This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Auto Shop: SC SMASH!!

BG: This SC has two early 2000's boat cars (think Lincoln or Cadillac) that he is very proud of. He originally came to us because he couldn't figure out why one of them was pouring gas after he replaced the fuel pump. Helps if you don't install it backwards...just saying. His other one has a couple of bullet holes from his not so sparkly past. /BG

He drops off one of the cars because the car was having issues starting after replacing the ignition. We determine what the car needs, get the part ordered, and fix the car. The timeline is as follows.

1:45 - Called and left a message letting him know the car is done.

4:15 - He calls back and pays over the phone with a CC, asks when we close (6:00 PM) and says he's on his way now to pick up the car. As he can see the shop from his house, we figured we would see him within the next 5 min.

6:00 - No sign of him, no calls saying he's running late so we figure he's coming in the AM and we pull the car into the bay, and prepare to leave.

6:15 - All the lights are off, and we're getting ready to walk out the door when I see his other car pull into the lot. I had stuff to do after work and really, really didn't want to hang out and talk to him so my hubby and I hid when we saw the lights.

He comes up to the door, knocks, then we hear a lot of angry muttering. He then pounds on the door, starts cussing up a storm, calls the shop twice, then he comes back to the door and starts kicking it, calls the shop three more times while pounding on the door and screaming F*** over and over. It was a pretty awesome tantrum. He never once tried to open the door though , which was lucky for us as the door was unlocked as we were just getting ready to set the alarm and walk out to our car.

We didn't hear from him for a week, his VM was full and we finally just got fed up with it and dropped his car off at his house (all of a block away). I needed the space. He was pretty happy with that. He now has the special SC rate added to any future work lol.

That went surprisingly well, all things considered... Amazing how they can be in a rush right up until the last minute, then decide it's not worth the hassle for days!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Should have charged him for storage.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Thought about it, but we didn't have a sign up saying we would charge for storage at that time. It changed quickly after that day lol.

Comment

Wow. the entitlement is strong with that one!

I always try and pick up my car the day its ready, as my mechanic has limited space. One time though; i needed some work done, and was going on vacation. I had an idea, but asked to make sure first, rather than just assume. My idea was, IF they were willing to keep my car while i was gone, i could have them do it the week I was away. Gave them flexibilty to do it at their convenience, and me, in taht i didn't have to arrange transportation while they fixed it.

they said sure, but had they not, I would have made alternate arrangements.

Comment

There's the difference. You asked, and you offered them a potential advantage/benefit in the deal as well.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              Amazing how they can be in a rush right up until the last minute, then decide it's not worth the hassle for days!
              I used to alter clothing in a department store. I lost track of the number of times someone *had to have* this, that, or the other for her vacation, she was flying out in 3 days, could we put a rush on it? Then when called and informed it was ready said she didn't have time to pick it up. Bonus points: we're five minutes from the airport.

Comment

Quoth peach2play View Post
                BG: This SC has two early 2000's boat cars
                Boat cars?

(think Lincoln or Cadillac)
                ...Oh.

This has been "Look! A Squirrel!" Theater, brought to you by my brain.

Comment

BG: This SC has two early 2000's boat cars (think Lincoln or Cadillac) that he is very proud of.
                  Like this:

We used to call them "land yachts."
                  Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 01-28-2016, 12:36 AM.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    We used to call them "land yachts."
                    I still call them land yachts. Mostly because they have the turning circle of a cruise ship...and handle like one too!
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      I still call them land yachts. Mostly because they have the turning circle of a cruise ship...and handle like one too!
                      Sounds like my grandmother's 70's Torana. big ,heavy and with a turning circle like a tank. She only got rid of it because it got too heavy for her (no power steering and she was in her 70's). It was in great condition when she did sell though only sun fading on the vinyl roof and ended up as a display model in a dealership showroom floor in Sydney.

Comment

My grandmother once tooled around in an '85 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale...similar to this one. Same color, dark blue vinyl top, blue interior IIRC. My grandfather loved that car, the last one he bought new. It only got sold because Grandma hated parking it. It was simply too big. Powerful as hell though--that V8 ensured it would really haul on the highway BTW, '85 was the last year for Olds full-size cars with rear wheel drive. They were all (except for the wagons) downsized and FWD starting in '86.
                        Attached Files
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                          turning circle like a tank
                          Actually, many tanks can turn in their own length, if they can drive one track forwards and the other backwards. Most others can turn in twice their own width, by holding one track locked and driving with the other.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRpeSSwpvE

Comment

This old friend of mine, she loves giant cars. But she can maneuver them so well. I remember riding with her in her Crown Vic, and I'd hold my breath, but it was smooth sailing all the way.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                              Actually, many tanks can turn in their own length, if they can drive one track forwards and the other backwards.
                              How about "Turning circle like a tanker", then?
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X