This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Kindness

I did something nice for someone, just 'cause.

/background Boyfriend writes books, and has beta readers from among his fans. He recently recruited me to collate the beta readers' corrections to his manuscript, and I also joined the fan channel one of them has set up on Discord. Guy and his girlfriend are college students, and money is pretty tight for them. /background

The channel owner has a 3d printer, but alas it had been non-functional for the better part of a year. To me, this is shameful. Makers gotta make. I was able to suss out the fix for part of his problem, and he worked out the rest on his own. The really nice thing I did was order and have shipped to him a flexible bed system for his printer, to eliminate one of the persistent problems he'd had with prints adhering TOO well. The second part, that he doesn't know about yet, is the 9 rolls of filament he'll get a few days later.

His girlfriend messaged me directly after we worked out the first part of fixing his printer, to tell me how over the moon happy he was. He'd been kind of in a funk for a while, because they dropped a lot of money on this thing, and hadn't been able to do anything with it, and couldn't afford to put more money into trying to get it working again.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

"Someday my prints will come..."
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's cool. My stepfather has a 3-D printer, but his verdict is that they're not really ready for the general public -- too complicated and finicky. (He himself is not "general public", being a lifelong engineer. He got the printer to make parts for other stuff he's building.)

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
        That's cool. My stepfather has a 3-D printer, but his verdict is that they're not really ready for the general public -- too complicated and finicky. (He himself is not "general public", being a lifelong engineer. He got the printer to make parts for other stuff he's building.)
        I sort of disagree. I'm a 'general public' and I've been having a blast with my printer, making all sorts of fun and useful bits. There are finicky bits, sure, but nothing more complex to work out than learning new cooking techniques. I refer to it as "my first-generation Star Trek replicator".
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My stepfather's complaint is that the amount of fiddling, debugging, and fixing needed to get the thing to work was well beyond what would be appropriate for a "consumer gadget", and he's been hearing about a similar level of persnickityness on multiple forums and across a variety of makers for the printers, including the ones that come pre-assembled.

Then there was the point that Amazon had offered to send someone over to assemble it for him.... they sent some random dude who was barely more than a hobbyist, had never built one of them, and thought he'd be able to knock it together in an afternoon. The assembly instructions themselves promised 12 hours of work, but in fact (after the Amazon guy had given up) it took my stepdad rather more than that just because of the fiddling and parts issues. And he'd gotten the best-rated kit he could find!

Comment

Working...
          X