This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycling vs Running

Ok, I want to start getting in better cardiovascular shape.

I'm not a runner, though. I never really have been. Though when I played sports in school we did sprints, but I consider sprints different from running (i.e. jogging). Sprints, to me, are more High Intensity Training.

Right now, a mile is a LONG way for me to run, but I think I could probably bike a mile or two in comparison.

I'm just wondering about the effectiveness of biking vs running. It won't be one of those "I'm gonna bike over terrain" things. I'm considering getting a bike, and "making the loop" (my neighborhood sits relatively close to a lake. I figure if I bike around the lake, it's probably close to 2.5 miles).

So I understand, too, that ANY cardio is good cardio, but what are the pros and cons of biking vs running, and is one just as effective (or more effective) than the other?

I wouldn't need a custom built bike or anything. I'd probably just buy one locally and ride it.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

They work similar muscles but in vastly different ways. If you've got bad knees, you'll want to stick with biking for less pressure on the knees. Biking provides a bit more resistance training options, particularly if you get a speed bike.

However, running can give a few more options. You can add weight for resistance, do speed training (sprints and Fartleks), or just go for an endurance/distance run. And it costs less up front usually (my current running shoes run $150 so YMMV).

So part of what you need to figure out is which you prefer and what you have the funds for.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I think bicycling might be better for me. It'll help me get in better cardio shape, and it'll help lose weight (right??).

It looks like I can pick up a lower-end 21-speed mountain bike for under $150.

Though I'm not sure what all the speeds are for. ;-)

Comment

Cardio is a good start to weight loss, but endurance workouts need to be paired with high intensity interval training to be most effective. And adding in weights eventually will do even more.

Speeds on a bike are the resistance the gears are going to give you. So you want less when going uphill but more for down. When I'm training on flat ground, I like to play with the resistance to give my legs more of a workout.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          Cardio is a good start to weight loss, but endurance workouts need to be paired with high intensity interval training to be most effective. And adding in weights eventually will do even more.
          I think I want to start with the endurance, and work in the HIT stuff after I'm in better shape. I do want to get into weight training as well, but I think to start it'll be the biking. I have a weight workout I want to do, already, I just need to get the equipment.

If I biked daily, say between 1 and 3 miles, what kind of results could I expect over what time frame? If I were to speak strictly about losing weight, I could probably stand to lose about 30 pounds. Overall, though, if I lose fat and gain muscle, I understand my weight loss won't be as much. I'm more concerned with "trimming the fat" and improving my endurance than anything else at this point.

Comment

If you're going to run, try a couch to 5k program. It'll build in the high intensity workouts so you can get into the rhythm of varied workouts.

I'm a running fan, mostly because it ensures a full-body workout, not just lower-body. Yes, it's high-impact, but unless you already have joint problems, it shouldn't be a problem- a number of current studies actually show a major benefit for runners' joints.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
              If you're going to run, try a couch to 5k program. It'll build in the high intensity workouts so you can get into the rhythm of varied workouts.

I'm a running fan, mostly because it ensures a full-body workout, not just lower-body. Yes, it's high-impact, but unless you already have joint problems, it shouldn't be a problem- a number of current studies actually show a major benefit for runners' joints.
              WRT the running...yes, I've also heard that it's good for joints. I also have lower back issues that I don't think running will help. I'm not sure how running would affect my back.

Are there "couch to 5k" programs you could recommend?

Has anyone also heard anything about this DDP Yoga thing I've heard about?

I'm at least going to look into some things. I have to get some weights to use, too.

Comment

Start simple and work your way up.

Try power walking. It's free, and not high impact like running. If you haven't worked out in awhile, it's a great place to start. You can add weights later if you like.

Once you've built up some endurance you can try adding a bike, but look at your terrain first. If you have lots of hills, be prepared to tire quickly. Flat terrain is better at first until you get used to biking, then you can add in the hills later.

Reminds me; time to dig out my bike and start up again myself. I don't bike in the winter (brr!).
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

When i weighed 330lbs, almost any exercise hurt my knees. Stationary bike was the answer for me. As Sapphire pointed out, walking is good exercise and you have to start somewhere.

Whether it is cycling, running or walking, go out for five minutes, turn around and come back. It does not sound like much, but that was all I could do at one point. As you feel that you can do it , add a minute. It won't be long before you can do 30+ minutes.

As you gain endurance, you will need to start looking at upper body workouts. I recently took up cardio kick boxing, Makes the 30 minute stationary bike workouts look like child's play, and I can now do three push-ups.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Lifelong bicyclist checking in.*

Okay, first of all, I'm clearly biased towards bikes, but that being said, I will try to explain the benefits of the bike, as well as the downside.

The benefit of bicycling vs running is less jarring impact on the joints, especially the knees. It is great for cardio and endurance, depending on how fast you ride. It is a great way to get around, and depending on where you live, you can actually use it as a way to commute to work, rather than driving or using mass transit. If you're wondering about this, let me know a bit more about your situation/area, and I'll advise as I can. Even if it seems like you don't live in an area where commuting on your bike would work for you, chances are it can.

Another benefit of biking is you can get further, meaning you can see more than you could with running. Not just leaving from your home, but in general. You're able to cover more distance with the same amount of effort than you would if you were running. So you could see more of your area, perhaps even parts you weren't fully aware of.

A 21-speed is a good all-around bike, and a mountain bike is good for when you come into less than idea terrain, as it won't cause your bike as much issue as it would a road bike. (I own both kinds.) You are going to want to use some of those gears, for the higher the gear, the harder you work, and the better workout you get. Going up hills, you are going to want to downshift a bit so you can get up that hill, though not too much, or you won't really get much of a workout. After time, you'll figure out what gears are best for you, but don't get too comfortable with those gears, because as you get in better shape and more adept at biking, you'll be able to move up in gears more easily, and will actually need higher gears (higher resistance) to get your workout. Added benefit: you'll get to go faster, which is always fun on a bike! Especially downhill, which is the payoff for all that work getting up a hill; going down the other side, it's a blast to upshift and fly down it!

Things that are absolutely required: good tires and good brakes. If you're buying a new bike, the tires should be new. If you're buying a used bike, and the tires aren't in great shape, it's worth it to replace them with new ones, because if you don't, you are more likely to get a flat when out and about, and that can be a royal pain in the ass. As for the brakes, if you can't stop quickly in a panic stop, you're toast. Also, if you're new to biking, you should know that you need to use BOTH brakes, front and rear. Your front brake provides most of your stopping power, but your rear brake is necessary for you to not go flipping over your front wheel. And in panic stops, you need all the braking power at your disposal.

Things that are suggested: Comfy seat, helmet, and gloves. The seat can be as comfy or hard as you're comfortable with. Just remember, your ass will be on it for most of your time on the bike, so you've got to be cool with how hard it is, and if it's too hard, get something cushier. Your ass will be sore no matter what, but how sore is up to you. The helmet is suggested because one of the downsides of bicycling is crashing. No one intends to crash, but if you ride, you'll crash. It's inevitable. The more used to the bike you get, the more you'll know how to avoid most crashes, but sometimes, there are just factors beyond your control, like unseen ice, unseen pot holes, random animals jumping out of nowhere, other bicyclists who are idiots, and drivers who either don't see you, don't give a shit about your well-being, or both. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Cab Driver on 33rd Street!) Also, if you ever do any organized bike rides/races/events, helmets are always required. Gloves are great for warm or cold weather, to keep a good grip on the handlebars even if you're sweating, to keep your hands warm when it's cold out, and for wiping sweat off your brow with the back of your hand. Yes, most gloves are designed for that last part as well. Most gloves are fingerless, though there are full-fingered gloves as well. I only use full-fingered gloves due to personal preference, which gets me some odd looks here in Florida and back home in Arizona, but I don't care, because that is what I am most comfortable with. (I made the switch 20 years ago, after years of riding with fingerless gloves.) Also, gloves can be very important when it comes to the aforementioned crashes. Because once you know you're going down, the best thing you can do is get your hands out from the handlebars and out in front of you, to absorb much of the impact. Doing that enabled me to walk away from a bad downhill crash in Phoenix with scraped gloves, a bruised knee, and a bent pedal; not doing it resulted in me breaking my jaw in my teens.

So, the downside of bicycling, besides crashing, is idiot motorists, bad weather, and bicycle maintenance, which is not free. But you can usually find a good bike shop with good prices if you look around a bit.

Finally, let's talk bike locks. If your bike is only ever going to be in your home, in your locked vehicle, or under your ass, you probably won't need a bike lock. If, however, you plan on leaving it anywhere unattended, you need a good bike lock. And when I say good, my rule is that the lock should always be better than the bike. Crappy bike=decent lock. Decent bike=good lock. Good bike=great lock. Great bike? There's no lock made that I would trust with a great bike. I have three bikes, two of them great. Those two don't have locks, as they are always under my ass or in my home--period. The reason the lock should always be better than the bike is to deter bike thieves, and make them go looking for easier prey. Also, if your bike is at all worth a damn, don't buy a cable lock or a chain lock, as those are barely better than no lock at all. Any decent bike thief could get through either in seconds. I myself could get through either in a couple minutes. A nice sturdy U-lock of some sort is best. If unsure what to get, talk to your local bike shop, and listen to their recommendation. They may try sell you the most expensive lock, but they will still tell you the benefits of each one. At least the honest bike shops will.

Keep in mind that bicycling is great for cardio, endurance, and lower body work, but won't do much for your upper body. I'm not talking about weight loss here, but upper body strength building and toning. So for your current needs, it seems to be that a bicycle would be great.

Let me know if you have any bicycle-related questions. Been two-wheeling it for almost 40 years now, and can't think of a more enjoyable form of exercise in the world. But as I said, I'm biased.

*Full Disclosure: I current own two road bikes and a mountain bike, and of late, have been neglecting them. The road bikes because I've been lazy, and need to stop doing that, and the road bike because I can't get the damn lock to un-lock. Gonna need to saw through it or something, because the bike shop failed to get it off as well. They say they've never had this much problems before. *sigh*

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, to reply to some of your comments:

Is there an "equivalent" as far as distance goes? In other words, biking X miles equals running Y miles? I ask because as I said earlier, I would probably have an extremely difficult time running (jogging) a mile, but I think I could probably ride a mile on a bike more easily.

My area is somewhat small (a town of about 20,000 or so). I live about 30 miles or so outside of a major metro area. I don't know if biking to work would be practical for me, due to distance and there's no real way for me to park/lock up the bike in/near the building where I work. Not to mention lugging my laptop to work most days.

Right now, "making the circuit" around my neighborhood is almost a mile. But I live close to a small lake, and "making the circuit" around the lake would probably be close to 2.5 or 3 miles (I haven't actually clocked it). One part of that "big" circuit is relatively flat (with a couple of small hills), and the "return" part of the circuit has a pretty big hill (which means I may ride that direction so I can get a workout going up the hill, I'll have to ponder...).

I'd probably really just be riding on the street, and would rarely (if ever) go "off road terrain" with it.

Of course, This would be for cardio, and you're correct in that I'd have to find something to build upper body strength.

I also have a jump rope at home I could use if the weather is where I can't ride.

And when I'm not riding, I'd generally just keep the bike in my garage.

I honestly wouldn't be riding in a group or competitively. Not really my thing. This is mainly for me to get some cardio work in, and to get myself in better shape.

I'm planning on buying a 100# weight set, so I can work on my toning and strength training, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X