This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Food

I know a lot of people here aren't in the best financial situation, so I wanted to mention Angel Food. They are a Christian ministry (stick with me) that sells boxes of food through local churches for cheap. You pay through the church and then pick up the food at the church. Some churches even let you pay online through the Angel Food site. The standard box is $31 and they say it has enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. Hubby and I can make a box last 2-3 weeks with a few additional groceries. I seem to remember a small "Jesus is Awesome" pamphlet in the box the last time we used Angel Food, but there wasn't one this month--the only religion was a "Merry Christmas" from the lady who carried the box to our car.

I'm looking at their site (angelfoodministries.com) and WOW!!

Thank you for the heads up.

Edit: I'm assuming they don't mind if we pay "a little extra"?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

They dint mind the extra. I know a couple people who put in orders for boxes cause what doesn't get picked up gets donated.

Comment

I always forget about these guys!

I gotta get with the program.

Comment

Big vote for these folks. My daughter knows a resourceful group of folks who come to the one she uses. (It's a fairly unpopulated area, and people travel quite a way to get food.) This particular group pools their orders, shares the driving so that they load up the back of a pickup with everybody's orders on each monthly trip, saving gas and wear and tear on vehicles. They also regularly donate their time to help the food folks pack up boxes and load others' cars while they're there.

Comment

Thanks much for sharing this.........kind of a shame that I'm not in the church office anymore, because this would have been a great resource to have used with "customers" who needed help.

Comment

My family's used AF before. You do get a lot of food for what you pay, though some of it isn't the greatest IMO (I'm talking processed stuff like fish sticks or chicken nugget patties, not filet mignon). Their desserts generally are pretty good.
              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

My wife and I order from Angel Food Ministries most every month. You get a lot of fairly decent food for a good price. I don't always care for some of the offerings, but they're still good enough to make the program worthwile. Best of all for me, it cuts down on time spent grocery shopping, which I generally hate.

When I was single and still living in my hometown, my parents had learned about Angel Food Ministries. I was living in my own place, but I chipped in with the parents to split orders since it is a lot of groceries for a good price.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Check out the SHARE program too, if it is in your area. The variety is great and you get lots of food for a decent price and anyone can get it no matter what your income level is. Just thought I would "share" this bit of information to those who need help with their food.

edit: well I just looked and the SHAREColorado closed..they serviced SD also but there are still some programs out there. I googled "Share food program". Hope that helps.
                  Last edited by jnd4rusty; 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

We used to get AF every month, but then my angel got a class change and became a Coupon Samurai.

They had some REALLY good stuff. I admit, I was really skeptical at first. But most of it is downright yummy. They had this off-brand Hamburger Helper Stroganoff. It was awesome, much tastier than the name brand.

That's right. We also stopped in part because they thought that our 3 year old (now 5) might have celiac disease, and he had to go on a Gluten-free diet for like 9 months before they ruled it out.

How do you tell a 3 year old they can't have chicken nuggets or pizza anymore (okay, you'll eventually figure it out, but it's not the same and kids aren't stupid)? With lots of ice cream, that's how...
                    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I never knew about this! I saw the thread title and thought, 'Cake!'.

But this is much better.

Comment

A little review bump here.

We signed up for it and I got my first delivery (well, pickup) this past Saturday. Other than a bit snafu at the distribution center (causing the food to be delivered 4 hours late - I'm not blaming anyone I had contact with) I have to say I was quite impressed.

For $115 I was able to stuff my freezer (to the point where I had to cook one of the lasagnas because it wouldn't fit).

I got a "Bit o Blessing", "Bountiful Blessing", and a "Pastor Joe's Premium Box". While it's not high end food it is a great variety and seems very healthy - lots of vegetables, healthy meats, some prepared foods (stir fry chicken / stir fry beef, etc.). I guess the really nice part about this is that we can afford to eat healthier now (as oppose to the cuisine of Boy Ar' Dee & Kraft Mac&Cheese). We just had our first meal with it (stir fry beef) and it wasn't bad.

Thank you again for sharing the link! If I can find a place that delivers a week earlier (we won't be around at the next delivery date where we went to) I'm sure I'll sign up next month - there's some great looking items for April!
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this....My GF and I are going to need a program like this when we're finally reunited. (Whenever that is lol)

Comment

My mom buys these for me every month, for about 6 months now. She always gets me the bountiful blessing. Mostly the stuff is good, I am not fond of a few things sometimes, but its a great help for hubby and I, and we will probably keep getting them after mom stops buying for us (if she ever does)
                            "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Another bump! Fiance and I picked up our first order this past weekend. We ordered the Bread of Life box and the After School fruit and veggie box (apples, carrot sticks, raisins, etc.) We had the meatloaf that night....wasn't super impressed, but it was okay. I think next time we get an order, I'm going to repackage all the frozen items right away; they seem to be really susceptible to freezer burn.

At any rate, tomorrow night I'm going to fix these hamburger patty, steak, things. They're made of hamburger meat, 8 oz./piece, but far too round for a hamburger patty. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to fix it. Reshape into proper hamburger patties? Cook as is with some mushrooms? For anyone who's gotten these before, what did you do?

Also, I think Thursday is going to be chicken nugget and waffle fries night and I'm pretty excited about it.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X