This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three sightings in my city

So between yesterday and this weekend, I had two sightings that still leave me boggled. Plus I just remembered a third sighting a few weeks back so I'll toss it in here.

Sighting One

First, on the weekend. My city has a 1 way street (Queen street) for one of its main downtown streets. I was coming out of a parking lot next to the city hall and was waiting at a light behind a car from out of province. At that light, we could go straight (across Queen) or we can go right (onto Queen). As the light was changing to green, to my surprise, the car in front of me turned on their LEFT turn signal.

"They're not going to do what I think they're going to do." I thought to myself, while rolling down my window just in case.

The light turned green, and to my amazement they did start swinging across to go the wrong way on Queen. (Note there was also traffic in the other direction waiting to turn left onto Queen from their direction).

I laid on the horn and frantically started pointing the other way, and they thankfully clued in, straightened up and went straight.

What was surprising was that I then basically followed them from downtown all the way up the hill to the other end of the street they were on in the first place. (despite there being multiple opportunities to legally turn left along the way).

Sighting Two

Another sighting, this time from a few weeks back. The opposite one way direction street from Queen street is Brunswick Street. I was on Brunswick street going straight down the street. I was stopped at a light with a two way street. There is a left turning lane onto that street and thankfully no traffic (normally there is at least one car waiting to turn left).

Out of nowhere, I think their light was yellow at that point) a car came down, turned off the other street into the left turn lane (going the wrong way of course) and turned into the dentists office just off that lane. Thank goodness no one was in there for once.

Sighting Three

This was a pedestrian sighting I saw yesterday. This is the intersection that is basically the main entrance to downtown. It's going to be turned into a Roundabout in a year or two, but for now, you basically have the one way streets splitting here, along with a main north-south thoroughfare.

I saw a women in a motorized scooter on the sidewalk under the green arrow lights you can see on the GoogleMaps streetview link, obviously waiting to cross. You'll notice she could cross Brunswick (going right from the image perspective) with a signal. She could even go and cross King (to the left) also with a walk signal.

That intersection has a full set of Arrow signals and Straight ahead signals.

So, (and this was Noon hour so things were busy), the lights change to the mode you see in the Google view; left green arrows in both directions. As soon as the lights changed that way, she zoomed from her corner, cutting across Smythe street through the middle of the intersection, and onto the sidewalk corner to the image's left. (Basically right in front of where the dumptruck is in that view). And yes, there was traffic turning from both directions; not that she gave a damn about it.

(In the time I was waiting at the light and watching her, she had plenty of time to go over and cross King street even without the walk signal, then wait for a proper walk signal to cross to her destination corner)

"You're going the wrong way!" "Screw you buddy! <aside> How the hell would he know where we're going?"

Comment

Working...
    X