This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mjr View Post
    It could. Some cars come with timing chains that don't run on metal sprockets, so the teeth on the sprockets wear out over time.

My mother had a car where she needed her timing chain replaced, and the replacement sprocket didn't come with metal teeth.
    True, and sometimes they just wear out. SHould have been a bit clearer. COnsidering i plan on driving my car until its dead, which could be 200K or more, i may. But i know i won't have to replace at 60K mile intervals or whatever belts are.

Comment

The serpentine belt let go in my Jeep, since it didn't want to go alone it took out the water pump too.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I got lucky when the timing belt in my Elantra decided to quit - I was just starting the engine up, so no collateral damage.

Of course, that car was taken out 9 months later by a gentleman who put the emphasis on the I in DWI (likely both drunk and high according to the cop), so you can't win everything...
        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
          The serpentine belt let go in my Jeep, since it didn't want to go alone it took out the water pump too.
          The same thing happened to my first car. It decided to crap out on me while I was sitting in traffic, in a construction zone on the interstate. I didn't realize anything had happened until I tried to give it gas. I had to push it through the cones to get it off the road.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

gotta love interference engines.

I'm curious if a fiber optic camera down the spark plug holes could determine whether or not the valves were bent... a new head/new valves would be cheaper (parts wise) than a new engine... but if the bottom end had problems, you'd be out even more money.

Comment

No, the optical camera can't get in there. You have to take the valves out one by one and inspect them.

Comment

A borescope can get into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole, but it can't necessarily tell that the valves are bent just by looking. To be sure, you really do need to remove the valve and inspect it.

You can see witness marks on top of the piston where the valve impacted, but those don't always mean that the valves are bent. Of course, if you see a piece of valve embedded in the piston crown, that's a stronger indication....
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

figured as much... seeing as how it only takes a little bend to make the valve not seal. combine a borescope and rotating the valve and you might see a bend.

need to find the picture I saw years ago where somebody had dropped an allen bit down into the cylinder.

edit: found it... torx bit
                  Last edited by roxtar; 01-21-2016, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                    need to find the picture I saw years ago where somebody had dropped an allen bit down into the cylinder.
                    Now, I'm no mechanic but even I can see that's knackered. How much to replace all that?
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                      Now, I'm no mechanic but even I can see that's knackered. How much to replace all that?
                      no clue... you'd need a new head, new piston (maybe rods/bearings/crankshaft), and possibly machine/sleeve the block depending on what kind of damage it did to the walls.
                      cheaper to just swap in a different engine.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post

edit: found it... torx bit
                        Damn... Shows how tough those little bits are though!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

There's a reason that there's a special designation for "tool steel". It's very tough stuff!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Now, I'm no mechanic but even I can see that's knackered.
                            As the Mythbusters would phrase it: "Well, there's your problem."
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yow.

Quoth roxtar View Post
                              Oh, my. I especially like where at the left you can see the bit's inscription cast in relief on the cylinder bottom.

Comment

Knackered? No, that's truly and royally...fucked

As to cost, the engine would have to come out, get stripped down, and everything inspected for damage. Cost? Probably a grand or more. That doesn't include the obvious new cylinder head, valves, and any machining work. Probably another grand or so for the parts, putting it all back together, and resetting the ignition timing. Unless the car is a classic, you'd be better off buying a good used engine and rebuilding it.

Sometimes you can't do that. I got very lucky when the MG's engine finally went some years ago. All I had to do was fit a new cylinder head (complete with hardened valve seats, so I could run the car on unleaded), have some light machining done, and fit new gaskets. I got very lucky that the engine block wasn't damaged--scrapyards aren't exactly teeming with them, and rebuilt blocks usually run about two grand
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X