This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVR Adventures

The Wonderful GF and I have finally decided to get a PVR so we wouldn't have to keep tracking down shows we miss online ect. After discussing this with a few people we've decided to rent the PVR rather then buy it outright.

Since TWGF has no patience for The Big Red telecom provider ( I'm sure fellow canadians here understand) I was voluntold to call the Big Red call center and inquire about rental costs and try to arrange for a discount if possible.

Here's what happened so far:

Call 1 -- I get bounced around from agent to agent because no one seems to know which department I need to speak with.

After being transferred for the 4th time, I am informed that their systems are currently receiving an update and asked to call again in 2 hours.

After hanging up I wait about 20 minutes and call again ( I don't really believe the update story)

Call 2 -- This time I get directly to an agent in the sales department! Excellent! after a moment of chit chat, I explain that I'm interested in renting a PVR. Immediately the agent tells me that renting is a bad idea. He goes on to explain how much money I would save by buying one at Costco and how Big Red's rental prices are too high. He won't even let me think about renting one, says that it would be foolish not to buy a PVR from a 3rd party.

Realizing I'm not going to get anywhere with this guy I thank him for his advice and hang up.

I'm going to try again after I get something to eat I'll keep you all posted

Call 3 -- Waited on hold for 20 minutes. When the agent answered I had to wait another 10 minutes for her to boot up and log into her computer. After explaining what I was looking for, The agent looks up the price list and tells me that thr rental cost would be $24.95 over and above my current cable package. All my research (including the last agent I spoke to) has told me that this is incorrect! The price should $24.95 ( rental + package) I politely point this out to her but she's insists that she is right.

My next call will be directly to the retention group!

Comment

FWIW... you can probably find a good deal on Kijiji.

When we bought our PVR (I got tired of missing Doctor Who due to school! ) it took me less than a month to replace the puny 160GB hard drive with a 500GB one.... it is just so very convenient to tell the PVR to capture favourite shows regardless of when they are on. I do end up erasing most of them... but every so often there is an episode I haven't yet seen that is on at some weird hour in the morning, and the PVR snags it for me!
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

PVR?
        Here the states = DVR (Digital Video Recorder) cable goes through it, also set up to record tvshows whenever you state.

same thing?
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

** I fully realized that from this point on I may have crossed over into SC territory I'll take my lashes for that ***

Call 4 -- Got through after a few minutes on hold, not bad. I explain to the agent what I'm looking for Here's pretty much how it went from there

Me: So can you tell me what the rental cost would be ?
          agent: sure.......lets see......it would be .......may I put you on hold?
          Me: go ahead

*on hold for 10 minutes!**

agent: Hi again....sorry I don't know where the price list is
          Me: so you can't tell me how much the rental cost is ? (WTF)
          agent: I'm not sure no sorry
          Me; get me to your supervisor please
          agent ok hold on........*hold music* silence ... I look on my phone Call Ended she hung up on me!!!

Now im pissed !!!!

Call 5 - I immediately ask to be transferred to the customer retention team. I explain everything I've been through since call 1. Honestly I dont care about a discount anymore I just want someone there to know how ridiculous this situation has been!

The agent ( who was great!) asked if she could put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back she apologized for everything that happened, said that she personally called the retail outlet near me and had them put a PVR aside for me, and is rebating the rental costs for the next 3 months.!!!!

so after 4 hours 5 calls and several dead brain cells the ordeal is over

If you actually read this bless your hearts is it to early to have a drink? lol

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
            PVR?
            Here the states = DVR (Digital Video Recorder) cable goes through it, also set up to record tvshows whenever you state.

same thing?

yep same thing!

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
              The agent ( who was great!) asked if she could put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back she apologized for everything that happened, said that she personally called the retail outlet near me and had them put a PVR aside for me, and is rebating the rental costs for the next 3 months.!!!!

so after 4 hours 5 calls and several dead brain cells the ordeal is over

If you actually read this bless your hearts is it to early to have a drink? lol
              Sounds pretty typical of the support from that outfit. I swear it's got to be intentional... telecom version of "good cop / bad cop".

And, yeah, I make sure I have some nice frosty wobbly pops on hand before dealing with them!
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
                The Wonderful GF and I have finally decided to get a PVR so we wouldn't have to keep tracking down shows we miss online ect. After discussing this with a few people we've decided to rent the PVR rather then buy it outright.

Since TWGF has no patience for The Big Red telecom provider ( I'm sure fellow canadians here understand) I was voluntold to call the Big Red call center and inquire about rental costs and try to arrange for a discount if possible.
                Are you aware that in British slang, "to (TBRTP's name without the trailing "S")" someone means "to sodomize" them (with the implication that it's done extremely roughly)? I'm sure that's no coincidence.

I've got my cellphone through them, on the "a minute is a minute, no matter where in North America I'm calling from, or to" plan, but every time I cross the border they send me a @#$%^& text message saying I can save by buying packages of U.S. minutes so I don't need to pay the roaming rate - but with my plan I don't pay roaming. Their service line says I can't get those texts stopped without cutting off all incoming texts.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X