This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth tamezin View Post
    There is a reason for that, Vanilla is one of the strongest and most concentrated flavorings evah. Think about it, 1 tsp is enough to flavor 2 batches of cookies, a gallon of ice cream or a sheet cake. (we could go on and on) I have never heard of ID being checked for it though.
    Hmmmm. I have yet to see anyone carded for vanilla extract, food dye, or knives here. I got a fairly large bottle of vanilla at Sam's a while back and wasn't asked.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Never got carded for any of those, but once got carded for a freaking bicycle pump.

Yep. You read that right.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        Never got carded for any of those, but once got carded for a freaking bicycle pump.

Yep. You read that right.
        bicycle pump? O_O

They're cracking down in Australia I think because of the government's crackdown on alcohol and someone's actually died from drinking vanilla essence. I'll scan the article when I can dig the magazine out of my locker.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I haven't seen the age prompt at Walmart for knives, vanilla, or food coloring, but some other things have made me giggle. White-out, superglue, certain spraypaint cans (but not others), something fuel-related (injector?).... Usually when I would get these at my register, I'd jokingly ask the customer if they were over 18. Twice, I've actually had to refuse sales because the customer wasn't over 18 (both times, they were a few months shy of it). Go figure. At least both times the customer was understanding and agreed with me that it was just a wee bit dumb. But it was a fireable offense.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            Leaving them in the car

STOP TELLING ME THIS! Seriously, whyyy do I keep hearing this from people? I really don't care if you have bags or not. If you do, just toss them over. If you don't, I don't care. I'll use plastic. I don't care if you left them in the car, at home, they were chewed up by your neighbour's penis-sized dog or whatever, but stop telling me this. Please.
            If I had a dollar for every time I heard this, I wouldn't need a job for a while.

I just tell (in my sympathetic) the customers that it seems to happen a lot.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth lightmylamb View Post
              Where I'm from, people aren't. There are so many thefts of mouthwash for drinking. They used to steal rubbing alcohol so frequently we had to lock it behind the counter. So, yeah, you might die, but at least you'll die drinking.
              And Minty Fresh!
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Let's see if I can remember what Target carded for...

- steak/kitchen knives
                - lighters
                - M-rated games
                - cold medicine
                - nicotene patches/gum

I'm sure there were more, but those were the major ones I remember. I had one or two people get suspicious about me scanning their ID, but usally being humorous about "who knew steak knives were controlled stubstances?" and telling them it was only interested in the birthdate was enough.

The only time I wound up not selling something IDable was for an M-rated game that two young boys had. When I told their father it was an M-rated game and I'd need ID, he decided to get something with a more appropriate rating (much to the dismay of his sons). But he was about as non-sucky about it as you can get, finishing the transaction without a fuss before going to get a new game. He even offered to put the game back, but it was from a locked case so I told him not to worry about it.
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

What ticks me off is I can't get lye At All. I would *love* to be carded. The shipping on lye is justifiably obscene.

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
                    I do believe Aaron from the War Stories threads would beg to differ!
                    But the idiot in Aaron's story was drinking malt vinegar, not alcohol, under the (false) assumption that malt vinegar is similar to malt liquor.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      White-out, superglue, certain spraypaint cans (but not others), something fuel-related (injector?)....
                      That's thanks to "huffing".
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

ID checking

Not sure if it's state law or not, but yes, we do check ID for vanilla essences, as well as food colouring and knives. Knives are obvious (we only check for the larger knives, not the plastic or cutlery knives) and the reason why we check is because of the alcoholic content in vanilla essence. Don't believe me? A bottle of vanilla essence can have as much as 22 standard drinks in one little bottle. So if you're gonna get pissed, please, go get my manager. He'll support me for saving your life.

(As for why we don't check for mouthwash, which also has alcohol in it, some mouthwashes are now alcohol free and I think that the alcohol content in mouthwash is lower...but it's standard so )
                        There is an awful case from here in Australia from a few years back- the story always stuck in my head because the young man was around my age at the time, only fourteen or so, and his mother told her story just this week in one of my fave magazines.

He was at a party with friends and the MOTHER of the boy whose house they were at supplied them with vanilla (or possibly vodka? wtf? what would you use that for, stroganoff?) essence.

He drank far too much and didn't feel like going out with his friends, so they left him. Feeling seriously ill, he tried to stumble home but passed out in a field from alcohol poisoning. He died of hypothermia before the night was through.

His parents are campaigning to have these substances restricted, and to ban provision of alcohol to minors who are not your own children in your own home, as the mother was not actually criminally liable for her actions.

It is an awful story, so so sad. Those bottles are so tiny, can you imagine the few drops it would take to make you completely trashed, given the content you mentioned (which is consistent with the mother's account in the aforementioned article).

Comment

Leaving them in the car

STOP TELLING ME THIS! Seriously, whyyy do I keep hearing this from people? I really don't care if you have bags or not. If you do, just toss them over. If you don't, I don't care. I'll use plastic. I don't care if you left them in the car, at home, they were chewed up by your neighbour's penis-sized dog or whatever, but stop telling me this. Please.
                          Reminds me of the day that the supermarket I was was working at almost ran out of bags. One till was empty, and no other supplies were expected for the week, so we had to tell customers that we were low on bags, and could they possibly be careful with how many they were using please?

At least 90% of people said "Oh that's fine. I normally bring my reusable ones with me anyway, but I've left them at home/in the car/wedged behind great aunt Selma as a back support. In the months before, I could count on one hand the number of people who'd come through my till with reusable bags. Some people just say it because they don't want to look bad to anyone who might be listening.
                          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Working...
                          X