This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good moment.

So, last Friday I'm at my friend, G's house, as usual. We drink, we watch Top Shot or people doing stupid things on Tosh.0 or Wipeout, and generally have a fun time. I'm usually last to leave, cause I live two streets over.

Now, G & E, whose house it is, just have a kiddle back in November. Never wanted anything to do with kids myself before Little G showed up, but now I do. And since G & E basically adopted me as family after I moved here from Ireland, I'm Uncle Mark. Which is beyond awesome.

Little G was baptized a couple of weeks ago, at the behest of G's mom, who is a churchgoer. Of course I go along (only to find it was the two hour Easter Mass, which was... painful for someone who hasn't been in a Church in 15 years. Neither here nor there, but some bad luck, I think).

Anyway, as I'm the last to leave, and we're sitting down having another drink, he tells me that being Godfather of the kid came down to me, and an old, old friend of his, W. I'm flattered enough that I was even in that two, as G knows a lot of people. I assume that it's because W is religious, whereas I'm not - after all, the Godfather is supposed to ensure spiritual health, I think? That and make Corleone jokes.

But then G lets me know that the reason they chose W is because he would be one of the two responsible for raising the kid after, and while he's grateful that I'd be involved in Little G's life, because I'm fixed (neither the wife nor I want kids), they went with W instead.

Just the fact that he thought that much of me, and of what I would want in a situation like that was enough to get me choked up, and remind me why the guy is a friend and a brother to me.

Of course, after such a nice, heartwarming moment, I then went and spent the rest of my weekend in bed, as my Diverticulosis decided to flare up and cripple me for a couple of days.

For every action there's an equal and opposite, right?
Working...
X