This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verrry slooow computer... large services controller app

My computer has gone disconcertingly slow-I thought at first it was due to swapping broadband providers(we dropped service regularly) but having checked through all the things that could be doing it,I've confirmed on Task Manager that my services and controller app is using a lot of power. It's going at like 75%-85% of CPU and everything else is 1 or 2 %.
    How do I reduce it down and so get my computer back up to being speedy again. I'm not used to delving into internal bits so I don't want to delete anything in case it's something vital that the computer can't run without!
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

AV/etc:

- Run an antivirus scan -- free progs abound -- if anyone can suggest any, please do. Grab the app, update it, update again just to be sure, run a full scan while as little else is running as possible (boot into safe mode if at all possible when you're ready to actually scan). Ditto the next two

- Run an antispyware scan (I like SpyBot S&D) -- free ones everywhere
    - Run ADWCleaner -- It's part of MWB now, but the standalone version is free. Can find and eliminate some persistent, nasty stuff that other programs miss (e.g. SearchSafe/Conduit). Note: NOT CCleaner.

General computer stuff:
    - Make sure that your C: drive has at least 20% free space, preferably 30%. below 30 will cause some slowdown, below 20 will bring most systems down to a crawl. Move large non-program files such as videos, music to other drives or backups.
    - Check the Startup tab in TaskMgr to prevent things that don't really need to run at startup from doing so
    - Update your device drivers

Optional (with help from a local techie friend):
    - Find and use OOShutUp10 (if using windows 10) to force Windows to stop using some of the more annoying features that could be causing an issue
    - Maybe check the disk itself for errors (chkdsk) - might need help with this if not familiar

If anyone else can chip in, kindly do so ^_^

I hope this helps!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I find turning my computer on helps a lot when I have this problem.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

As far as Antivirus goes, there's this (free): https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/for...housecall.html

And also Avast:

https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#pc
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Another item of note, when was the last time it was rebooted? i believe with win8 they changed how the restart and shutdown function. shutdown is now more of a hybrid of sleep and hibernate while restart actually clears things out and refreshes the persistent caches. i have found that if i get more than 14 days of uptime showing in taskmanager under the CPU tab mine will act up.
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

This is what happens with my mom's computer; she has a laptop, and basically leaves it on 24/7

Also try Malwarebytes in terms of tools....Spybot Search & Destroy is great, but they're charging for it now. I did find a free trial download https://www.spybot-free-download.com/
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yeah, Spybot S&D has had a paid version that include AV for ages now. The free version still does anti-spyware and browser "immunization" (the main reason I use it -- blocks thousands of known malicious sites), though updates and scans must be triggered manually. Note -- When you update, run it more than once. Sometimes it doesn't snag all of the updates at once, especially if it's been a while.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X