Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The above is one of the problems with the Ukraine, from a western viewpoint. The attitude to safety and the value of life is pretty uncompromising.

A few missing paving slabs over here would require a cordon of cones, some flashing lights, armed guards, and maybe some counsellors to hand in case you were traumatised by seeing it. Over there? Darwinism in action. Text while walking and break a leg.

Warning tape around construction blocking your way? Duck under it and continue - nobody really cares. Need to work on the electrics of a sign about twenty feet in the air? Stick a piece of wood under one leg of your ladder and go for it without any sort of protection from people banging into the ladder.

Broken down? The police will work out where best to park with flashing lights to protect you. Well, no, they'll park the other side so any oncoming traffic would hit the person working on the van before hitting them. Digging a hole in a busy road? Just leave your JCB in the way of oncoming traffic and hope it doesn't come back to fill the road too quickly - even if it's a sodding chasm you've just dug that could swallow a small tank. Warning cones are for other countries.

The building next to the one where Johnny and I shared an apartment had a fire escape that made us realise you wouldn't use it unless there really was a fire, and even then you'd consider it for a few minutes first as to the better option. That's when we realised we had no such luxury on our building.

The people have a very interesting attitude. Customer service levels still hearken back to the communist days when you were lucky to be able to get something, let alone afford it. It really is stuck between two eras.

Ah, but there was something missing from the place. We landed on Monday. It took until Thursday for us to see anyone we could consider to be of less than average looks, or significantly more than average weight. We saw no children barring the occasional school group on an outing, no pregnant women, nobody of skin colour other than caucasian (apart from another tourist), and it was a bit Stepford Wifey at this point. There was nobody who didn't look good in their clothes.

That was bizarre. Now, there's the whole biological imperative going on whereby people from a different genetic pool look more attractive as they're going to give resulting children a broader genetic inheritance, but the wierd thing is that the women especially (probably the men as well) looked bloody great in clothes that in the UK would have denoted the bearer as a being of loose and sluttish nature. They carried off skimpy and figure-hugging clothing with grace and style, rather than just doing it for attention. For those of the group with an eye for such things, there was eye candy galore, and there would have been for any ladies present as well I dare say.

Enough for now. I'll try and think on for what I missed.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, as I said earlier, eastern Ukraine (including Kiev) is still very Russian. And Russia is, for better or worse, not a great place for western travelers. Western Ukraine, like Lviv, isn't so bad. My friends who have spent summers there actually quite enjoyed it.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=d3888eb599 for some photos.

I mostly went for those that I could caption amusingly and the faces of the chums I went with are on there as well. One potentially disturbing shot from the Chernobyl museum. I have more to post, but in short the place is mostly pretty attractive.

Rapscallion

Comment

Sounds like you had a helluva good time overall.

Got any more stories to share from Kiev?
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yes. Yes indeed.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              Yes. Yes indeed.
              You tease.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Four guys hanging around in one apartment can lead to usage of certain facilities. As they say in some circles, shit happens. As do complaints.

However, this quickly lead on to a realisation that as we'd all played Quake many times in the past, and there were exactly four of us, we were able to cry out "Quad damage!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQjATp0-a8 for the uninitiated.

For the initiated, we also made many a cry of, "One frag left!"

We found it hilarious at the time.

Wandering around Kiev using a google phone for GPS locations for eating establishments etc resulted in cries of, "There's movement all over the place!" and "That can't be right, that's inside the door!"

Good time. Lunaticly good times.

We visited the Chernobyl museum in Kiev via the auspices of the google-equipped phone and paid a visit. It's quite a sobering exhibit, but it brought home just how the place is rooted in its communist past. You want to enter? That's a ticket. You want to take a camera in? Two more tickets of the same sort.

What?

Audio guide in your preferred language? Another half dozen tickets that are all the same.

For a fist full of tickets, for a few tickets more... That's when you go ten feet or so and hand over the bunch of tickets to another member of staff who has to inspect them and then rip off the small stub attached to let you go past. There's no attempt at streamlining.

The Chernobyl museum is the main reason we decided not to contact one of the tour companies to go around the real thing. We'd seen enough, really. It would have meant some good photos in Pripyat, but that's all. The exhibit isn't that big, but it has quite a bit of information - mostly about the sacrifices made in trying to contain the disaster.

May be more later.

Rapscallion

Comment

Good stuff Raps ,travel documentaries are fine,but it's always more interesting to hear from regular people who've made the trip.Kinda reminded me of Heinlein's travels in the former USSR.

nobody of skin colour other than caucasian
                  Certainly not unusual in some parts of the world,my state is barely 2% African American.

"There's movement all over the place!" and "That can't be right, that's inside the door!"
                  "Nuke it from orbit,it's the only way to be sure"
                  "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                    "Nuke it from orbit,it's the only way to be sure"
                    Heh, they nuked it from ground level, actually...

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X