This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spooky Scary Favorites

Over on my author page I started counting down to Halloween by showcasing one of my favorite horror authors every day. What stuff has genuinely scared you? Books, movies, urban legends, whatever. What has kept you up far past your bedtime, afraid to turn off the light?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

There's a good selection of creepy things kids have said-l think it's Reddit.
    My favourite..
    'So l put my son to bed and said goodnight to him. He replied Goodbye Daddy.l told him 'Aw,at night we say goodnight,son.'
    He replied 'Not tonight..tonight we say goodbye. That night l slept with one eye always watching what that little sod was doing....'
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Margaret St. Clair "The Shadow People 1969".

Had to move out of a rented house because the basement was too evocative of this novel to my wife.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Precisely because my brain is the kind of bastard to let scary stuff simmer and come back to haunt me in my dreams, I don't tend to watch a lot of scary movies or play scary games. That said, I don't seem to have a problem watching Let's Plays of the games, and Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, although I tend to favor his less-horror-esque stuff.

Strangely, also, I used to like watching some of the Slenderman-inspired web series, like Marble Hornets, Everyman Hybrid, etc.

Other short form horror stuff from YouTube that I've watched and have enjoyed includes No Through Road and There Are Monsters. Just unnerving enough and mysterious enough to appeal to me.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

For me it's the US adaption of "The Ring".

I watched it when it came out in the cinema one Saturday night. Found it quite fun (if creepy), went home, went to bed.

Now, back then I had an old portable telly on a bracket on the wall of my bedroom (glass screen, wire aerial, real old-school). I have no idea why, but for some reason I woke up in the middle of the night. I looked up, and the f@%$ing screen was glowing. I yanked the plug, threw a blanket over it, and didn't sleep again all night. The next day the telly came down and got taken to the tip. I have never had a telly in my bedroom since.

Yes, I know it was only static. You try telling yourself that at death o'clock in the morning after watching The Ring.

Another thing that genuinely scared me was the first "Weeping Angels" episode of Doctor Who. Later episodes diluted it a lot, but that first episode had my skin crawling and my heart racing.

Another Doctor Who episode that creeped me out, although not to the same extent, was "The Lonely Child". "Are you my mummy?" *shudders* What kept it from being truly scary was the ending; "For once, Rose, everybody lives!"
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Finally someone else that got weirded out by the weeping angels. Gah! So hope they don't come back. Give me more Daleks. Exterminate! Exterminate!

The movie Dark City creeped me out. It's not exactly scary, just very disturbing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/?ref_=nv_sr_2 I think part of it is because I have massive holes in my memory from depression and from what we now know as disassociating frequently and occasionally for days at a time. The thought of something outside myself wiping memories is horrifying.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              I looked up, and the f@%$ing screen was glowing. I yanked the plug, threw a blanket over it, and didn't sleep again all night.
              Heh. I know a guy in Louisiana, who watched the US version of "The Ring" like the day before Katrina hit the state. All that he ended up losing was power for a few days.

But imagine it-- you're puttering around in your darkened house, doing what you can without power. Then suddenly the TV pops on blasting static.

He about sh*t a brick.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Another thing that genuinely scared me was the first "Weeping Angels" episode of Doctor Who.
                Weeping Angel figures would make awesome Halloween decorations for one's yard.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Do you know Shaenon Garrity's Horror Every Day blog?

Comment

Did you all know there is a new third Ring movie out? It's called Rings and it's updated to make the video a digital file, and it's pretty good. I found it looking to see what Lizzie Brocheré (a french actress) had been up to lately.

On another note my favorite films are Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. They don't scare me but I love them both.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Just realized I hadn't answered this myself. Adam Nevill's novel Last Days had me giving the side eye to shadows on the wall for a long time after I read it. And Alien never fails to make me jump. The Haunting is one of the creepiest things I ever saw (the original, thanks very much!).

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        Did you all know there is a new third Ring movie out? It's called Rings and it's updated to make the video a digital file, and it's pretty good.
                        A similar update happened in the recent Jumanji movie. The board game from the earlier movie became a video game.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Some Native American legends can be quite creepy. All due respect to indigenous people, some of that stuff makes me want to sleep with the lights on.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I thoroughly recommend the stories of M R James. A writer who knows how to tell you just enough so that your imagination (which is what knows how to frighten you best) supplies the rest.

('A view from a hill' 'A warning to the curious' 'Count Magnus' and 'Oh whistle and I'll come to you, my lad' are a few of my favourites)
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I love him! Saki and Sheridan LeFanu too.

Comment

Working...
                              X