No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My coworker recovered from the virus but still wears a mask. She went to the grocery store and simply forgot one, as fallible human beings do. She planned to walk in with her face covered by her thick sweatshirt and get one at the service desk to wear in the store. Old woman 70+ accosted her and wouldn't even let her in the store. This was just another customer. It escalated and the woman committed assault and battery--rammed the cart into my coworker who wasn't hurt, but called the police who were totally unhelpful. Hurt or not, assault isn't OK. Couldn't find the woman by license plate so coworker can't press charges. The cop refused to.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• That's Aggravated Battery in most (or all?) states. Shame they couldn't track that sucktomer down x.x

It's one thing to ask that others wear masks (politely), but there is no excuse to actually get physical.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• My state is removing restrictions. I still wear a mask. My dad has MS and I help care for him. A simple cold nearly killed him last Christmas (he has no memory of anything for the start of Dec until the end of Jan.) COVID will kill him if he gets it. I get people harassing me almost every time I go out because of my mask. I'm tired of people telling me that I'm not required to wear it anymore so I need to take it off. Last week a guy stomped over to me demanding I take it off. I told him that I have a vulnerable person in my household and I'm not willing to risk their life even if the chances are very low of catching COVID. He called me a "commie sheep" and started to reach for me. He only stopped when his wife, who was wearing a mask, told him to knock it off and stop acting like a jacka$$.

I'm so tired of this. I'm tired of having to spend most of my time at home, away from people. I'm tired of being told that one of the simplest and easiest things we can do to fight a pandemic is nothing but political statement when a freaking DOCTOR told us we need to wear them out in public to protect my dad. I'm tired of being told that I'm the selfish one when I don't want people in my family to die an avoidable death. I'm tired of this entire damn year.

Comment

• I found out today that my friend who's mom was moved into long term care because of her stroke, and Alzheimer's, is "allowed" to see her - through a window.

I'm happy he can "see" her, and am truly happy for them. It also makes my blood totally boil at the same time that he actually can't be with her, when she needs him.

Believe me, my blood boils a lot lately, but I can't go into it here.

Also, still no update on my other friend who needs to get married to make his better half happy.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Today marks sixth months since I last worked onsite. We were supposedly going to be sent home just for the rest of the week, but we all know how that turned out. My wife and I are both going to be working from home for the rest of the year. I had to drop in briefly one afternoon last week so they could give me a new laptop, and it was weird seeing the building that empty during working hours. On another note, my new laptop has an SSD. I never used one before, although I've had my eye on them for awhile. Damn, those things are fast! I finally broke down and ordered one for my personal machine.

Our numbers have been bouncing around between roughly 500 and 1000 the last few weeks. Despite this, several schools are planning to return to in-person classes either part-time or full-time. Restaurants and bars got a bit of good news -- they're going to be allowed to return to 50% capacity (currently at 25%), although this comes at a significant cost to establishments that serve alcohol -- alcohol sales have to be cut off at 10 pm now. Which doesn't work for me, since I'm a night person and sometimes I'm just arriving around then. I've heard that a few places are starting up karaoke again, but I think I'll wait until the restrictions ease up.

On a somewhat related note, a federal judge ruled the restrictions our governor had in place as "unconstitutional." If I understand correctly, this mainly referred to the lockdown when it was in place. Not sure how much, if anything, this is going to change with the current restrictions since the last of the counties on lockdown were released from it roughly three months ago.

I signed up for vaccine trials. I figure if I can do something to help bring this under control and return us to a normal life, why not? However, judging by the questions when I applied, they probably don't want me. It sounded like they want people who are out among people on a regular basis, and most of the time I am not. However, time will tell.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• It's been about six months for us, too. I'm not sure I want to go back but some days I feel like I want to because now I'll be living with people.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Six months ago I walked out of my last job, thinking I was off for 2 weeks. 5 months later I was still getting paid to sit at home and be unproductive, because they couldn't let go of the fact that they were going to be forced to let people work from home, and I landed a much better paying job, where I'm treated better and like an adult, and I get to work from home forever. I love it.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• I'm starting to think that WFH would be a better choice for me at least until a vaccine or maybe just in general...my "I hate people" button seems to be triggered almost every time I go out now.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-19-2020, 07:30 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Guy came through my line the other day and went to pay with cash ... he was one of those guys who licks his thumb before sifting through his bills.

Unfortunately ... his mask was in the way.

He just looked at me and laughed, in some embarrassment. I had to laugh too (easy to do since I wouldn't be handling licked-thumb bills. UCK.)

So do we count that as a "plus" for COVID ... that it's helping at least some people stop a bad habit?
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I tend to lick drips off of my hand when I'm carrying a to-go cup. Can't count how many times I've went to do that and gotten a mouthful of mask instead.

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        I tend to lick drips off of my hand when I'm carrying a to-go cup. Can't count how many times I've went to do that and gotten a mouthful of mask instead.
                        Omg, when I get produce I normally just breath (never lick, bleck) on my fingers so I can get those thin plastic bags open. It's funny to go to do that and realize it won't work.

That being said, I've been doing curbside pickup for weeks now since it's free and there are plenty of open time slots so I'm not getting a space that an at risk person should have.

Also, Arcus, people in some places are truly scary if you wear a mask aren't they?? I was so surprised recently. I had to do a long road trip which brought me to some states that are very against masks, even though the signs indicated they were supposed to be mandatory. I mean, I just wanted to use the rest room of a gas station and I got flat out death glares. People stopping what they were doing and silently watching me walk through the mini mart. I was concerned my car would be vandalized, honestly. I had only read about this sort of thing online. On my trip, in that same state I heard a lady in the restroom flush the toilet and walk straight out the door without washing her hands. People are NASTY and I'm wearing masks for a long time to come.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• We're strange here

A local distiller (Ogden, Utah) is producing hand sanitizer. You have your choice of "Five Husbands" or "Five Wives".
                          If you'll pick it up you can get a 2.5 gallon jug.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                            A local distiller (Ogden, Utah) is producing hand sanitizer. You have your choice of "Five Husbands" or "Five Wives".
                            hmmm.... I may have to take a trip to get some of that. I see they have a 5 gallon version too
                            Last edited by Arcus; 09-22-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• I never realized how useful those composting toilets are until using one when we went through a nature preserve a few days ago. Far fewer touch points in the restroom.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                                I'll take the "Five Husbands" please....oh, wait, I can't get actual five husbands? Well, damn.

That does sound like a good idea, though -- I could pick up one.
                                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X