This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday Debriefing Thread 2010

Well, here you go. Where are you working, when are you working, what kinds of asshattery did people throw at you, blah blah blah.

And if you don't work retail but want to leave those of us who do well wishes...you can do that here too.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

My most heartfelt sympathies to those of y'all who have to deal with the insanity,I remember it all too well.

Non carborundam illegimati

fake Latin for "Don't let the bastards grind you down"
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I just saw that "New Navy" is opening at midnight tonight?! That must suck for the employees. I really can't imagine caring enough about cheap clothes to go shopping at that hour
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

In the UK we don't have a 'black friday' type event - however anyone who is working it in the US has my sympathies, by the sounds of it it's to be avoided more than ebola.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

/off topic
          Mnemjian. love Jane, your avie

/on topic
          Good luck to all of you who have to brave the hoards over the pond
          Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

The store where I work is open the usual hours, and I will be coming in at my usual time of 5 PM to work until close... Ex Bitch told me it'll probably be mostly cleaning up from today's rush of customers. I'll be running UScan as normal, and that should keep me busy...
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I won't be partaking in the 5 AM insanity this year. I instead chose to use the money to buy brakes for my truck. Before that appointment though, I will stop by our local non-Mart-of-Walls supercenter-affiliate to buy 1/2 -off socks. Gotta stock up for the year.

My sympathies for those who do have to be up working the insanity.
              Last edited by Sonoma; 11-25-2010, 05:22 PM. Reason: Hit 'enter' too soon
              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I have no doubt that I'll have lots to add to this thread tomorrow.

I'm working at the Big Red Circles of Hell from 3:45am to 12:15pm as a CASHIER (WTH was the managers thinking putting ME as a cashier when I haven't done a cashier shift in 2 to 3 YEARS??? I only work weekends and I don't even know the latest software upgrades from the past year?!?!?)

Then I'm working at my Bank from 1pm-6:15+pm

Yes thats working from 3:45am to 6:15pm...

Oh and Saturday isn't much better, 9am-2:15ish pm at the bank then 3:15pm - 11pm and the Bullseye/Big Red Circles of Hell.

I'm not allowed to strangle the customers or co-workers right? *sighs*

Comment

Here's another story from my piano & organ selling days:

We had a really popular organ model & had a special on 'em for the holidays.So the day before Xmas,the mall's packed & we're movin' these organs like free beer at a bar.

We're down to our last one in stock & I demonstrate it to a guy with his family.I tell him they're flyin' out the door & this is the last one,so if he wants it he'd better at least put a deposit on it,I can always refund it later.

"Oh no" he says "You'll have it later"

So what happens an hour later? He comes by & the last one at that price is sold.

"Why are you out????"
                  "I told you this was our last one"
                  "I just thought you were tryin' to make a sale!"
                  "I was,but I was bein' honest when I told you we only had 1 left at that price"
                  "I wanna see your manager!!!"

Who told the SC the same thing,he stomped away,the store manager was a good guy,he backed me 100%.
                  "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I wish all of you working the very best.

I already apologized to a CSR because I was placing an order online, but the discount wasn't showing up so I called in. I do feel bad that she was working today.

And, mea culpa, I am probably going to be at the toy store and a department store to do most of my shopping on Friday morning. That toy store is opening at 10 pm tonight. That blows.

The McDonald near my home is supposed to be open today from 6:00 am to 4 pm. Bummer.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Well, tomorrow I'm going to work my normal hours at the office - not retail and not in the US, mark you - and then I'm going to help a colleague set up his model railway for an exhibition.

He runs it by computer control, and has written software that gives him a lot of flexibility in how he sets it up, so for every exhibition he has a new layout to match whatever table space he's given. In this case it's a big table since another major layout was unable to attend, so the extra pair of hands will be appreciated given the few hours available for setting up.

Comment

My deepest sympathies for those of you who have to work. May the SC's and EW's stay home for a change (yeah, that'll happen!).

Public Works is closed today. However, the town will be be picking up both today's and Friday's trash tomorrow (regular time + holiday pay for a double day, hardly worth it; I understand they had trouble getting volunteers.). In addition they're going to be running one truck to pick up leaves. I was asked to volunteer for that and said "no" as the head of that department had deeply insulted me less than an hour earlier; a word he'd better get used to hearing each and every time he asks me for a favor from now on.

Comment

Hotels typically don't have to deal with the Black Friday madness, but I wish you all the best of luck. I'll be sleeping all day to get ready for my graveyard shift tomorrow.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

This year will be my first on the salesfloor at the Bullseye, I was previously overseeing the front end/guest service on Black Fridays. So this year I'll be overseeing predominately Electronics and Small Appliance, but also domestics, home storage, and home decor. So I get 2 of the 3 busiest areas, thank goodness I'm no where near toys at least

I'm in at 3:45, so I'm sure lots of stories will ensue tomorrow!

Comment

I am working today, a 5 hour shift and tomorrow, 6 hour shift. Both afternoon ones, thank you Lord.

Since we're having the Super Mega Ultimate Stupendous Lowest Prices Of The Season Sale (inspired by Irv :P) I couldn't have wormed my way out of it if I tried. Oh well.

But I did end up with quite the gem that got me onto the comic strip, so I hopefully will have another one this year, that would be quite nice.
                              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X