This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!"

This gem I got second hand from my mother.

My mom goes to a deli run by a Korean family for her lunch when working. In the deli everyday is the couple and their son who, while I don't think he was born in the US, grew up in NYC and is pretty much American.

So, a while ago my mother was in there getting coffee and an irate asshole walks in. He asked SOME stupid question, to which the son started giving the answer to until he was interrupted with "SEE! I KNOW YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!" then stormed out, with both my mother and the son just staring at each other.

The Son: ...What was that about?
    My Mom: I have no idea...

Then they laughed for a good long time.
    6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew it was going to be good . . .

There's no point in trying to make sense of people like this. It'll only give you a headache.

I just have to marvel at the idea of somebody freaking out and accusing a person of not being an American just because the person is Asian . . .

. . . in NEW YORK, of all places!

Last edited by Anthony K. S.; 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM.
    “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
    “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
    “I don’t know.”
    “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

And this is in MANHATTAN. If it was one of the other boroughs, it would make some sort of sense, as Brooklyn is chock full of that kind of stupid, but Manhattan? I feel so disillusioned...

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Comment

Now, now. Let us not be nasty about Brooklyn. The borough probably has the most diverse population in the city. At least it seems that way in my neighborhood.

A jerk like that in the original post would have been laughed right out of the shop.
        Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
          Now, now. Let us not be nasty about Brooklyn. The borough probably has the most diverse population in the city. At least it seems that way in my neighborhood.

A jerk like that in the original post would have been laughed right out of the shop.
          Trust me, I loves my Brooklyn, and the area i used to live in was wonderful. Now, I live in a Black neighborhood where everyone give my mom the "She stole one of our men" look and I'm more then a little peeved.

Comment

Because not being American is the worst thing ever. Closed minded idiots.

I once had someone tell me an anecdote about his daughter going on trips "around the world" with the grandparents. He then proceeded to list off a lot of locations in America.
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
              Because not being American is the worst thing ever. Closed minded idiots.

I once had someone tell me an anecdote about his daughter going on trips "around the world" with the grandparents. He then proceeded to list off a lot of locations in America.
              Funniest thing being that while the parents were American Citizen Koreans, the son is TOTALLY American.

You know, I'll admit, every state has a different culture, much like how in NYC, every neighborhood is dramatically different.

However, I don't consider walking around Manhattan as "traveling a lot," and would never consider traveling around the US as "going around the world."

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
                I just have to marvel at the idea of somebody freaking out and accusing a person of not being an American just because the person is Asian . . .
                My former co-worker, J, (the same idiot who didn't want women in the workplace) did that constantly. He was constantly going on about how Asians were not Americans...never mind that quite a few were born here
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Pixagi View Post
                  So, a while ago my mother was in there getting coffee and an irate asshole walks in. He asked SOME stupid question, to which the son started giving the answer to until he was interrupted with "SEE! I KNOW YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!" then stormed out, with both my mother and the son just staring at each other.
                  I don't suppose you know what the question was, do you? Because if it's not about the country, this comment is on the verge of... You don't want to know.

Either way, the comment was racist and uncalled for.
                  MMO Addicts group

Comment

THEY TOOK OUR JERBS~!

Comment

I'm hoping drugs was the cause of this. Because if not, then I've been absolutely right about the world all this time, and I don't want to be right in this case.

Comment

Quoth Pixagi View Post
                        And this is in MANHATTAN. If it was one of the other boroughs, it would make some sort of sense, as Brooklyn is chock full of that kind of stupid, but Manhattan? I feel so disillusioned...
                        I see that kind of stupid in Salt Lake all the time... seems we only have 2 extremes, the closed minded bigots and the people who may be a bit too accepting of everything (you know the type, the oh, you want to marry your 16 year old cousin, I don't agree with it but who am I to judge you... ok, there are some places your mind is closed to). Makes for interesting sightings though...
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          THEY TOOK OUR JERBS~!
                          Bwaaaahhahaha!!!!
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

(wish I could do that voice from South Park ... but, in the tradition of South Parkian repetition)

THEY TOOK OUR JAHBS!
                            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              He was constantly going on about how Asians were not Americans...never mind that quite a few were born here.
                              I have seen that directed at many non-Caucasians before, and even been subjected to it myself, on multiple occasions.

I have actually had people tell me I am not American, due to my Jewish heritage, and that I should go back to Israel to be with my people.

This actually amuses me, as my ancestors all came to this country between the years of 1882-1901. My family has been here almost 130 years, but I am not American. Apparently I am Israeli. Never mind that Israel did not exist as a country until 1948, 66 years after my family began arriving here. I was born in New Jersey. My parents were born in New York and New Jersey. Three of my four grandparents were born in New York or New Jersey. My family has been in this country longer than airplanes, cars, basketball--not to mention the States of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska, and Hawaii.

And yet still these racist bigoted small-minded assholes think it's perfectly logical to tell me, a fourth-generation American, that I am not an American at all, and that I should move "back" to a country I have never set foot in. But I guess that's why we call them small-minded....they can't possibly wrap their little minds around the larger picture. Like that my family's been here more than half the life of the country.

Idiots.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X