Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most common coin confusion here in Australia would have to be the NZ 20c Coin and the Australian 20c coin. Easy to get rid of them, just put them with your change to a bank that doesn't count every single exact coin.. Most vending machines don't seem to take them anymore, sadly. Only other times we generally get exotic currency has been when we get a US Dime for a 5c Piece.. which has actually happened a few times lately, interestingly enough.
    - Boochan

Comment

We rarely get any fun money. The occasional old Canadian penny stuffed in with the US coins. No fun.

I really hate the quarter program. Makes getting change from customers take twice as long, while they go through their coinage..."oh, wait, I'm saving Iowa"
      "Oh shoot, Billy NEEDS California"... Drives me batty.

The Dollar coins won't be too big of a deal, because the only time we ever get them are when people have gotten change as the post office--and want to get rid of them as fast as humanly possible.

(Explain the bright folks that thought--"hey, we've had Washington on our quarters for a long assed time.. I KNOW! We'll make a new dollar, with presidents on them...and and... we'll make them roughly the same size as the 25 cent coins... No one will confuse them ...never!")
      you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

On the $2 bills: I read once, quite some time ago, that when Boy Scouts would go on trips where they got allowances, the allowances would be paid out all in $2 bills so that the Scouts could find out later, what sorts of things the kids were spending money on.

Other than that, recycling places often have a very large number of $2 bills on hand (ar at least they used to), and it was for basic tracking purposes.

Yeah, I take $2 out of circulation, too.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's funny... my bank (credit union) will still give me $2 dollar bills if I ask for them. I can also get the Gold "dead presidents" dollars too. I don't know how you can mix up a gold dollar coin that is thicker and slightly larger than a quarter with a silver (it's the nickel plating) washington quarter (states back not withstanding).

What I would like to have is a silver certificate $2 bill. They look different than the newer $2 bills and actually say on the front "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America two dollars in silver payable to the bearer on demand." and have the blue seal of the treasury dept. of the US.

I'd also love (even more) to buy some of the original yellowback or greenback gold certificates. Sweet!!

Wikipedia has some good photos of slver certificates and gold certificates.
          Last edited by Brightglaive; 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM.
          You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

I get customers who mix up change frequently.

The new dollars with quarters. The Louis can Clark nickels...with quarters (I'd like to play...oh, what a dumbass customer, but I've done it too. I know they are a different size and weight, but somehow, they are alike..)
            Dirty dimes with pennies...

All sorts of shit.

I have to admit, when I got the new five...last week, I couldn't help but think "Wtf is this...it's PURPLE!"
            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Where I work, we deal with weird moneys all the time.

We do referrals to a local dinner show, and they pay our commissions in $2 increments. When I go to spend them, I get everything from "This isn't real", to "These are lucky, why are you spending them?" Yes, they're real, and when you have $200 of them, they become unlucky because they haven't bought me anything.

We also do foreign currency exchange at my location, so I see a lot of different kinds. My favorites so far are Australia (that clear mark is just too cool looking) and Swiss Franc (they're so colorful!).

The first time we got a new $5 in, I thought it was fake. I called my co-worker over and just held it up. Luckily, he had just seen a news bulletin about it, so he knew it was real. The big purple 5 on that back was really what threw me. It just looks like someone spilled purple kool-aid on it, the edges of the purple spot are darker, just like a spill would be.

Comment

My thought on the new five was "wow... that's a real light purple". How light? The bill changers that won't take the colored tens or twenties without an upgrade took these ones just fine.

Comment

Heh, the money's roughly the one thing I like about Australia. All the notes are different colours and sizes. The 20c and 50c coins are a little big, though.

Comment

I've gotten a few silver quarters--and one Mercury dime!--in my change before.

The new fives and tens are weird (I don't like all the new bills). Is the color supposed to look like antiquing or something? First thing mom thought of when she saw them is "did someone at the mint spill a thermos of tea in the printing press?" I have an old 10 and 20 in my wallet--used to have one of the 5s, but I spent it by mistake.

Quoth BusBus View Post
                    Although, I really wish we could get rid of pennies. Yuck.
                    I so wish the US would get rid of pennies as well (and don't try to make them the same size as the Euro one-cent coins either!) At the game store we have a bucket of candy at the register, one piece of gum or 2 pieces of hard candy for 25 cents. Kid bought one piece of hard candy...told me to "keep the change" (that must have been fun for whoever was closing the drawer at night...over by a half a cent). We had a pair of heavy-duty shears and I was prepared to cut a penny in half.

We're finding a lot of old currency in my grandfather's stuff (what mom is having me do is take the valuable stuff before her brother gets his stupid mitts on it). Half dollars, Morgan dollars, a US twenty-cent piece (which I never knew existed), copper slugs...yesterday I found a $1 silver certificate signed by President Truman. Not mint condition in a regular cheap frame, we plan to put it frame and all (don't want to touch the actual bill if at all possible) into a UV-blocking frame to prevent further damage.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Ninja Chocobo View Post
                      Heh, the money's roughly the one thing I like about Australia. All the notes are different colours and sizes. The 20c and 50c coins are a little big, though.
                      As someone who has to deal with coin (and bill) operated machinery, I prefer having uniform sizes. The machines have enough issues without needing to have multiple bill paths for different sizes.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        Oh, I buy two dollar US bills too...anyone got any they want to trade me for a couple ones? :P
                        Any $2 bills I get, I keep.

Not that I get any nowadays, but still...
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                        X