This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
    Maybe they think that next NYE will fall on a different date. Same applies to people who wait until Christmas Eve to hunt down that year's Turboman.
    Here's one for them - Thanksgiving will be on a Thursday this year. What do you think about that?
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
      Here's one for them - Thanksgiving will be on a Thursday this year. What do you think about that?
      Why the heck would they change it for this year? It's always been a Monday (not sure of the formula, but I believe it's the 2nd Monday in October).
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Why the heck would they change it for this year? It's always been a Monday (not sure of the formula, but I believe it's the 2nd Monday in October).
        I also believe that Canadians and Americans have different Thanksgiving dates.

Of course, being from the Land Down Under, I could be wrong on this
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          I also believe that Canadians and Americans have different Thanksgiving dates.

Of course, being from the Land Down Under, I could be wrong on this
          You're correct. Canadians do observe Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October, while USians settled on the fourth Thursday of November.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            You're correct. Canadians do observe Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October, while USians settled on the fourth Thursday of November.
            I have one thing to say to this:
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

And that is a good thing

Quoth Seanette View Post
              Each Thanksgiving has a major traffic jam at the border crossings as people go to visit family.

Can you imagine if BOTH countries shared all the same holidays?

Christmas and New Year's is bad enough.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                Each Thanksgiving has a major traffic jam at the border crossings as people go to visit family.
                So the families that are in both countries get two feast days, while those that don't only get one.

I'd be jealous, but I don't need all those extra calories.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Who says you can't just decide to pick a date to have a nice feast, even if the calendar doesn't think it's a holiday?
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    So the families that are in both countries get two feast days, while those that don't only get one.
                    Pretty much. I have friends with dual citizenship, and while they don't necessarily do it every year, they have used it as an excuse to do two Thanksgivings before.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      Pretty much. I have friends with dual citizenship, and while they don't necessarily do it every year, they have used it as an excuse to do two Thanksgivings before.
                      You don't need dual citizenship to have multiple Thanksgivings.

My sister and her boyfriend had three this year. They had "Friendsgiving" on Wednesday, Thanksgiving with his family on the day, and Thanksgiving with our family on Friday.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        You don't need dual citizenship to have multiple Thanksgivings.

My sister and her boyfriend had three this year. They had "Friendsgiving" on Wednesday, Thanksgiving with his family on the day, and Thanksgiving with our family on Friday.
                        We did that for Christmas this year with my family.

Christmas Day I stayed home and cooked for me, Mom and Brother. Friday evening after work Brother and I went to our Dad's where our stepmom had cooked a big Christmas dinner.

Reason she (my stepmom) decided to do all her cooking on Friday was b/c her elder daughter and family (middle Sis, aka Mud) weren't able to come down from VA until Friday (Mud is a RN and currently with Hospice in the Richmond area) for the weekend.

I think we counted 15 at the house that Christmas: Mud, BIL, their 5 kids (ages 17, 14, 10, 4 and almost 2) Dad, Stepmom, me, Brother, Stepmom's younger brother, Stepmom's Dad and Dingbat (my baby sis, aka the Nanny.)

Plenty of food, drink (Angry Orchard is some good stuff, BTW) a few rounds of Charades and a good game of Big Bang Theory trivial pursuit (and I've never even watched the show but Mud and BIL twisted my arm)

Good time was had by all.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          We did that for Christmas this year with my family.

Christmas Day I stayed home and cooked for me, Mom and Brother. Friday evening after work Brother and I went to our Dad's where our stepmom had cooked a big Christmas dinner.
                          Yeah, we played Scattergories with Sis and Boyfriend (well, Dad didn't play; he's not a fan of that game) and had fun. Next year, we'll probably end up playing Fibbage or Drawful since I've bought the Jackbox Games pack for my Xbone.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                          X