This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dollar Admiral, full of suckiness all around

Today's round of suckiness is sponsored by customers, vendors AND corporate. Let's get to the action shall we?

Happy 'Make up your own parking space day!'

The way our lot is designed, we have a rectangle facing out from our store. There's 2 handicapped spaces and 5 regular spots right in front of the store, spots along the side of the lot and parking in the middle. The front corner is not parking because you would get trapped in between the handicapped space and the first side space.

Usually once a week there's some numbskull who parks in the corner (usually it's either an elderly man or a douchebag in a giant pick up truck) and then it never fails, someone comes along and uses the handicapped space and now illegal parker is trapped in.

This happened the other day to college frat boy douchebag. He starts throwing a hissy fit because he can't get out and I refuse to demand the elderly lady parked in the handicapped space move her car so he can get out. So he stomps out the store and goes and sits in his pick up to wait. Dbag waited quite a while because the elderly woman was a 'browser' and spent at least another 30 minutes in the store. I felt a giant twinge of satisfaction knowing frat boy had to wait and he didn't dare come back inside because I told him I would call the cops and have him ticketed for illegal parking.

Where's the baby food?

My store doesn't carry baby food, some Dollar Admiral's do but mine doesn't. 99.9% of people who ask for baby food and when told we don't carry it, accept it and move on. Lady yesterday kept looking at me like I was stupid.

SC - Excuse me, where's the baby cereal?

Me - I'm sorry, we don't carry any kind of baby food

SC - NO, I mean the flakes, the stuff in a box from Gerber!

Me - Yes I know, we don't carry anything of that nature.

SC - NO, I'm not taking about baby food, I want baby CEREAL!

Me - Ma'am, we don't have any baby food, formula, cereal or juice.

SC - Are you SURE? You don't keep any in the back?

Me - Nope, nothing, zip, zilch, nada!

SC - *shakes head and walks away with her 5 screaming kids*

Our sales are increasing, what don't you get about that?

Every Tuesday we get our Milk delivery. For years this was never a problem because my store did real low volume. But ever since last may when Kinfolk Dollar closed down the street, my store has done a 20-50% sales increase EVERY WEEK. I took over as store manager on 5/24 and on that day, the store was DOWN 3% in sales from last year. With one week to go in the fiscal year, my store is now UP 23% in sales from last year.

Ok Tangent aside, when our milk driver delivers on Tuesdays, he totally fills up the cooler but lately, it's been happening a lot where we get really low by Sunday and sometimes run out. Numerous times I've requested a twice a week delivery and even our delivery driver thinks it. But the Dairy vendor doesn't seem to get it. They keep dragging their feet about it.

You're running a great business, so let's slash your payroll some more!

A new fiscal year is upon us, you'd think hours would start picking up again right? WRONG! As I've said, my store has done giant increases in business. I could have closed my store on January 4th and kept it closed until January 30th and STILL qualified for the maximum sales bonus.

Anyways, first week of February, there's a LOT of work that's gotta get done that week, Lawn and Garden season starts, Easter merchandise is coming in and gotta get set, and my true 'favorite' is the Clipstrip reset . The August clipstrip reset is easy but the February one requires moving all the clipstrip fixtures around which is a long task in itself.

So with all that work to do, you'd think Corporate would compensate me with enough hours right? BZZZZZ, in fact they slashed me even more. That week my budget is 112 hours. Thankfully my DM has told me to go ahead and schedule 130 that week and he'll find out from Corporate what the hell is going on and why I haven't been compensated with more hours because of the increase in business. I'll be lucky if I only have to work 60 hours that week

Quoth drjonah View Post
    I felt a giant twinge of satisfaction knowing frat boy had to wait and he didn't dare come back inside because I told him I would call the cops and have him ticketed for illegal parking.
    A more perfect example of karma would be difficult to find! The only thing better would be to come out and check on him, laughing in his face!

Quoth drjonah View Post
    Numerous times I've requested a twice a week delivery and even our delivery driver thinks it. But the Dairy vendor doesn't seem to get it. They keep dragging their feet about it.
    This is extra sales for the Dairy Vender, why would they not want to comply?

Quoth drjonah View Post
    So with all that work to do, you'd think Corporate would compensate me with enough hours right? BZZZZZ, in fact they slashed me even more. That week my budget is 112 hours. Thankfully my DM has told me to go ahead and schedule 130 that week and he'll find out from Corporate what the hell is going on and why I haven't been compensated with more hours because of the increase in business. I'll be lucky if I only have to work 60 hours that week
    Corporate "thinking" at it's worst. I'm glad your DM has his head out of his behind at least...

Comment

So, I am taking a guess your store is actually open 80 hrs a week give or take and they are giving you 112 hours? So that is basically 2 full times, one morning, 1 evening and a swing person to cover the days off but barely?? Yeah, that makes perfect sense! I never understand the suits that sit in their ivory towers thinking of ways to 'save' money that actually hurts because lack of employees= pissed off customers due to no help and long wait times at registers.

I feel your pain because we just got our budgets for the year and once again our department has no more hours but yet our workload increases constantly and because we have time limits on tasks (and they are tracked) we keep falling behind..and God forbid there is overtime because the department is getting wiped out with whatever funk is going around and the remaining healthy ones are trying to accomplish all duties.

Comment

Ok Tangent aside, when our milk driver delivers on Tuesdays, he totally fills up the cooler but lately, it's been happening a lot where we get really low by Sunday and sometimes run out. Numerous times I've requested a twice a week delivery and even our delivery driver thinks it. But the Dairy vendor doesn't seem to get it. They keep dragging their feet about it.
        Does Dollar Admiral have a DSD Escalation protocol that can be utilized for instances where you are either not getting enough service or bad service (ie not enough products/not checking dates regularly/excessive credits that have not been removed from store, et al) from a vendor?

Reason why I ask is that those kind of requests typically have to go through Corporate, and the right person in the corporate office has to contact someone with that vendor company's corporate to get that worked out.

I'd love to request extra deliveries but if I'm not able to work out an extra delivery with a company via the account manager/sales rep, then I have to log into the computer and utilize the Escalation Process to send the request up the Litter Box Corporate chain of command to get results.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm guessing the OP's time either doesn't count towards the Payroll, or only counts for 40, no matter how far over he goes; especially if he's on salary (meaning, he only gets paid for 40). No idea why Corporate is lowering payroll hours, tho.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            This is extra sales for the Dairy Vender, why would they not want to comply?
            They don't realize that it's a more or less permanent new state of affairs - they can't get it through their heads that it's not going to change back unless something else opens up. Also, being a discount store, they probably want to try to avoid the second delivery, as rolling that delivery truck costs money.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Heh. Typical with that first one.

"I parked illegally, inadvertently blocking myself in in the process, gotta go in there and give the workers a piece of my mind for something that is totally my own fault!"

Comment

SC - NO, I'm not taking about baby food, I want baby CEREAL!
                Because they don't eat it, they just play with it....?? Seriously how stupid is that? It's still FOOD!

SC - Are you SURE? You don't keep any in the back?
                Right, because the best way to sell something is to keep it hidden somewhere and not admit to having it.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X