine if we found more big dead spiders they'd all get silly names. Flat Stanley maybe? )

Comment

Quoth ferebee View Post
                      I imagine if we found more big dead spiders they'd all get silly names. Flat Stanley maybe? )
                      Toss it in front of the front doors and call it Matt?
                      Hang it on the wall and name it Art?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        OK, anybody else want Gravekeeper and Lupo to go shopping together to see what happens?
                        Only if I get to come along and hold the video camera.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth ferebee View Post
                          On the positive side, at least you know they weren't loaded down with pesticides!

At the risk of traumatizing Mooncat further, another store our chain found a squashed spider stuck to a bunch of bananas that was about three inches across. They put it on display in the back shop and called it Charlie. That doesn't happen often though. ( Finding huge dead spiders, not giving them silly names. I imagine if we found more big dead spiders they'd all get silly names. Flat Stanley maybe? )
                          Banana spiders...I've heard of these. My mother worked at a supermarket when she was in her teens. The folks that worked in the back room unpacking the fruit had to watch out because occasionally, one of these beauties got into the crates and got shipped to the U.S. along with the 'nanas. Only they weren't usually squashed.

See, they had to watch out for SC's and 8-legged monstrosities!!
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Lupo should take a camera with her to the grocery store to get pictures and video of these thieves to tell the customer service desk... But then, I'd be evil enough to do that, knowing if I drew those kinds of people around me

I'll keep that in mind when I buy fruits and veggies from now on...
                            Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Banana spiders...
                              A beautiful bunch of bright banana
                              Daylight come, and we wan' go home...
                              Hide the deadly black tarantula
                              Wow, man, don't sing about spiders...
                              Ooo, I don't dig spiders...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh, my damn, the insects that would come in with the produce.

Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X