Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, with bonus gender-bending!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted before about the woman who wanted her daughter's name to be similar to Regina, but with it's own difference. She gave her daughter a name that rhymed with it: Vagina.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
      I've posted before about the woman who wanted her daughter's name to be similar to Regina, but with it's own difference. She gave her daughter a name that rhymed with it: Vagina.
      Makes sense. There are plenty of men out there called Dick.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkC-R4XVjc

Comment

Worst one I've heard of if the mother who called her daughter la-Li.

When the nurse asked for "laa lee" she threw a tantrum, telling everyone who would listen the name was pronounced "la dash lee"
          How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

If this is the same Elongated Hexagon Inn that I think it is (where I also now work) you can summon security by picking up any phone, pressing 0 and saying help, or (I think) just putting the phoned down on the counter.

Also, call the cops if a verbal threat is made. Period. Use the landline phone and they can trace it. Go to a locked office if you don't feel safe. You never know when some hothead is going to snap.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
              If this is the same Elongated Hexagon Inn that I think it is (where I also now work) you can summon security by picking up any phone, pressing 0 and saying help, or (I think) just putting the phoned down on the counter.

Also, call the cops if a verbal threat is made. Period. Use the landline phone and they can trace it. Go to a locked office if you don't feel safe. You never know when some hothead is going to snap.
              Not at my Elongated Hexagon, you can't. I use my cell phone or the radio to summon security, who comes in an hour before my shift starts, and leaves an hour before it ends. In that last hour, it's just me, the breakfast attendant, and anyone from housekeeping who's in early.

As for the grumpy old man, he was just that: old. A decrepit old pile with mercenary fantasies. I could have easily outrun him or barring that, kicked out one of his wobbly old legs beneath him and sent him down to break his dentures on the floor. He can go to hell, and as old as he was, there's a good chance he's already there.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                After 1/3 of every female born in the 1970s was named "Jennifer," parents went a little overboard trying to give their kids unique names
                Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was born in 1973. And I was one of SIX Jennifers in my third-grade class (of 25!) At least I had a unique last initial. Three of the Jennifers had last names beginning with S.

Comment

Jennifer was the number 1 name for girls in the 1970s.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                    Oscar Wilde, who had his own issues, had a son named Vyvyan, and Lindsay Buckingham and Carroll O'Connor probably had some stories to tell, as well.
                    I don't consider Carroll a girl only name. At least, to me, it does SOUND like one in my head. Lindsay doesn't either, although it does a tad more than Carroll.

Comment

Somewhere on a another thread here I think I told the story of a friend of my sister's...

The woman worked in a hospital and claimed that a new mother tried to name her newborn daughter "Chlamydia" because she'd heard the word and thought it was pretty. Telling her what it really was did not dissuade her, so they told her it was illegal to name your kid after diseases and she finally picked something else.

I really don't know if that was a true story. I kind of hope not.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Completely off the original topic, but relevent to the names discussion...

My sister works in a NICU (neonatal icu). She says it's a little terrifying, the number of times she's had to say "Nevaeh? What a lovely name! How did you come up with it?"

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                          ...My sister works in a NICU (neonatal icu). She says it's a little terrifying, the number of times she's had to say "Nevaeh? What a lovely name! How did you come up with it?"
                          Dynamite in the Scrabbleâ„¢ game. It's written in my heart.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                            I heard this in my 8th grade science class repeatedly:

Teacher: "Okay, BPFH, Gretchen, whose paper is this?"

My handwriting has not improved since then, and a work assignment like this wouldn't give me much incentive...
                            Heh I once flustered a teacher bad enough that they insisted all homework and tests be done orally.
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                              Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was born in 1973.
                              Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was born in 1977 and there was three Jennifer's in my year at school My sister got the unique name as we were unexpected twins
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                                Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was born in 1977 and there was three Jennifer's in my year at school My sister got the unique name as we were unexpected twins
                                My BFF's name is Jennifer and she was born in 1982 . . . she had quite a few other Jennifers in her classes, too. Every time I hear the song "27 Jennifers" I think of her.

Me, OTOH, was born back in 1969 and my first name was not a usual name for a girl (let's just say it could be gender neutral depending on spelling)

My middle name is the one I go by . . . and I think every girl born in the late 60's/early 70's had the same middle name I do. Yet I didn't have the trouble of going through /w anyone else using that name b/c most of them were using their first names.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X