This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go?!

All right, so my friend Shortie just invited me to her baby shower. She's giving birth to her second child in September. She actually due in October, but I think she's getting a C-section.

Anyway we were pretty great friends growing up, but in our senior year she moved away, so I didn't see her much. See whenever she was in town she would hang out with Hunt. See Hunt and I used to be really close friends, like really close. But around the beginning of tenth grade she decided she hated me. Like to the point if she saw me outside of school she would try to kick me ass, or try to get someone else to kick my ass. So I ended up avoiding places she was, which meant not really seeing most of my friends from that group outside of school. We still all ate lunch together, but I got major hate vibes from Hunt.

Anyway right after my first year of university Shortie got married, and I didn't get invited. It really stung, but I shrugged it off. We didn't talk for a few years, but last spring she got a hold of me. Apparently, the person who was supposed to deliver my wedding invite never gave it to me. I don't know if that's true, but I decided to take her at face value. We've talked a bit since, and she went clubbing with me on my 22nd birthday.

Anyway, she has a 4 year old son, and as I said, is expecting her second child in September. Today I got an invitation from her, to her baby shower. I was so excited that I RSVPed on facebook right away. After I confirmed I was going I noticed that Hunt is one of the two hostesses of this event.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I mean, we graduated from high school in 2006 so surely by now Hunt has gotten over whatever problem she thought she had with me. On the other hand, she dropped by a mutual friend's house once when I was hanging out, and everyone decided it would be best if I stayed inside while they went to talk to her outside. This was only last August where this event happened.

So I don't know what to do. I really want to be there for Shortie and support her during such a miraculous time, but on the other hand I really don't want drama. Especially drama that could ruin Shortie's big day. Or get me injured. So what should I do?
    Last edited by hinakiba777; 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

First of all, I've always heard that you don't have a baby shower for children beyond your first, unless there's been a considerable amount of time between the two births (although I guess four years might be enough...).

If you don't want to go, don't go. She doesn't sound like she's a close friend anymore, and you don't want a run-in with the she-bitch. If you want to send a gift, you could mail it to her or offer to take her out for tea or something (or visit and help out post-birth). You can still be involved without going to the shower.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Hmm, since you already RSVPed, I'd either 'find' a feasible excuse as to why you won't be able to make it, or go ahead and show up anyways, also with a reason why you won't be able to stay long. I mean hey, things come up Me, I'm the type to avoid baby showers no matter how well I like the person.
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I'm going to come at this from a different angle. She's a bully. The whole goal behind bullying somebody is to get a reaction. Hunt has done a damn good job at it. While at highschool, you rearranged your schedule to avoid her. After highschool, when nothing from HS honestly matters, she still has a grip on your psyche.
        She controls you in any setting where you are together. I say go there, to fuck with her, and if she tries to start shit, tell her what you think of her. Or just break her nose.
        Take your life back and stop letting her step all over you.

Comment

Not to mention if she actually did injure you, at your ages it's assault, punishable by law.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If this girl is one of the hostesses, I would hope she wouldn't try to start something and ruin her friend's party. I say go if you want, avoid her and talk to the people you actually like, and if things get uncomfortable, make your excuses and leave.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I agree with TowelKing. Go with an excuse to leave early. If things are tense then use your excuse to go. If things are cool stay and have fun. At worst she's going to be a bitch to you. If she actually touches you have her thrown in jail.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                So what should I do?
                You should do what you want to do. Fuck Hunt.

If you don't want to go, don't. It sounds like you do, so if you do want to, then go. Fuck Hunt.

This is SHORTIE'S day. Not Hunt's. Fuck Hunt.

So go, have fun, be there for Shortie in your born-again friendship. If Hunt, at thsi point in her life, is still acting like a high schooler, fuck her.

Seriously, fuck this girl. Stop letting her get in your head and control what you do. You do what YOU want to do, not what you think you should or shouldn't do because of this immature fucking cunt rag.

And if she starts any shit with her, do what she apparently can't do...act like an adult. Tell her that you are there for Shortie, it's her day, and if Hunt has any issues with you, they're HER issues, and should not interfere on Shortie's day.

If the bitch actually takes a swing at you (talk about immature), just punch her right in the nose, drop her to the floor, than very calmly, very politely, apologize to Shortie for the dramatics, excuse yourself, and leave. Stepping over Hunt's prone body as you go.

Seriously, fuck this Douchebag in a Dress. Go, have fun, and FUCK HUNT.

It's time for you to enjoy your life for you, and not let idiot bully snot-nosed fuckups decide what you are going to do. Step up, stand up, and take your place with the grownups. And don't ever look back. Not for Hunt, and not for anyone else.

Fuck her. Or did I say that already?

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                First of all, I've always heard that you don't have a baby shower for children beyond your first...
                I've never heard any such thing. Though of course, I have been to a grand total of one baby shower, so I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Or the last. But yeah, never heard of this.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm going to agree with those who say to go. I wouldn't let someone who was a complete bitch to you in high school control what you do. It does sound like you want to really go and I think you should. Why let someone like that girl prevent you from going? As someone else said, if she is a hostess then I would hope that she wouldn't start shit at her friend's party. Besides you are all adults now, I would hope that Hunt would have grown up a bit since high school.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I've never heard any such thing. Though of course, I have been to a grand total of one baby shower, so I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Or the last. But yeah, never heard of this.
                    The general idea is that you get all of you major baby stuff (stroller, car seat, crib, clothes, bottles, toys, etc.) the first time around, so a shower for the second child is seen as unnecessary and/or a money grab. That's the official 'etiquette', at any rate.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Okay, yeah, I could see that. But four years later, it is entirely possible that all the baby stuff she had she has given away to other mothers, especially if this second child was not planned. Which would make the second shower perfectly appropriate.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. You're right. This isn't about how the hell Hunt might feel about me, it's about Shortie and her new baby. I am going to be there for Shortie during this important moment, especially as I missed the other ones.

So I will go. I'll be supportive of Shortie. I'll do my best to be cordial to Hunt, and if she's a bitch I'll ignore her and just concentrate on Shortie. We are all adults and should be able to celebrate something like this without one person being a bitch.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate all the great advice!
                        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Fuck Hunt.
                          Quoted for truth and because it makes me giggle.

This is about you being there for a friend, and I'm glad you decided to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X