Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone said that oranges and spices like cinnamon and cloves go good together, so we decided to make spiced orangeade tonight.

2 1/4 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (6 naval oranges)
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 small lemons)
    5 cups boiling water, divided
    2 cups sugar
    8 tablespoons chai tea leaves

Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 2 cups of sugar and stir to dissolve, making simple syrup. Pour the remaining boiling water over the chai and allow to steep for 6 minutes. (don't let it steep much longer than this, or you'll burn the chai, and it will become very bitter.)
    Juice the oranges and lemons; strain to remove seeds and pulp. Combine juice, tea, and simple syrup and stir to combine. Add about half as much water as you have liquid. I'd recommend going easy on the water to start with; we added probably about 5-6 cups and I think it's a little too diluted. It still tastes good, but could be a bit stronger.

I don't like this quite as well as the mint lemonade but it was still good. We also just finished it so we only got to taste it while it was sort of luke warm, it'll probably be better tomorrow after it's chilled and the flavors have gotten a chance to blend a bit more.

Comment

It was me. I got the idea from Bigelow Constant Comment tea, which is black tea with orange rind and spices. (It doesn't say what kind, but you can tell there are cloves, unlike most orange spice teas). It makes the best iced tea I have had, and my friends request it for parties.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That does sound really good, Food Lady. Do you have a recipe for it, or do you just sort of wing it depending on how much you're making?

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
          That does sound really good, Food Lady. Do you have a recipe for it, or do you just sort of wing it depending on how much you're making?
          Here's the good--full-calorie--recipe I use when making it for other people. (For me I use a sugar/sweetener combo to cut calories and replace some of the good tea with less expensive regular tea. But for company I don't do that). Bring half a gallon of water to boil and pour over 8 Constant Comment teabags in a pyrex pitcher or some other glass container. Do not brew in metal or plastic. Leave for at least half an hour. Remove teabags and add 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups sugar; stir to dissolve. Let cool to room temp. Add enough cold water to make a gallon. Refrigerate; keeps less than a week, so drink up.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
          X