This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Drax's line in Avengers: Infinity War, "I'll do you one better: WHY is Gamora?!" was ad-libbed by actor Dave Bautista.
    Funnily enough that actually worked with the scene if you think about it closely .

I also recall with the first Guardians of the Galaxy that the bit with Star-Lord flipping off the prison guards was ad-libbed by Chris Pratt (as was the bit where he dropped the orb - that was unintentional, but he stayed in character the entire time)

Few other fun bits n bobs from other movies:

- The children in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory did not get to see the Chocolate Room until the scene where they walk in for the first time, so those reactions are genuine.

- When filming Fight Club, Helena Bonham-Carter had no idea about the actual context of the line "I haven't been f*cked like that since grade school," entailed. She wasn't happy to hear that "grade school" actually meant "primary school."

- During THAT chest waxing scene from The 40-Year-Old virgin, the entire thing was improvised with the only instructions from the director being "scream, swear, cuss." They actually kept lists of the clean and not-so-clean dialogue so they could mix and match when needed. Steve Carell also nearly lost a nipple in said scene because the woman playing the waxer didn't realise you were meant to put oil on it.

- That voice crack of Rupert Grint in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when he says "Why spiders, why not follow the butterflies?" wasn't intentional - because both Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint's voices were breaking at that time, the director managed to effectively weaponise it.

- John Ratzenberger improvised the little ditty his character sings in Spirited Away. (This bit, for the curious - the character he's singing about is a spirit who basically plays off everyone's greed at first because he's lonely, but eventually learns that he doesn't need to give people gold to be accepted)

- Likewise, Patrick Warburton improvised the little tune that Kronk is humming/singing when he's dropping off the "dead" Kuzco-llama in Emperor's New Groove. Disney promptly had him sign away all rights to said tune so they could use it

Comment

In "The Fifth Element", the "hero", Korben Dallas, and the villain, Zorg, never meet.
      (But really, Leeloo's the hero of the film.)

Milla Jovovich's hair had to constantly be re-dyed to keep the bright orange color, resulting in her hair falling out in the middle of filming. The rest of the film, she wears a wig.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

I heard that Al Pacino wanted to be in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross because he knew Alec Baldwin was going to be in it, but they never had a scene together.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh recorded all their dialogue for "The Road to El Dorado" alongside each other in the recording booth (at the time, the practice was to do each person one at a time I believe?). Apparently there was a point when their characters were sword fighting, so they opted to actually fight with plastic swords while voicing that scene (I believe it's the beginning scene)

Comment

In the original (1969) Italian Job, a crew member got killed during one of the 'practice' scenes. He got clocked upside the head with a brick, when the Mini drives through the wall. Also, the part of Coco, was played by Michael Caine's brother, Stanley. Noel Coward (aka Mr. Bridger) was the director's godfather.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The 1995 Power Rangers film was shot entirely in Sydney and the monorail that's shown in the film actually existed at the time (that is, it wasn't greenscreened in or a prop). Sadly, it's no longer there, but some of the stations still remain (which stick out like a sore thumb )

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                The 1995 Power Rangers film was shot entirely in Sydney and the monorail that's shown in the film actually existed at the time (that is, it wasn't greenscreened in or a prop). Sadly, it's no longer there, but some of the stations still remain (which stick out like a sore thumb )
                Monorail!
                Monorail!
                Monorail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Monorail!
                  Monorail!
                  Monorail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM
                  Why yes, we have that joke in Australia too mjr

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                    Why yes, we have that joke in Australia too mjr
                    *modsnip*
                    That's actually pretty funny!
                    Last edited by EricKei; 10-27-2018, 04:17 AM. Reason: snipped pic

Comment

Another "Did you know?"

The movie "The Wizard of Oz" is the reason most evil witches are green.

Comment

Movies -- and the occasional misinterpretation thereof -- are also (at least part of) why most people refer to that big, green, lurching piecemeal monstrosity as "Frankenstein," when he's actually (Dr. Viktor) Frankenstein's Monster -- or, if you prefer, "Adam." He's also well-read and reasonably well-spoken in the book.

Speaking of Oz -- the magical slippers are silver in the books, but ruby in the movie.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Movies -- and the occasional misinterpretation thereof -- are also (at least part of) why most people refer to that big, green, lurching piecemeal monstrosity as "Frankenstein," when he's actually (Dr. Viktor) Frankenstein's Monster -- or, if you prefer, "Adam." He's also well-read and reasonably well-spoken in the book.
                          I actually have that book here at home. I haven't read it yet, though. But my understanding is that Frankenstein's Monster in the book isn't actually green.

Speaking of Oz -- the magical slippers are silver in the books, but ruby in the movie.
                          True. My guess is that red showed up better on camera than silver would in color in the late 1930's.

Comment

In the book, he's not; fair point. I am unsure if he's physically distinct from actual humans aside from all the (presumed) seams/stitches from being pieced together. I do recall that the doc wasn't so pleased upon Adam's creation, though. IIRC, once he realized that he (Viktor) had basically committed a crime against the man upstairs, he did exactly what one would expect, and blamed the Creature for the fact that it was alive, and tried to kill and/or expel it. Been a few years.

Fun side note -- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (Percy Bysse Shelley's better half) started on the book as the eventual result of a literal (hah!) gathering of fellow authors telling scary stories around a fire
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In 1985, film producers Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, owners of Cannon Films, bought the film rights for Marvel Comics' Spider-Man.

They didn't know who Spider-Man was.

Golan wrote a 'pre-film treatment' where Peter Parker was kidnapped by a deranged scientist and turned into a hairy, suicidal eight-armed spider-monster that fought against the scientist's other monsters.

Stan Lee pushed them to change the story to be more like the comic.

After several years, script re-writes, director changes and a couple of photos with a stunt man in a Spidey suit, Cannon Films lost the rights in 1990.
                              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                                That's actually pretty funny!
                                It gets better - they're expanding the Light Rail in Sydney at the moment. Part of the new Light Rail route happens to run along the former monorail route. So while "Main Street" isn't quite cracked and broken, it's being dug up to be.

(You can also occasionally still see the old ads and turnstiles for some of the monorail stations when you walk past them as well, especially if they were built into a building)

Quoth mjr View Post
                                True. My guess is that red showed up better on camera than silver would in color in the late 1930's.
                                My understanding was that it was to take advantage of the color technology at the time.

My fact: the costumes that the four main geishas wore in Memoirs of a Geisha were essentially foreshadowing their characters in a way. Pumpkin's style reflected her desperation to succeed, Hatsumomo's style reflected her loose morals and tendency to go "screw tradition," Mameha's style was simple and elegant, while Sayuri's style was very much the same but more reflective of her age.

Comment

Working...
                                X